Contribute
Register

New Project: Remapping Keyboard- I want your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking for something, which can be seen in the most Dell laptops: utility for setting the primary function of the first keyboard row, so user can choose if he want to use the Fs or the secondary function of each button without pressing the Fn key. For example, if you use the Fs as primary, you must use the Fn key for the secandary functions and vice versa. And when you change this with this utility, the new primary functions are applied immediately. If this can be done in form of prefpane, will be very nice.

If an Apple keyboard is present, OSX have this option at System preferences and you can chose how the F's are working. Or directly to F1,F2 etc and by pressing the fn key will do the extra functions or the opposite.

nikstar said:
If an Apple keyboard is present, OSX have this option at System preferences and you can chose how the F's are working. Or directly to F1,F2 etc and by pressing the fn key will do the extra functions or the opposite.

Maybe so, but in fact we don't have an Apple keyboard, we have HP keyboard, right?

The way the options are now is how they will be later. I'm not making any changes, except remapping.

Alright here are my 5 cents.

I've been thinking about this but haven't reached the state yet as on HOW to do it.
One of the major gripes I have with a windows keyboard while you are running OSX, is that for instance the Windows key, does not equate to the Apple Key.
What I use for instance a LOT, is in Windows Ctrl-C and V (copy paste). This equates to Alt-C and V in OSX. I'm now in a state where I make the wrong key combination on the platform :D !!! So using alt-C while I meant Ctrl-C in WIndows. Grmpf! :banghead:

Furthermore, I use a real Apple keyboard, but that would be when I am on my MacIntel. Using F12 opens the CD tray etc. I would still like to keep that for consistency sakes.

So, taking this into account, I think we should come up with like a list of functions that can be assigned. I.e. F1-12 can be assigned out of a list like "open CD", "view Desktop", Play etc etc. And let the user decide.
The ALT CTRL keys etc could be done like this as well I think. Alt = opt or Windows = Apple key etc.

If you could even get a nice graphical way of doing it like a row of F keys, and underneath it a dropdown box with functions that can be assigned... you're my hero.
:thumbup:

I'm not a developer where I can do that. Perhaps someone else can. But all I know how to do is modify what already exists to make it work better.

DarfWeder said:
The ALT CTRL keys etc could be done like this as well I think. Alt = opt or Windows = Apple key etc.

System Preferences>Keyboard (keyboard tab)>Modifier Keys...

blueking said:
I'm not a developer where I can do that. Perhaps someone else can. But all I know how to do is modify what already exists to make it work better.

I'll let you finish your brilliant work, and if i will be able to develop some app for that i will try, lots of free time now!

Hi,
Rather than using a kext why don't you use Bettertouchtool?, it's got lots of options and once you follow the setup works really well for key remapping.

Currently I have it set so I don't need to press fn+F7 for my brightness, just F7, or just F5 for my volume.

Adjust it to your preference accordingly, you can get it here :
http://www.bettertouchtool.net

I've been using it on my DV8 hackintosh for more than 1 year and have to say it's the most useful thing after growl!

That's good for anyone that wants to change theirs.

But this is a more permanent solution.

nikstar said:
This is how it works by default.
I changed it to much Apple keyboard (as I am a Mac user) because Command key is next to the space key at Apple's keyboards and Win key is not. Win key is after the alt key and is difficult to use it as I am working on Apple keyboard too.

Also as much closer is to the center of the keyboard, makes it more easy to use keyboard shortcuts. You can use one hand for this easily instead of windows method Ctrl +*

Well If I would nott have like 25 years of Windows and programming under Windows under my belt you could be right. But I'm hardly going to change now. I can't really. I use windows at least 9 hrs a day for my profession. It's probably the same for you trying to use a win k/b when used to MAC. :problem:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back