Register

mp4,1->5,1 & ASUS R7 250X

Motherboard
Mac Pro 2009 (4,1->5,1)
CPU
2x E5520
Graphics
R7-250X
Can somebody point me the instructions what to do to this GPU's bios for it to work with osX/macOS?

I only have found about hackintosh solutions, but nothing about howto with genuine mac.

EDIT: My goal is to be able to use newer OS's than 10.10.

Last edited:
Can somebody point me the instructions what to do to this GPU's bios for it to work with osX/macOS?

I only have found about hackintosh solutions, but nothing about howto with genuine mac.

Hi there.

The R7 250X will work out of the box in a Mac Pro BUT only certain macOS versions.

A good starting point is here:

As you can see, the AMD7000Controller.kext contains the driver.

The OpenCore Legacy Patcher site offers GPU patches for AMD7000Controller so might be worth looking into.

If you need a VBIOS I believe TechPowerUp should have one in their library.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply!

Here I was once told, that I need "a patch":
...to use it with newer macOS's.

I've scrolled through "Radeon Compatibility Guide", but since it's all about hackintoshes, found nothing about what to do with genuinen mac.

How do I use OC patcher just for the GPU driver?
Do I have to start using OC boot loader with officially supported macOS?

(My MP is mp4,1->5,1)

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply!

Here I was once told, that I need "a patch":
...to use it with newer macOS's.

I've scrolled through "Radeon Compatibility Guide", but since it's all about hackintoshes, found nothing about what to do with genuinen mac.

How do I use OC patcher just for the GPU driver?
Do I have to start using OC boot loader with officially supported macOS?

(My MP is mp4,1->5,1)

My pleasure! :thumbup:

(Don't forget to complete your hardware Profile (left sidebar) as requested).

No, our guide I linked to lists AMD cards which have native drivers in OS X/macOS and which version OS they appeared in. It's very helpful for a Hackintosh but the data comes from, and is also for, real Macs too.

The link you posted to macrumours just confirms what I told you. The AMD GPU you have was native at OS X 10.8.3 onwards until ... I'm not sure as I don't have every macOS version running. The Device-ID 0x683d is no-longer in AMD7000Controller.kext at Big Sur (me, now) so was deprecated at some point previously. Maybe, as they suggest, at Mojave.

To patch it for later macOS versions you could try adding the Device-ID manually to a newer AMD7000Controller.kext, or give OpenCore Legacy Patcher a try.

OpenCore Legacy Patcher works for real Macs too. For example it lists deprecated hardware that can be patched to make it work again - Hack or Mac - the MacPro6,1 was dropped for Ventura etc.

You really should give the site a read-through. Otherwise, sorry I couldn't help further.

:)

(Don't forget to complete your hardware Profile (left sidebar) as requested).
What's the policy here?
I have many computers and they have a lot of replaceable parts.

What's the policy here?
I have many computers and they have a lot of replaceable parts.

The main machine you are seeking help with. As you move around the site the sidebar goes with you and people wishing to help can instantly see what system you have. In this case, more detail about your MacPro. :thumbup:

So,
if I'd like to use run 10.14 Mojave with this R7 250X,
have I understood right, that there are 2 things to do:

#1 add somehow 0x683D to somewhere (also to AMDx000Controller.kext)? as "supported cards"?

#2 patch AMDx000Controller.kext to support this card's outputs?

Last edited:
[...]try adding the Device-ID manually to a newer AMD7000Controller.kext
I'd like to try this first, not needing the addition OC-layer between everything...

I can't find any advice on how to do this.

I don't expect any advices from here, but one thing to note:
That "Radeon Compatibility Guide" is for hackintoshes.

I have a friend that has HD 7770 it didn't stop working at 10.10.3.
He is using it in 10.11. with no problems whatsoever.

...and even I do not have "black screen" with R7 250X and 10.14.:
1691664248027.png

Back