Contribute
Register

Playstation Three Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really impressed by the quality of your build and the in-depth explanation you provided all along its progress. Props! :thumbup:

I'm really impressed by the quality of your build and the in-depth explanation you provided all along its progress. Props! :thumbup:

Thx for your comment eebec . I did my best all along to share the information and to do it step by step. Sometimes it takes much more time to take the photos and write it than the time it took to do it for real. But because I believe it can be useful for some one else I share the information on our favorite forum.

Cheers.

Hello everybody,
Last time I wasn’t able to get sound trough HDMI.
After many hours of reading, trying, stuffing, reverting, restoring I finally find a way to make it.
I don’t understand why this is so complicated to setup.
Thx to toleda for all the efforts and sharing your knowledge

I found the solution to my problem, here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/155017-newbie-no-hdmi-audio-intel-hd-4600-a-2.html thx guys.

I don’t know if this applies to other motherboards so lets suppose it doesn’t.
First of all this applies to GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI without extra graphic card.
I’m using the Intel I3 4350T CPU with HD4600 graphics.

First step:
Power OFF the rig then disconnect any monitor from the motherboard connect only one HDMI cable to the first HDMI port and to your TV (or Amplifier) HDMI port. Start your TV (or amplifier) then start your rig.
hdmi1.jpg

First of all Multibeast (v7.2 for Yosemite):
Add Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Optional HDAEnabler > Audio ID:1
and install it (just this nothing else, huh). Close Multibeast.
001 - Multibeast.png

Download IOJones
Download graphics_intel_hd5k-azul-a-90_patch.command” script

Then launch IOJones, to find which is the “number” of the HDMI port.
=> On IOJones type GFX on the search engine
002 - IOJones P1.png

=> Then look for AppleIntelFramebuffer@1 (next picture)
=> Under AppleIntelFramebuffer@1 you should find “display 0” (next picture)
If so this means your screen is “connected” here, meaning it’s OK.
=> Click on AppleIntelFramebuffer@1 then scroll down on the right pane until you find port-number you should find 0x6. Close IOJones
003 - IOJones P2.png

=> Only if you have 0x6 then launch the “graphics_intel_hd5k-azul-a-90_patch.command” script.
=> “Hey I don’t know or I can’t figure out how to do this”
Don’t worry, just open the “Terminal” then drop down the script icon to the Terminal then press return (ENTER) when asked on the terminal type your password and then press return again. The script will run and should ask you to reboot the rig.
So reboot it!

=> Open Finder go to the root Folder > Extra then open “org.chameleon.Boot.plist” with TextEdit. Under the HDAEnabler line (key) you should find “No” (string), just replace it with “Yes”, reboot again.
004 - org.chameleon.Boot.plist.png

After rebooting go to the Prefs Pane / Sound / Ouptut, scroll down on the list if need and you should find the name of your HDMI device, that’s it, it’s done.
005 - Prefs - Sound - Output.png

006 -  Sys Inf.png

Want more details / information, take look on toleda frame buffer edit guide, here.

Stay tuned for the next episode :)

Thx for your comment Shad0wWalk3r.
I don't think it can apply to the PS3 slim case as is.
It is a matter of height because the PS3 slim case is flatter than the PS3 fat case.
Take a look on the photo below.
ps3fat_ps3slim.jpg

Good condition PS3 fat cases are very cheap, if you want one, just search it with the YLOD problem.
Making a hackintosh with the slim case can be a real (good) chalenge, I believe it is possible.
First of all you'll need a mini-itx motherboard with a external PSU (laptop PSU). I think you'll need also a low TDP CPU because the "slim case" is very small.

Follow this link to get the external dimensions of the "slim case": http://www.psmania.net/2013/05/sizing-up-the-console-war-xbox-one-dimensions-revealed

Have fun.

I'll be back for more "PS3 case mod" adventures.

oh man thanks so much for the hdmi audio help! can't believe i wasted a week trying to work it out! perfect breakdown

Never thought of a modded PS3... and it looks great! Very well done.

I'm not considering to build one myself, am I? :shh:

I don't write in forums (too scared of asking a stupid question) but this is awesome thanks for the detailed thread

Hello everybody,
Thank you very much for reading and post comments.
Special thanks to peskycoots, Thij, dav69e, Thatguy269 for your comments.
I enjoyed making this PS3 case mod and learned a lot while making it.
I've been a silent reader for years and posting my own build and reaching 25K views is a great honor.

For those interested on improvement on the machine, just reverse the Fan. Originally the fan was taking the air from the inside of the case and "sucking" the air from the small holes all around the case which was making losses. I just reverted the fan so now it's taking the air from the "back" of the the case and pushing it to the case then the "hot" air goes outside. By reversing it the System temp and CPU temp decreased 5°C which is a lot. The system can run for hours without any heat problems. This case ran for 48h playing HD videos on KODI and VLC and the temp didn't rise at all.

I will post photos of this last improvement later.

Thanks all and many thanks to tonymacx86 for this great forum :headbang: .
Stay tuned for the next episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back