Contribute
Register

New Project: Remapping Keyboard- I want your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I want to remap our keyboard!

What buttons do we want to change? And to what?

I can try to make it work, but no guarantees.

For example, I potentially could make f7 through f9 work as the volume keys, without pressing fn, but it would remove them as working as f7 through f9 for any apps that need them. But do any?

Also, insert seems not to have a function, so what could I assign there?

Just throwing ideas around.

Actually it appears insert is an apple function? Or is it outdated now?

One key we can possibly use is the button besides wifi, has no function?

Apple-Keyboard.jpg

That's an apple keyboard.

So I'm thinking:

we have these keys:

• f1[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f2[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f3[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f4[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f5 -[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f6 -blank [/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f7[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f8[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f9[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f10[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f11[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f12[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • prt sc[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • insert[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • delete[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • the button besides wifi.[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]

One thing to note is the button besides wifi has two functions, it sends one code when pressed, and one when pressed and held, so we could potentially have two things from there.

So I'm thinking this should be out layout. What do you all think? additional changes? (and I'm saying take away needing to hit fn, just type the button)

• f1- sleep[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f2- brightness down[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f3- brightness up[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f4- ideas?[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f5- blank since they are on apple keyboards[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f6- blank since they are on apple keyboards[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f7- mute[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f8- volume down[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f9- volume up[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f10- previous[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f11- play/pause[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • f12- next[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • prt sc- ideas?[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • insert- ideas?[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • delete- delete[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]
  • the button besides wifi. ideas x 2?[/*:m:1jqjn5hz]

I set up so my F1...F5 are used for: Launchpad,Mission Control, Dashboard, Show Desktop, application Windows.

i was writing an app so i could lock Fn (some keyboards have this function, our does not) but it died in projects somewhere, thats why remapping is a great idea, F4 maybe for desktop Showing, since the symbol on it kinda looks like windows on borders ? :D

prt sc and insert maybe dashboard and launchpad as these are the most often used (and maybe leave it for anyone to decide, System Preferences pane ? doable ?):p

PS these keyboards are pure beauty!

But what about the original functions of the "f" keys? I am using f9, f10 and f11 very often.
If you remap them, how we were going to use them?

I think the better is to reverse the function of the fn key. When is pressed to act like is not pressed and when is not pressed to act like a pressed.

nikstar said:
I think the better is to reverse the function of the fn key. When is pressed to act like is not pressed and when is not pressed to act like a pressed.

I think blueking will try this, as keyboard without F keys is not a keyboard anymore :)

What about having prt sc and insert be what fn and like 12 and such are.

I think it's good to have the ones with play and such on them as they are labeled.

But any suggestions are definitely welcome!

blueking said:
I think it's good to have the ones with play and such on them as they are labeled.

i agree, it would be nice if key did what it is meant to be, i just set up F13 (prt sc) as saving screen shot, now only insert and delete are left to have some value assigned.

Also, if you start working on key remapping im willing to test it! if it is not so hard and complicated i can work on Pref Pane for that.

I'm actually just remapping it and rebuilding the kext. I'll post sources somewhere for if people want to make their own version.

I think hardest thing is where to put expose launchpad and such. I think I'll end up taking insert and print screen. I'll then put screen shot as the button besides wifi I think.

Edit- meant to say- dont think we need a preference pane since we have vanilla. Complete remapping is done in source files before build so thats not doable I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back