Contribute
Register

GTX670 crashes openCl High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common error usually related to the use of the wrong Aptio memory driver. I will have another look at this later today.

Thanks Edhawk. I thought in the meantime, per your clue, I might quickly experiment with adding some of those drivers from Middleman's drivers64UEFI folder, namely "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi", "OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi", "AppleImageCodec-64.efi", "AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi" and "FirmwareVolume-64.efi". One of them must have been the missing link, because I was able to get past the boot lock-up.
The problem now is that my Ethernet ports aren't working.
No idea why because the "AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext" and "IntelMausiEthernet.kext" are present. I tried removing "RealtekRTL8111.kext" but it didn't seem to have any effect.
Do you know what might have stopped the Ethernet in this case? (It was was working with the previous EFI).

Your GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard has an Atheros and an Intel Ethernet port. So the two kexts should work.

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 21.49.00.png
it doesn't use/contain a Realtek Ethernet port, so removing the RealtekRTL8111.kext would have no impact on your Intel and Atheros ports.

No idea why they would have stopped working, if the correct kexts are being injected.

You may need to go back to the previous EFI folder, if you haven't already.

You don't need these drivers, not unless you are using File Vault.
  • OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
  • AppleImageCodec-64.efi
  • AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
  • FirmwareVolume-64.efi
OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi is likely to be the one that your system needs.

jezzalencko9,

I noticed you mentioned your previous Ethernet kext was AtherosL1cEthernet, while mine is AtherosE2200Ethernet. Would that be the culprit?

jezzalencko9,

I noticed you mentioned your previous Ethernet kext was AtherosL1cEthernet, while mine is AtherosE2200Ethernet. Would that be the culprit?
Middleman, you nailed it, thanks! I don't know why I missed that. Totally restored my Ethernet.

Edhawk, thanks, I've removed those unnecessary drivers. Now booting in successfully with your version of EFI completely.
I ran Filmora again, imported a video and boom, immediate crash still (as attached). I'm not sure how to interpret the crash log and if there is anything in there that hints at the problem with my build settings.

I'm running out of ideas. I emailed support at Filmora a week or so ago and have had no response. Expect that'll be a dead-end too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 12.04.24 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 12.04.24 am.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Do you have any graphics related issues in any other applications or is it just when you run the Filmora application?

The screenshot of the kernel panic log above states:
'Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset'

So I would look at the dGPU as being the cause of the issue, before messing around with the drivers or kexts in your system.

You might want to try the following:
  • Remove the GTX 670, clean any debris from the fan etc.
  • Clean the interior of the case while you have access to the innards.
  • Ensure the PCIe slot is clean (use compressed Air to blow any dust or debris out of the slot).
  • Check the temperature of the GTX 670 during normal load, see if it is running hot.
  • Remove the fan casing and heatsink from the GTX 670, apply a new layer of good quality thermal paste to the GPU chip before re-seating the heatsink and fan casing.
  • Reseat the GTX 670 in the motherboard PCIe slot, and ensure the power cable(s) are securely seated in the connector on the GPU.
See if any of these maintenance processes help.

Do you have any graphics related issues in any other applications or is it just when you run the Filmora application?

The screenshot of the kernel panic log above states:
'Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset'

So I would look at the dGPU as being the cause of the issue, before messing around with the drivers or kexts in your system.

You might want to try the following:
  • Remove the GTX 670, clean any debris from the fan etc.
  • Clean the interior of the case while you have access to the innards.
  • Ensure the PCIe slot is clean (use compressed Air to blow any dust or debris out of the slot).
  • Check the temperature of the GTX 670 during normal load, see if it is running hot.
  • Remove the fan casing and heatsink from the GTX 670, apply a new layer of good quality thermal paste to the GPU chip before re-seating the heatsink and fan casing.
  • Reseat the GTX 670 in the motherboard PCIe slot, and ensure the power cable(s) are securely seated in the connector on the GPU.
See if any of these maintenance processes help.
Thanks Edhawk. I can try those things, but as you alluded to, this issue is so far only related to the Filmora application and doesn't happen anywhere else. Mind you, I haven't tried running any other video editing applications so haven't stressed the GPU with anything else.
Is there a GPU test utility application that you can suggest, one that also reads the temp etc?
Thanks.

This is the usual app to use for stress testing a GPU - https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

There are plenty of GPU testing and benchmark apps, google and you shall find links to more.

Thanks Edhawk. I ran that heaven one and it didn't seem to encounter anything out of the ordinary. See benchmark summary attached.
I also tried out Geekbench and got the attached summaries for OpenCL and Metal performance (I have no idea what they mean).
To me this suggesting Filmora itself has the issues but this is strange as I had it functioning reasonably stably a number of build versions ago (don't ask me which one; I've been through so many iterations now).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.29.25 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.29.25 pm.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.43.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.43.35 pm.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.42.01 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.42.01 pm.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 32
Geekbench is a CPU benchmarking tool, it has little impact on the GPU.

The Heaven benchmark is not great but not awful, it is probably around 40% the FPS of a modern dGP (RX 580 or similar would have a FPS of around 57-60). The (low) FPS should tell you that your GTX 670 would struggle to undertake any serious heavy graphics work (larger than 1080 resolution. If you are using a new version of the Filmora software it would expect a newer more powerful dGPU, not a mid-2012 GPU.

I would recommend you uninstall the current version of Filmora (assumed to be v10.1.6) and look to install an older version, one that is a couple of years old if possible (version 8.7.3 or v9.0 no newer than v9.5), to see if the same issues arise when you use the older software. As it may be that Wondershare have changed something in the newer versions of Filmora that your GPU can't handle.

Reading the system requirements for the software - https://filmora.wondershare.com/mac-tech-spec.html
tells me your GTX 670 2GB card is just below the level of the bare minimum dGPU. They recommend a GTX 700 series (preferably higher), which probably worked just fine with the older versions of the app, as they would have been aimed at editing 720 and 1080 (HD resolution) films, not handling 4K and larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back