Contribute
Register

Success! Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Mountain Lion Install!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boot Mountain Lion with the -v flag when you go to select it.

See where it's hanging up.

Post back when you find out, from there I can help you out!

Under the SSDT I chose Core i7. During setup and initial boot I had to use PCIRootUID=0 as well in order to. Once MultiBeast is complete (after I chose all the exact same options as you), I get to the boot screen with the apple on it and the dial keeps spinning. If I do -v during boot, it will get through everything until the same apple screen and the dial will spin without giving me any additional information.

How come the initial boot works? Is there a way I can try different options with MultiBeast without having to constantly format and reinstall?

Also, Window 8 Preview works great! It was a little tough to get used to (couldn't find the shutdown or restart button!!!!) but I like it...

Under the SSDT I chose Core i7. During setup and initial boot I had to use PCIRootUID=0 as well in order to. Once MultiBeast is complete (after I chose all the exact same options as you), I get to the boot screen with the apple on it and the dial keeps spinning. If I do -v during boot, it will get through everything until the same apple screen and the dial will spin without giving me any additional information.

How come the initial boot works? Is there a way I can try different options with MultiBeast without having to constantly format and reinstall?

Also, Window 8 Preview works great! It was a little tough to get used to (couldn't find the shutdown or restart button!!!!) but I like it...

Have you tried to boot it from the Unibeast Flash Drive you made for the install?

If you can, then run multibeast again, this time uncheck the Patch ApplePowerManagement option. See if it does anything. Running multibeast again should overwrite the original multibeast install (although I'm not 100% sure).
Worth a shot though!
Did you try to boot in safe mode?

Have you tried to boot it from the Unibeast Flash Drive you made for the install?

If you can, then run multibeast again, this time uncheck the Patch ApplePowerManagement option. See if it does anything. Running multibeast again should overwrite the original multibeast install (although I'm not 100% sure).
Worth a shot though!
Did you try to boot in safe mode?

Thanks for your help. I am able to use the UniBeast USB to boot the system (with flag PCIRootUID=0). I tried making the changes you mentioned in Muultibeast one at a time, and none worked.

I suspect this is a graphics card issue, but I have no idea anymore. The machine worked perfectly fine under Lion without any special flags (although I didn't have a UEFI Bios). How come it's able to boot with Unibeast? Everything seems to be working fine when I boot with Unibeast.

I'm about to attempt this with trepidation. Will be back later...

Michaelj1003: if you haven't already, it's got to be worth trying a Repair Permissions in Multibeast?

Thanks for your help. I am able to use the UniBeast USB to boot the system (with flag PCIRootUID=0). I tried making the changes you mentioned in Muultibeast one at a time, and none worked.

I suspect this is a graphics card issue, but I have no idea anymore. The machine worked perfectly fine under Lion without any special flags (although I didn't have a UEFI Bios). How come it's able to boot with Unibeast? Everything seems to be working fine when I boot with Unibeast.

It sounds like a driver that's causing issues.

What graphics card are you using?

Also, in Multibeast, find the option that says repair permissions like adrianjgsmith said and see if it helps any.

FINALLY GOT IT WORKING! So here is EXACTLY what I did for my Windows 8 (Preview) / Mountain Lion 10.8.1 Unibeast Setup

Hardware:
Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 UEFI Bios
Zotac NVidia GTX550 ZT-50402-10L 1gb (Using the DisplayPort)
128gb SSD (Partitioned with both Windows/OSX)

1. Partitioned the SSD with 2 Partitions (GUID) for dual boot (straight forward followed the guides already available) and installed Windows
2. Boot into Unibeast OSX setup using the PCIRootUID=0 flag
3. Go through setup and when computer restarts, boot into OSX using following flags: -v -x -PCIRootUID=0
4. Go through setup process (create username etc.)
5. Download Multibeast and select these options:

Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 9.32.39 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-09-06 at 9.32.52 AM.jpg

6. Restart computer and boot with without any boot flags.

I didn't have to remove my graphics card or anything. I watched the following YouTube video for guidance. Let me know if I can be on any assistance!

FINALLY GOT IT WORKING! So here is EXACTLY what I did for my Windows 8 (Preview) / Mountain Lion 10.8.1 Unibeast Setup

Hardware:
Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 UEFI Bios
Zotac NVidia GTX550 ZT-50402-10L 1gb (Using the DisplayPort)
128gb SSD (Partitioned with both Windows/OSX)

1. Partitioned the SSD with 2 Partitions (GUID) for dual boot (straight forward followed the guides already available) and installed Windows
2. Boot into Unibeast OSX setup using the PCIRootUID=0 flag
3. Go through setup and when computer restarts, boot into OSX using following flags: -v -x -PCIRootUID=0
4. Go through setup process (create username etc.)
5. Download Multibeast and select these options:

View attachment 30720View attachment 30721

6. Restart computer and boot with without any boot flags.

I didn't have to remove my graphics card or anything. I watched the following YouTube video for guidance. Let me know if I can be on any assistance!

Did you select the options for your graphics card the first few times you ran Multibeast?

Graphics cards make a huge difference in how an OSX Install will go.

Glad you got it working though!

Thanks, much appreciated!

In the meantime I seem to have resolved the situation. I had set Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology to Enabled the first times I tried but with Auto it works very well. Am currently @ 42 41 40 39.

After some playing around I got a decent overclock setting set. Not 100% sure if it's stable, I'm still playing with the voltages. I'm not used to overclocking with this BIOS, it's different.

But here's what I set my settings at.
Turbo Boost: Auto
Core 1: 42
Core 2: 42
Core 3: 42
Core 4: 41

Core Voltage: Normal
Vcore: +0.00

This has given me so far, a stable 4.2Ghz overclock.

As soon as I get my Liquid Cooled CPU Cooler I'm bumping up to 4.6 ;)

Did you select the options for your graphics card the first few times you ran Multibeast?

Graphics cards make a huge difference in how an OSX Install will go.

Glad you got it working though!

I tried MANY permutations and this board was extremely helpful!

Just an FYI- my graphics card is not compatible with 10.8.1 yet and as a result, I get crazy graphics, random lockups, and no suspend. Hopefully something will come out soon...I don't want to buy another card! I haven't yet, but I'm going to remove my card and use my on-board graphics.

I would get Kernel Panic if I didn't add select the Patched AppleCPUPowerManagement.

Are you running the new BIOS?

Yeah i'm running U1c. I wish i could offer some advice on what to try, but sadly i dont :(
That's weird though, Gig boards usually dont ever need the CPUManagement fix. Interesting, perhaps someone who knows more about it can chime in and help u out with that (not that its a big deal, but just for the sake of knowledge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back