Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

I did this method a several time and everytime I done with success. Yesterday I format my machine and install everthing again. Make a new fusion drive as I do with 2 TB + 120 SSD. But this time I cant boot. Evertime I getting just one line error "boot0 = error". But I already add all three boot files on the Boot OSX Drive. I tried to fix with boot0 fix guide. But nothing changes? What are you suggest to me what can I try?

Ps: I have 4 HD on the machine. I will try put them out and try with just 2 drives now. Please if you suggest new idea please share with me?

I found the easiest solution to this is to make a bootable usb flash drive (chimera) for your computer to load up into every time. Then you should be able to select the os easily. I had the same problem and it seems like the boot0 error fix doesn't work with fusion drives. It's probably because you have a newer drive with a 4k sector, like I did.

I found the easiest solution to this is to make a bootable usb flash drive (chimera) for your computer to load up into every time. Then you should be able to select the os easily. I had the same problem and it seems like the boot0 error fix doesn't work with fusion drives. It's probably because you have a newer drive with a 4k sector, like I did.

I found a solution. Problem is my HD order wrong. Before the boot I disconnected my other 2 drives and boot normally and first try directly recognise my Fusion Drive. Then connect to other HD to my machine and ever things work now great...

Can I use this method with my 2x2TB HDD and 1x120GB SSD? is this possible?

Yes, I just did it. So far working well. Just be sure to use the correct disk names and also you will have to copy the boot0 to MBR of both the HDD's.

Hi Guys... I have a question?

We all know that if you fill an SSD it will run real slow..... So heres my question.

At this part of the set up.

Type diskutil coreStorage createVolume A0E3CC23-DB6F-4320-85F3-B51F83715937 jhfs+ "MyFusionDrv" 100% [enter] and the system returns the following

Code:
Lab-1:~ neil$ diskutil coreStorage createVolume A0E3CC23-DB6F-4320-85F3-B51F83715937 jhfs+ "MyFusionDrv" 100%
Started CoreStorage operation
Waiting for Logical Volume to appear
Formatting file system for Logical Volume
Initialized /dev/rdisk3 as a 518 GB HFS Plus volume with a 49152k journal
Mounting disk
Core Storage LV UUID: 90DA42F0-436B-4544-B9F3-55AE6E4D5EE6
Core Storage disk: disk3
Finished CoreStorage operation
Lab-1:~ neil$
Also please copy the "Core Storage LV UUID: 90DA42F0-436B-4544-B9F3-55AE6E4D5EE6" as we need the bolded portion a little later.

In the above command you do have a choice of the name, I chose MyFusionDrv and you have a choice in the size. I chose 100% for now because the focus is setting up a Fusion drive set. If your requirements are otherwise you will have to dig out the details of what can be done and how to do it.

If we were to let it use just 80% That would only let it use 80% of both SSD and HDD...?

Am i right....

If so it will stop the SSD from slowing down when it got full.

Maverick Upgrade Procedure ?

Can anyone confirm the best procedure for upgrading a Mountain Lion fusion drive installation to Mavericks

Here would be my expected approach.

0) Make a backup of current install
1) Follow full Unibeast guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html) to upgrade to Mavericks, except at the last point DO-NOT reboot.
2) Proceed with the fusion drive creation (in the original guide) from the Completion of the SuperDupa disk cloning, where it says "The task ahead is to make the Fusion Drive bootable"
3) Remove USB drive and re-boot as normal.

I know this sound obvious, just checking?

Also if anyone has done this, are issues with iCloud / iMessage any better. I have given up on iMessage, after trying many time to re-configure SSDT.AML

If we were to let it use just 80% That would only let it use 80% of both SSD and HDD...?

Am i right....

If so it will stop the SSD from slowing down when it got full.
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. But I would have expected Apple to implement Fusion Drive to leave some space on the SSD, otherwise Apple computers may also be affected in the way you describe. But I don't think setting total utilisation below 100% would cause any harm, and I think 80% may be a bit aggressive 95% may still give you enough free space, it is really dependant on how the firmware in the SSD behaves.

Maverick Upgrade Procedure ?

I know this sound obvious, just checking?

Your procedures are correct (though many in the forums didn't find it obvious, myself included at first)

To update my fusion drive to mavericks I followed the recommended procedure for updating but only reinstalled the audio/network drivers. I didn't need to touch the bootloader.

Is it really necessary to put chimera on both of the disks? Has anyone tried it on just one? Is there a way to remove chimera from one of the disks? I'd be willing to test this.

I just have a feeling it's not necessary because the disk the motherboard is told to boot from seems to be the /extra folder that matters. For instance, if I change the chimera theme I have to change the /extra folder on the SSD (which the motherboard looks for).

If we didn't need it on both disks then we wouldn't have the fusion drive twice in the list...

Back