Contribute
Register

OpenCore Boot issues

iMac19,1 is for a CoffeLake system

That's my fault. I suggested it.

I've tested it on Coffee Lake and even while spoofing Kaby Lake. No problems. The idea being inbuilt support for Radeon Pro 580X etc.

But spoofington-spoof is not everyone's cup of tea, I realise.

When folks just say "Didn't work" I want them to actually try stuff.

XhciPortLimit should be disabled if you have setup your USB Ports correctly

out of interest, what is the make and model of your SSD/NVME drive?
I used iMac19,1 as @UtterDisbelief said and because I wanted to boot Ventura eventually.

My Drives:

Crucial BX240
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
INTENSO 120GB
INTENSO Alu Line 32GB <- OpenCore USB
Hitachi Deskstar 250GB <- Big Sur from my old machine

That's my fault. I suggested it.

I've tested it on Coffee Lake and even while spoofing Kaby Lake. No problems. The idea being inbuilt support for Radeon Pro 580X etc.

But spoofington-spoof is not everyone's cup of tea, I realise.

When folks just say "Didn't work" I want them to actually try stuff.

I used iMac19,1 as @UtterDisbelief said and because I wanted to boot Ventura eventually.

My Drives:

Crucial BX240
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
INTENSO 120GB
INTENSO Alu Line 32GB <- OpenCore USB
Hitachi Deskstar 250GB <- Big Sur from my old machine
ahh ok!

XhciPortLimit should be disabled if you have setup your USB Ports correctly

out of interest, what is the make and model of your SSD/NVME drive?
You might also be very onto something since i had tons of errors before where opencore decided to unmount the boot usb and then didnt find the macos boot img

You might also be very onto something since i had tons of errors before where opencore decided to unmount the boot usb and then didnt find the macos boot img
may be best to have just the one hard drive in your machine that you are going to install macOS on

also remove your usb kexts that you made, leave XhciPortLimit enabled

disable XHCI-unsupported.kext

also reset nvram when you make any changes to your EFI/BIOS settings

may be best to have just the one hard drive in your machine that you are going to install macOS on

also remove your usb kexts that you made, leave XhciPortLimit enabled

disable XHCI-unsupported.kext

also reset nvram when you make any changes to your EFI/BIOS settings
Going to report back again shortly and i also have SATA Hot-Plug enabled on my Big Sur drive. Do you reckon that might also be causing some problems or may cause some down the line?

Mr @Feartech is very often "onto something". :D

He was correct to call me out on suggesting a system definition for Coffee Lake when you have Kaby SkyLake hardware. Clearly a test of that didn't work for you.

The issue seems to be very basic as you aren't really getting out of the starting blocks ...

So double check BIOS.

Ask yourself why you include only one SMC plug-in.

If you have a premade Big Sur installation I would expect that to be zero problem for SkyLake.

Last edited:

He was correct to call me out on suggesting a system definition for Coffee Lake when you have Kaby Lake hardware. Clearly a test of that didn't work for you.

The issue seems to be very basic as you aren't really getting out of the starting blocks ...

So double check BIOS.

If you have a premade Big Sur installation I would expect that to be zero problem for Kaby Lake.
The problem is, my machine is Skylake with a polaris 20 based GPU. And I will check my BIOS hold on.

He was correct to call me out on suggesting a system definition for Coffee Lake when you have Kaby Lake hardware. Clearly a test of that didn't work for you.

So double check BIOS.

If you have a premade Big Sur installation I would expect that to be zero problem for Kaby Lake.
I also only have one SMC plug-in because i wanted to remove unnecessary kext loading to see if i could at least get past that so even if the kernel panics id know that its the plug-ins.

So double check BIOS.

Just realised theres a BIOS Update available. Flashing right now and i’ll report back.

Back