Device (PNLF)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
            Name (_CID, "backlight")
            Name (_UID, 0x0A)
            Name (_STA, 0x0B)
        }
    }

Also, ACPIBacklight.kext is still not installed.

I looked at your ioreg. I can extract your DSDT from it. I can see what PNLF patch is present and verify it is not the correct one. I can also verify no GFX0->IGPU rename was done. I can also see in ioreg, that ACPIBacklight.kext is not loaded.

Double check the files for yourself... This has pilot error written all over it. Since you're a programmer, you should have no trouble tracking down your mistake(s).

Further details/proof are in post #16.

I also checked the link to to set up power management (it was using nullcpupowermanagement, strangely enough it didn't break sleep), installed patched AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement but after login it freezes, if I boot with DSDT=No then it doesn't freeze but it breaks the bluetooth. so something most be wrong in the dsdt, if only you could take a look at it . Thank you again.

Attachments

• alex’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    2.4 MB · Views: 85
Still wrong brightness patch. From your DSDT:
Code:
    Scope (_SB)
    {
        Device (PNLF)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
            Name (_CID, "backlight")
            Name (_UID, 0x0A)
            Name (_STA, 0x0B)
        }
    }

Also, ACPIBacklight.kext is still not installed.

See the screenshot, it shows ACPIBacklight.kext in /System/Library/Extensions. Also now the brightness bar is gone from System Preferences and keyboard function keys (it was there before although it didn't work).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 4.19.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 4.19.29 PM.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 93
See the screenshot, it shows ACPIBacklight.kext in /System/Library/Extensions

If it is improperly placed there, then it doesn't matter. Make sure you repair permissions & rebuild cache. Make sure cache rebuild is error free.

Also, not sure what happens when you use an incorrect smbios, as you are...

I also checked the link to to set up power management (it was using nullcpupowermanagement, strangely enough it didn't break sleep), installed patched AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement but after login it freezes, if I boot with DSDT=No then it doesn't freeze but it breaks the bluetooth. so something most be wrong in the dsdt, if only you could take a look at it . Thank you again.

You should check all items on the checklist.

From my quick look:
- there are a lot of SSDTs in ioreg. Likely you're not using DropSSDT=Yes.
- MacPro3,1 is not correct for your laptop.
- X86PlatformPlugin is not loaded, indicates incorrect AppleACPIPlatform or no custom SSDT for CPU pstates/cstates/plugin-type=1.

What do you mean by 'breaks the bluetooth'?

What patches have you applied to your DSDT?

The ones from this list (from my repo) are typical:
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Fix PNOT/PPNT"
"Add IMEI"
"7-series/8-series USB"

Also, SoundFlower is known to cause issues...

You should check all items on the checklist.

From my quick look:
- there are a lot of SSDTs in ioreg. Likely you're not using DropSSDT=Yes.
- MacPro3,1 is not correct for your laptop.
- X86PlatformPlugin is not loaded, indicates incorrect AppleACPIPlatform or no custom SSDT for CPU pstates/cstates/plugin-type=1.

What do you mean by 'breaks the bluetooth'?

What patches have you applied to your DSDT?

The ones from this list (from my repo) are typical:
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Fix PNOT/PPNT"
"Add IMEI"
"7-series/8-series USB"

Also, SoundFlower is known to cause issues...

you are 100% correct that I am not using DropSSDT=Yes, although I wasn't aware that there were more that the one in extra folder.
if MacPro3,1 is not correct for my laptop which is?
The AppleACPIPlatform currently installed is a patched one I found somewhere and it worked fine fixing the kernel panics. Should I use a different one?
The only patches in the DSDT are the one for audio, setting Layout to 28 in HDEF, and the ones you recommended today to fix screen brightness (renaming all GFX0 to IGPU) and Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000).
I will uninstall SoundFlower right away!
This is getting complicated by the minute.
Thank you.

you are 100% correct that I am not using DropSSDT=Yes, although I wasn't aware that there were more that the one in extra folder.
if MacPro3,1 is not correct for my laptop which is?
The AppleACPIPlatform currently installed is a patched one I found somewhere and it worked fine fixing the kernel panics. Should I use a different one?

DropSSDT/smbios/and AppleACPIPlatform are all issues covered in the power management post.

You should check your version of ACPIPlatform:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat

Correct version for 10.9.4 is 2.0.

The only patches in the DSDT are ...Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000).
[/COLOR]...

Except you actually applied "Brightness Fix", not "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"

DropSSDT/smbios/and AppleACPIPlatform are all issues covered in the power management post.

You should check your version of ACPIPlatform:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat

Correct version for 10.9.4 is 2.0.

Except you actually applied "Brightness Fix", not "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"

Current ACPIPlatform version is: 1.6, so will try to find and install 2.0
will also reinstall the Brightness Fix as per your previous post.
But what is causing the bluetooth not to work? Is shows as disabled and the Enable button is grayed out. I must be something wrong in the DSDT regarding the bluetooth right? It was working fine before, although the fact remains that I didn't change the dsdt it happened after I installed patched AppleIntelCpuPowerManagment, for some reason nullcpupowermanagement seemed to do the trick.

But what is causing the bluetooth not to work? Is shows as disabled and the Enable button is grayed out. I must be something wrong in the DSDT regarding the bluetooth right? It was working fine before, although the fact remains that I didn't change the dsdt it happened after I installed patched AppleIntelCpuPowerManagment, for some reason nullcpupowermanagement seemed to do the trick.

Do I need to fix the bluetooth problem in DSDT before I install ACPIPlatform 2.0 so I can use the DSDT? Otherwise I fear kernel panics will arrive without dsdt.

I don't use BT, but BT is usually on the USB bus. So... assuming you have USB working, DSDT is irrelevant to BT.

Best way to get correct AppleACPIPlatform is with fresh install. Either fresh install and start over, or fresh install to a second partition so you can install the kext from there to your original partition.

Given all the other things going on with your install, a fresh install might not be out of the question anyway. Correct power management should be the first thing you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Do I need to fix the bluetooth problem in DSDT before I install ACPIPlatform 2.0 so I can use the DSDT? Otherwise I fear kernel panics will arrive without dsdt.

Most machines can boot with the native DSDT.

If you're getting a KP, post a quality photo of the entire screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back