Contribute
Register

Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for 10.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kind of worked for me. I notice that the computer can go to sleep and shut off fans and hard drive, but won't wake up. I was able to wake it once last night the first time it went to sleep automatically, but not again since. And it will definitely not wake if I sleep it manually through the Apple menu.

ASRock Extreme3 Gen3, Intel Core i5-2500K, eVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB

EDIT: I tried it out again with the stock BIOS and it works. I might have been a little impatient before, but it wakes up after a few seconds. Great job on this!

Running ASRock Z68M-ITX/HD with latest BIOS. Was ale to install ML but now hangs on NullCPUPowerManagement::start.

I would gladly try this but how can I delete the kext or replace it if I now have no access to the OS? I loaded with -x and it won't boot into terminal, just shows the same last line.

You can boot with the installer USB-stick but instead of starting the installation you choose Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Mieze

I did that. Renamed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.bad.

Renamed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to .bad as well

Copied your modified kext to S/L/E and still get same response.

I did that. Renamed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.bad.

Renamed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to .bad as well

Copied your modified kext to S/L/E and still get same response.

Did you recreate kernel cache or disabled it in org.chameleon.boot.plist? Otherwise the wrong kexts might be still in use because the system boots with the outdated cache.

Mieze

Did you recreate kernel cache or disabled it in org.chameleon.boot.plist? Otherwise the wrong kexts might be still in use because the system boots with the outdated cache.

Mieze

You got me there. What must I do?

Right now I have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.bad and there is no NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Terminal command to set permissions and rebuild cache

prguy:

A google search found these commands to set the permissions and rebuild the kernel cache:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Hope this helps.

prguy:

A google search found these commands to set the permissions and rebuild the kernel cache:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Hope this helps.
Yes, that's the easiest way! But keep in mind that when you boot from the installer's usb-stick you'll have to type

touch /Volumes/REPLACE WITH_YOUR_HD_NAME/System/Library/Extensions/

in order to recreate the HD's kernel cache. Also sudo isn't needed because you already act as root.

Mieze

Yes, that's the easiest way! But keep in mind that when you boot from the installer's usb-stick you'll have to type

touch /Volumes/REPLACE WITH_YOUR_HD_NAME/System/Library/Extensions/

in order to recreate the HD's kernel cache. Also sudo isn't needed because you already act as root.

Mieze

Only the touch command works. The others don't even if I remove sudo. I feel like such a noob.

And the touch command on its own left me at the usual spot when booting in -v. Using UseKernelCache=Yes stopped boot before NullCPUPowerManagement::start. If I renamed the Null kext shouldn't it the system be unable to call it r use it?

If I reinstall everything from scratch instead of upgrading from Lion, would it work?

Only the touch command works. The others don't even if I remove sudo. I feel like such a noob.

And the touch command on its own left me at the usual spot when booting in -v. Using UseKernelCache=Yes stopped boot before NullCPUPowerManagement::start. If I renamed the Null kext shouldn't it the system be unable to call it r use it?

If I reinstall everything from scratch instead of upgrading from Lion, would it work?

Reinstalling should always be a last resort. As long as you don't mess up the whole system this isn't necessary but in order to fix a damaged system you need to know what has been damaged. Don't you have Timemachine enabled so that you could revert to a working state?
Renaming the kexts while they stay inside /S/L/E isn't the best way. Use mv to move them to another directory which is the saver way and it won't damage them so that you can always move them back.

Setting UseKernelCache=No should also disable the kernel cache.

Mieze

Didn't work for me. Installed using KextBeast and deleted the NullCPUPowerManagement kext. My GeekBench score went from 15k to 5.5k, and performance took an impact. Deleted.

Looks like you forgot to install the SSDT for your CPU from MultiBeast so that the machine was stuck at 1.6GHz.

Mieze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back