Contribute
Register

Playstation Three Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody
As written on the first post of this project, my aim is basically to build a small machine inside a PS3 case.
A touch button triggers ON the PS3 so I decided this mod should work with a touch sensor and create a home made circuit board.

Building the touch sensor board:
Warning, this circuit board isn’t 100% reliable and not working very well.
Maybe with some skills it can be improved, this is no longer my aim (building a 100% home made circuit).

I found some videos on YouTube with examples on how to do it.
But after spent some time and money on this I can tell this doesn’t work perfectly.
For those interested on doing home made stuff here is what I’ve done and discovered.

First, the YouTube related video on how to build a touch sensor:
[video=youtube_share;l7wXsJtnsEE]http://youtu.be/l7wXsJtnsEE[/video]

This video is very well explained except the flaws and the cons, which are:
- Any time the mains is Off and get back to On it will trigger on the circuit (computer on, led on,…).
- When you connect something on a surrounding socket it may trigger On the circuit, not so good huh?
- The wire used as touch sensor or to connect to a touch plate can’t be longer than 2 or 3 cm (one inch) otherwise the circuit will always trigger On (trigger On continuously).
- In this video the guy installed a 47K resistor (R1) and when he triggers on the circuit the Led lights On and goes off immediately after removing the finger.
This is not true with R1=47K the circuit will trigger on for 5 seconds.

Ok so these are some problems I discovered on the first attempts, building my own circuit.

Components:
Timer NE555 x1
10K resistor (1/4w enough) x1
1K resistor (1/4w enough) x1
Another resistor depending on the Led x1
LED x1
Capacitor 100MicroFarad x1
Capacitor 100NanoFarad x1
Small 5v Relay x1
Diode 1N4007 x1
Transistor 2N2222 x1
Wires
Small Breadboard

I was really surprised to find that the components are really inexpensive.
I recommend buying a solder less board to test everything before making the real circuit. I found a brand new solder less board + 65 wires for 5 euros (5$) with free shipping costs on eBay.

I’ve followed the video and the circuit worked like on the video except for the On timing delay. The led stayed On for 5 seconds after trigger On. In the table below you’ll find the ON timing depending on the R1 resistor value

On-timing.jpg

tc-ps3.jpg

Next I had a relay, which didn’t work very well:
1) When using a relay always use a diode in parallel to the relay take a look on the wiring diagram or just Google “relay diode” you’ll find many examples.
This is to avoid a problem, which can destroy the IC (integrate circuit= the timer, transistors,).
2) Wasted many hours because after trigger On the relay never get back to Off position (always on). After many hours I discovered on a forum a simple way to solve this. Instead of feed directly the relay coil from the timer, a simple transistor should feed the relay coil. After receiving the transistor, it worked like a charm, On and Off, yay !

So I soldered the components to the PCB (first time ever soldering components to a PCB), and discovered the problems aforementioned. This circuit can’t be used, as is, because it’s not reliable.

[video=youtube_share;EY7bRafRi0g]http://youtu.be/EY7bRafRi0g[/video]
This is the video of my circuit board.

pcb-back.jpg
First time ever soldering components to the board.

After struggling during hours and days I’m not going to use this circuit.
I’ll use an out of the box solution already tested on this forum; You’ll see this solution probably on the next post.

Tips and tricks:
When using a LED you’ll have to use a resistor.
Basically this resistor must be installed between the positive terminal and the LED.
Here is the formula to find out the resistor value.
R= (V1 – V2) / A
V1 = The PSU voltage in volts
V2 = The LED voltage in volts
A = The LED amperage in Amps (not in milliAmps huh).
R= The resistor value.

Here is an example:
My PSU delivers 5V (volts) between the positive and the negative (ground) terminal.
So V1 = 5V
My green LED voltage is 3.2 V (volts) so V2= 3.2V
The led amperage is 20 mA (milliAmps) but on my formula I need Amps not milliAmps so we need to divide by 1000 to find the value in Amps 20/1000=0.02 A so A=0.02 A (Amps).

R=(5-3.2) / 0.02 = 90 Ohm
The resistor value, which will be installed between the positive terminal and the LED is 90 Ohm. Depending on the LED the voltages aren’t the same. Some times the resistor value founded doesn’t match with a real world resistor value you just need to use the closest resistor value available. Example, if you find 97ohm just use a 100ohm resistor.
Extra tip: LEDs have a polarity, meaning you can’t reverse + and – LED terminal.
It’s easy to recognise de + and the – of the led. The longest “leg” is the positive one.

Extra tip 2: To keep in place the components before soldering, you can use superglue.

Doing a monolog isn’t so cool. I know there are silent readers just like me before writing this. I’ll really appreciate your point of view, comment, questions and tips. Thank you for reading. You’re welcome.

Stay tuned for the next episode of the PS3 case mod.

An interesting page about LEDs and in particular the LED brightness.
https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-leds/what-are-leds-used-for

Not each LED will lights as expected. For example on my PS3 mod I need a green led.
Because I was not aware on this the first green led I bought wasn't much more bright than a candle !
Not very usefull.

More to come in the next posts.

Hello everybody.
So after struggeling and also have some fun I abandoned the almost 100 % DIY solution to trigger on my PS3 MOD. It has been replaced by a solution already tested and working on our favorite forum :)
I would like to give many thank's to minihack who built the really awesome Haswell Mac Mini with this solution.

Here are some spoilers:
[video=youtube_share;JkuZqY33aF8]http://youtu.be/JkuZqY33aF8[/video]

Details and more to come on the next episode, stay tuned !

Hello everybody,

Making a reliable touch circuit:
The DIY touch sensor didn’t work as expected so I adopted one successfully solution of our favourite forum J

Instead of testing DIY solutions forever I used a solution out of the box like minihack on the Haswell Mac Mini.

Here are the spares required:
1 Small breadboard (recycled from the DIY PCB)
1 DIL SOCKET 314 to connect the relay
1 DIL SOCKET 308 to connect the AT42QT1010
1 SparkFun Capacitive Touch Breakout - AT42QT1010
1 mini relay ref Tiambo HJR4102 (5V coil – very important !)
1 Diode ref 1N4007
2 Connectors from Wurth ELEKTRONIC
Each connector requires (WR-WTB 61900211621 + WR-WTB 61900113722DEC + WR-WTB 61900219521)

Tip: You can replace the Mini relay + Diode with a Reed relay.
Reed relay often have a built in diode, which will save some soldering job.
I couldn’t use one of those because my Reed Relay ordered on ebay took 3 weeks to come home, too long for me.

The AT42QT1010 circuit is a very cool stuff.
It has a built in LED, which will let you know when the circuit is activated, or not. It can be activated directly or trough 1cm of acrylic. And you can even connect a long wire, which will activate the circuit touching the wire or even trough the wire insulator. You can also connect it to a metal plate, in my case the metal touch plate to activate the PS3 from outside. Very very cool circuit.

Before starting the new circuit I dismounted the previous soldered components.
Then because the last DIY circuit was ugly with a jungle of wire I decided to improve this following this tutorial:
[video=youtube;kROaQZOYNIw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kROaQZOYNIw[/video]

It took me a while, maybe because I don’t have the skills but the results where pretty nice. Before this I already soldered connectors to the Sparkfun circuit to test it on the solder less board which went ok (previous post video).

Tada, finally it worked perfectly and very reliable, no false starts at all !

Some photos and a video.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

[video=youtube_share;iecpzXJwPWA]http://youtu.be/iecpzXJwPWA[/video]

FYI, the noise you can hear on the video is the mechanical ventilation on my kitchen. The PS3 makes almost no noise,…. “Click” noise is the noise of the relay when touching the ON/OFF touch panel of the PS3 case.

I wish to thank all the members of the forum, specially minihack. This is not the end !

Stay tuned for the next episode.

Hello everybody,

WIRING DIAGRAM version 2:
Below, the wiring diagram with the SPARKFUN AT42QT1010, which contains also some explanations. As you can see it’s much more easy than the DIY circuit version.
001.jpg

ON LED:
To keep the design as close as the original PS3 I installed a green LED.
The PS3 has 2 led locations for the LEDs on the case top and two small LEDs locations on the case bottom (not used on my mod).

Red status is originally used for the STAND BY status (OFF) on the PS3.
I don’t want to have this status report because it’s not useful for me. Later this machine could be installed on the bedroom so I don’t want the fairy lights effect by night.

Here’s everything you need to know about the PS3 status report: http://community.eu.playstation.com...lours-on-the-PlayStation-3-mean/td-p/13381892

So I had a green LED on the right location. First I tried with a LED purchased at the same time than the DIY circuit components. It was not bright enough so I bought an “ultra bright” 20 000cd LED so it lights as good as the original one of the PS3. I used a 5mm diameter LED. Take a look here https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-leds/what-are-leds-used-for to discover useful information about LEDs brightness. Remember LEDs always require resistors, take a look on the previous posts for more information.

I had duct tape on the “light channel” and around the LED because the green light was spreading by any hole on the PS3 front and case bottom. The assembly was achieved with the hot glue gun. Only glued the wires to the case top. The LED is not glued to the “light channel” to avoid any damage.

002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

RESULTS:
Here are some results on this case mod and some spoilers.
More to come on the next episodes.

[video=youtube_share;jnV0rwYjO-Q]http://youtu.be/jnV0rwYjO-Q[/video]

Stay tuned for the next episode.

Wow, I was pretty proud at myself for hardwiring in a mod chip; This is just bloody amazing work! Awesome job!

:headbang:

Really impressive mate, well done!
Thanks a lot mate, I enjoyed to make it and share it with TONYMACX86 forum members, because the members of this forum gave me a lot also.

Wow, I was pretty proud at myself for hardwiring in a mod chip; This is just bloody amazing work! Awesome job!

:headbang:

Bansaku, I think doing something by ourselves its the most important for you and I. No matter if it's simple or rough to achieve. Most important is to give it a try and share the experience. Thx for your comment.

Is that an original C&C audio track on the video? Kudos!
dj_aris you're right. Song name is "industrial" I can remember playing for hours this DOS game. EA should make another one or a sequel of this game. Another good song is "hell march". Thx for your comment.

Hello everybody,
If you decide to make your own HTPC I’ll recommend you to use KODI.
KODI is free and allows you to watch almost any kind of video codec and audio codec, meaning you’re not going to be stuck when you decide to watch a video.
Also it downloads automatically information and pictures for your movies, series etc. from popular movies databases like thetvdb.com, imdb.com,…
Some examples: http://kodi.tv/about/
kodi.jpg

With another extra software, Remote Buddy (which is not free :banghead: ) you’ll be able to use a PS3 BD (Bluetooth) remote flawlessly. Remote Buddy includes a KODI plugin and the PS3 BD remote will work out of the box no need to setup each button of the remote.
For example, you’ll also be able to use your remote as the mouse on OS X. And launch apps trough the remote buddy contextual menu, pressing one single button, straightforward.

Warning: I did not find any solution to get the sound via HDMI on my GIGABYTE H97N-WIFI even with toleda Audio - HDMI Audio AppleHDA [Guide]. On this rig the only solution to get 5.1 audio output was using Optical LINE OUT which delivered DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1.
Solution to enable HDMI audio here.

But I was able to do it (HDMI AUDIO) with my previous rig with a GIGABYTE H87-D3H and the HDMI from the graphics card (AMD) not with the motherboard HDMI.

Using OS X you’ll be able to bit stream DOLBY 5.1 or DTS to your amplifier. But even if your rig is connected with HDMI on the amplifier you won’t be able to bitstream DOLBY TRUE HD or DTS HD, this is an OS X limitation, not a KODI limitation.

If you want to bit stream HD audio (DOLBY TRUE HD, DTS HD) to your amplifier trough HDMI I’ll recommend using Windows (I know this solution sucks) + KODI, this works very well out of the box, already tested it from many years.

SOFTWARE:
Unibeast (5.1 version) from Tonymacx86
Multibeast (7.2 version) from Tonymacx86
OS X YOSEMITE (10.10.2) from the App store
KODI from kodi.tv
Remote Buddy from https://www.iospirit.com

Follow this well-done tutorial: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Notes: After the install process completed and rebooting, just before the STEP 5 the machine crashed, just got a grey screen and didn’t went to the STEP 5. Just did a reset and the process completed correctly just like on the STEP 5 of the guide.

Multibeast settings for GAH97N-WIFI:
multibeast72.jpg

What does work that I've tested so far:
- Bluetooth
- Ethernet 1 and 2
- HDMI video + HDMI audio
- DVI video
- Audio and Optical LINE OUT audio

What doesn't work that I've tested so far:
- Wi-Fi
- HDMI audio > Solution here

How to make it open KODI on start-up?

Auto log in
Use the Login Options pane of System Preferences to customize how users log in to your Mac.

To open this pane, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Users & Groups, then click Login Options.

Choose the user’s account name and enter his or her password.
That’s it!

Auto start KODI
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
Select the user, then click Login Items.
Click Add + below the list on the right, select Application on the left pane then click on the KODI app on the list and click Add.

Autostart Remote buddy
Go to Remote buddy preferences / General TAB and click on “Start Remote Buddy at login time”.
Note: In “demo mode” Remote Buddy will ask to register on each start-up.

Now it is possible to use the rig directly with the PS3 BD REMOTE, no need of the keyboard or the mouse, just like I did on the previous post video.

What about temperatures?
I tested the rig for 24h playing continuously H264 1080p video.
With 21°C room temp, inside the box I got 28 to 30°C. The CPU temps is 35°C.
The 14cm big fan spins at 800rpm and the mod is very silent.
CPU usage was about 20% almost all the time (remember no extra graphic card = using the HD4600 GPU capabilities of the CPU).
SCREENSHOTS

I found a free solution to decrease the temperature inside the case; this is for the next post.

Below some photos of the rig. As you can see it is possible to keep the original design of the PS3 and make a cool Hackintosh HTPC.
p001.jpgp002.jpgp003.jpgp004.jpgp005.jpgp007.jpgp006.jpgp008.jpg

Comments are welcome :)

Stay tuned for the next episodes.

Edit1: Add the HDMI audio solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back