Contribute
Register

*Repost* Need help getting Mavericks running on Dell XPS 15 l521x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow the instructions/apply the patches as described in post #7.

Make sure you read the README at the first link.

I followed the instructions and renamed ALL of the "GFX0" strings to "IGPU" in the DSDT in my extra folder, after that applied the brightness patch for HD3000/HD/4000 and restarted, it booted fine but after login if froze, I made a shutdown holding power button pressed and restarted, this time it didn't freeze, but the brightness still doesn't work. Just so you know the DSDT I have in my extra folder I extracted it with DSDT Editor and patched it myself for audio.

I followed the instructions and renamed ALL of the "GFX0" strings to "IGPU" in the DSDT in my extra folder, after that applied the brightness patch for HD3000/HD/4000 and restarted, it booted fine but after login if froze, I made a shutdown holding power button pressed and restarted, this time it didn't freeze, but the brightness still doesn't work. Just so you know the DSDT I have in my extra folder I extracted it with DSDT Editor and patched it myself for audio.

No need to manually rename GFX -> IGPU. Just use the patch... (as per the instructions)

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Attachments

• alex’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    3.8 MB · Views: 80
being a programmer myself it felt more natural to just replace the texts in the code in One step, anyways I checked the patch and it seems to be doing exactly that so there should be no problem.
Here is the ioreg.

A few things wrong:
- power management is not implemented correctly: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-haswell-laptops.html
- you did not install ACPIBacklight.kext (read instructions carefully)
- you did not use the correct brightness patch (read instructions carefully)

A few things wrong:
- power management is not implemented correctly: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-haswell-laptops.html
- you did not install ACPIBacklight.kext (read instructions carefully)
- you did not use the correct brightness patch (read instructions carefully)

I think I did follow the instructions and applied path: add HD3000/HD4000 specific brightness fix
Also installed kext 1227 in Release folder from here: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-acpi-backlight/downloads
So it must be the power management that is wrong because I replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext with a patched one a few a few days ago to avoid a kernel panic on boot.
I read the instructions you sent me to try to fix power management later if I am brave enough.
Thank you!

I think I did follow the instructions and applied path: add HD3000/HD4000 specific brightness fix

You did not.

From your DSDT:
Code:
        Device (PNLF)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
            Name (_CID, "backlight")
            Name (_UID, 0x0A)
            Name (_STA, 0x0B)
        }

Conclusion: wrong patch.

In fact/in addition, GFX0 is still IGPU. This is easy to see in ioreg:

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 11.15.03 AM.png

Also installed kext 1227 in Release folder from here: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-acpi-backlight/downloads

You did not. If you did, PNLF device in ioreg would have ACPIBacklightPanel attached instead of AppleIntelPanelA.

ioreg shot:
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 11.14.17 AM.png

So it must be the power management that is wrong because I replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext with a
patched one a few a few days ago to avoid a kernel panic on boot.

There is more wrong than just AppleACPIPlatform.kext (in fact, I cannot see the version of ACPIPlatform you have in ioreg, but I can see other things wrong).

You did not.

You did not.

There is more wrong than just AppleACPIPlatform.kext (in fact, I cannot see the version of ACPIPlatform you have in ioreg, but I can see other things wrong).

What do you mean I did not? I am telling you am positive.
also ioRegistryExplorer froze a couple of times, I had to force quite each time.

What do you mean I did not? I am telling you am positive.
also ioRegistryExplorer froze a couple of times, I had to force quite each time.

I looked at your ioreg. I can extract your DSDT from it. I can see what PNLF patch is present and verify it is not the correct one. I can also verify no GFX0->IGPU rename was done. I can also see in ioreg, that ACPIBacklight.kext is not loaded.

Double check the files for yourself... This has pilot error written all over it. Since you're a programmer, you should have no trouble tracking down your mistake(s).

Further details/proof are in post #16.

I looked at your ioreg. I can extract your DSDT from it. I can see what PNLF patch is present and verify it is not the correct one. I can also verify no GFX0->IGPU rename was done. I can also see in ioreg, that ACPIBacklight.kext is not loaded.

Double check the files for yourself... This has pilot error written all over it. Since you're a programmer, you should have no trouble tracking down your mistake(s).

Further details/proof are in post #16.

****t I didn't copy the DSDT to the extra :banghead:, sorry my bad. will be right back with new info.

here is the ioreg with new dsdt installed and verified not to contain GFX0
Thank you

Attachments

• alex’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    3.8 MB · Views: 93
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back