Contribute
Register

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Launches Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Launches Today

Great news! Sleep is a huge bonus, null power consumption w/ instant access is a great feature!
And hdmi output, this is prefect!

So far a mixed bag with the EVGA 660ti on a gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH.
The good:
Boots fine with dual monitors (1 DVI, 1 HDMI).
Shows up as proper card in About this Mac
Cuda is active and (mostly) useable

The bad:
Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't see as usable/accelerated by Mercury Engine without editing the opencl_supported_cards.txt file
FCPX does not like this card. Applying any effect will result in a checkered screen and a locked OS X. Have to reboot to get back
Diablo III lags and stutters badly at max out settings
Can't get 3 monitors going with DVI + DVI + HDMI. It either both the DVI connections or a DVI and a HDMI.

Getting a Display Port cable tomorrow for my Asus Displayport monitor connection to see if that works for a third display.

Trying some tweaks to see if I can get it to work.

Also make sure that you DON'T have Graphics Enabler = Yes. You won't see a screen if you do. Let the Mac handle the card without injectors.
-Alex-

The brand doesn't matter, they all use the same chip in the end (sometimes the manufacturer overclocks it or otherwise fiddles with the performance), and as this article confirms, that chip runs fine under 10.8 OOB.

Frey's Electronics here in Las Vegas has the EVGA card in stock for $309.

Thanks for the feedback bairda, one more question: how about sleep? Can you confirm thelostswede's findings?

Sleep works ok for me.

I uninstalled FCPX and took out all the applicable plists. After re installation the effects did not checkerboard and lock the machine when applied. However rendering any effect takes a long time. I suspect that FCPX is not seeing the acceleration on the card.

Should get the displayport cable today. Hopefully that will give me 3 displays.

-Alex-

The good:

The bad:
Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't see as usable/accelerated by Mercury Engine without editing the opencl_supported_cards.txt file
FCPX does not like this card. Applying any effect will result in a checkered screen and a locked OS X. Have to reboot to get back
Can't get 3 monitors going with DVI + DVI + HDMI. It either both the DVI connections or a DVI and a HDMI.

Getting a Display Port cable tomorrow for my Asus Displayport monitor connection to see if that works for a third display.

Also make sure that you DON'T have Graphics Enabler = Yes. You won't see a screen if you do. Let the Mac handle the card without injectors.
-Alex-

Don't bother, three displays do not work. I've tested with dual DVI + DP, no go, DVI, HDMI, DP, no go, so yeah, it's the same as the other 6x0 GK104 cards.

I tried CIV V and it was laggy and ugly, but it's possible that this is just a bad port. Torchlight plays just fine and it's the only other OS X compatible game I have installed.

Having changed to a 1920x1200 display I get a smidgen under 60fps in Unigen Heaven.

There's a way to enable a third display with 7-series boards, bit it means relying on one display via the integrated graphics. I sort of got it working, but I was getting a lot of odd artefacts on the third display as soon as I tried to use it for anything.

The good:

The bad:

-Alex-

So should I use Premiere Pro with this card instead of FCP X ? Also should I use CUDA or OpenCL with CS6 ? And how are OS X Steam games playing with the 660Ti (As in Portal 2, TF 2, etc ?)

So should I use Premiere Pro with this card instead of FCP X ? Also should I use CUDA or OpenCL with CS6 ? And how are OS X Steam games playing with the 660Ti (As in Portal 2, TF 2, etc ?)

I can confirm that you will only get 2 displays working on this card. It either 2 DVI or HDMI and Displayport or DVI and HDMI or DVI and Displayport. Anytime you get a third monitor on it cuts the display out on another monitor. True fail.

I am not sure on Premiere Pro. It works and can use Mercury if you add it to the cuda card.txt file. Same with After Effects CS6 (you also have to modify the cards file on it).

I am completely reinstalling FCPX with a new OSX install, so maybe that will remedy the crashes that I have.

Right now rather underwhelmed by this card in my Hackintosh.

For my own information, is there any way to get this card and a ATI 5870 working in the same system?

-Alex-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back