Contribute
Register

ML: Native Ivy Bridge CPU and GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I tried your way with a patched and compiled DSDT and SSDT; I used MaciASL as per suggestions and produced the DSDT and SSDT (the latter via script)
The dsdt does not compile (easy to fix). More importantly, what did you patch in the dsdt?

In the hope that I can give something back to this discussion here are some gotchas that I ran into, plus the solutions.
Thanks for taking the time to prepare this post. A couple of clarifications:

Regarding HD4000 primary display, my current recommendation is to enable HD4000 with an inexpensive boot monitor. This allows macmini6,x sysdef, HD4000 enabled and a reliable Desktop on the discrete graphics card. Note, macbookpro9,x does not require HD4000 and provides more p-states.

I have not experienced the iTunes DRM issue with discrete graphics and disabled HD4000.

Looking at AGPM, there is no discrete graphics equivalent of GFX0 in any non Apple BIOS/dsdt (PEGP replaces PEG0). The best way to get GFX0 in the dsdt is to apply the HDMI audio dsdt edits. For a system with only integrated graphics, AGPM/IGPU can be edited to GFX0, however, this is discouraged. Like discrete graphics, HDMI audio dsdt edits use IGPU for enabling native AGPM. For discrete graphics cards, not supported natively, the Vendor_Device property list is the best approach as you discussed. Note, the Property_Device plist can be applied to a "helper" kext, installed in S/L/E and is immune to Software Updates.

Thanks for taking the time to prepare this post. A couple of clarifications:

Regarding HD4000 primary display, my current recommendation is to enable HD4000 with an inexpensive boot monitor. This allows macmini6,x sysdef, HD4000 enabled and a reliable Desktop on the discrete graphics card. Note, macbookpro9,x does not require HD4000 and provides more p-states.
Why not use MacBook Pro Retina (10,1) SysDef? It has both onboard HD4000 and discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. Full Ivy Bridge PM as well. Can this option avoid Youtube video playback in Safari/Firefox failure enabling internal graphics, discrete card as first monitor, without a second monitor usage? Are there any disadvantage/contraindications?

Hi again Toleda, I tried to do just that with your guide on how to make the dsdt edits to get HDMI audio working. The problem is, after following your guide HDMI audio is still not enabled. I don't know if it has anything to do with enabling native Ivy Bridge and GPU power management?
I have the issue of having a series 6 motherboard and an Ivy Bridge CPU and also applied the HD 4000 fix at the end as suggested. Prior to this I was using a 8800GS and had followed another one of your guides to enable the HD 2500, it was working fine up until the time I installed the GTX 650. Now it just doesn't boot as it says it failed to load the capri kext. I had made a backup of my dsdt and was able to restore the original one. Would you like to have a look at it?
I am not too worried about the HD 2500 issue as it might work if I remove the GTX 650 from the motherboard, have not tested that yet, only selected it in the bios.
What it would be major was getting HDMI audio to work. I don't even know if this is possible at all due to my sandy/ivy setup?
Sorry, I know this is off topic, I only mentioned it as it was noted in the post before.

Update: Well, I got the sound to work eventually. I was installing the HD 4000 for award but in fact I should of been installing the HD 3000 for series 6 motherboard, another issue was that because tweaks had been added to my dsdt to enable the HD 2500 it wasn't compiling and obviously not working. The sound is working via HDMI on my GTX 650 but the HD 2500 is broken still and doesn't boot at all.

The dsdt does not compile (easy to fix). More importantly, what did you patch in the dsdt?

thanks for taking the time to answer me...

In MaciASL I added the two PJALM's repos, one for Gigabyte and one for Graphics, and I patched for my motherboard (GA Z77X-UP5-TH) and for HD4000. Then compiled (ACPI 5.0) and saved in Extra. Nothing more.

Hi all !

Given the fact that Pro Tools "prefers" Mac Pro system definitions, I've always wanted to use the MacPro5,1 system definition, but this way I would lose power management features. But recently I've followed this method in order to have Macmini6,2 power management with a MacPro5,1 system definition.

I'm having 6 P-states (16 to 45), which is the same than I was having with the Macmini6,2 sysdef. So at least power management and sleep (without any DSDT) is working! GeekBench also reports same performance (17000 64bit with 4,5Ghz overclock).

What do you think about this approach guys? I would like to hear your opinion regarding this method.

Thanks in advance !

hi.
works perfect but with chameleon gfx0 only, using any sysdef

Any attempt to start with clover is impossible.

any way to run gfx0 only with clover?
All this time I thought it was my hardware, but problem is the bootloader

Hi all !

Given the fact that Pro Tools "prefers" Mac Pro system definitions, I've always wanted to use the MacPro5,1 system definition, but this way I would lose power management features. But recently I've followed this method in order to have Macmini6,2 power management with a MacPro5,1 system definition.

I'm having 6 P-states (16 to 45), which is the same than I was having with the Macmini6,2 sysdef. So at least power management and sleep (without any DSDT) is working! GeekBench also reports same performance (17000 64bit with 4,5Ghz overclock).

What do you think about this approach guys? I would like to hear your opinion regarding this method.

Thanks in advance !

Tried this approach today after some long struggles with ivybridge PM - worked brilliantly and got slight increase in geekbench scores. Good find, thanks!

What does Post #1 say?

you asked me to post my boot flags which I did, so I assumed your answer about "post 1" was related to that.

I assume you don't have any further advice then :(
( here is my last ioreg and my problem, where you asked me to post my bootflags, which are nothing but "GraphicsEnabler=No")
sorry for beeing a pain. I just don't quite know where to keep looking :/

Problem fixed.
Boot with only gfx (Not integrated) on clover UEFI

DropMCFG

<key>DropMCFG</key>
<true/>
Fixes booting issues when using a MacMini or MacBook Pro SMBIOS.

from here http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back