Contribute
Register

Gobias’s Comet Lake Build: Prime Z490-A - i7-10700K - RX 6600 - macOS Ventura & Windows 11 Pro

Argh! I've just read "Ethernet will be missing from System Information after updating to Ventura", so I can still follow some instructions without disturbing someone else.
You need to enable AppleVTD to get ethernet working in Ventura (I also flashed custom firmware to my motherboard to update the ethernet revision ID, but a couple of people have reported that wasn't necessary for them, so you might be able to skip that part). Let me know if you still can't get working after following the steps in my Ventura update post.

Ethernet is working now :), thanks again for the extensive guide!

My System info tells me I'm using Revision ID 0x0001, I didn't need flashing the firmware, apparently.

I'll update now to the latest Ventura (I'm in 13.2.1) and, although I don't need it right now, I'd like to get the WiFi up and running. Any idea? I don't know why it doesn't work, while Bluetooth does...

Awesome! I'm glad it helped.

I'd like to get the WiFi up and running. Any idea? I don't know why it doesn't work, while Bluetooth does...
Was Wi-Fi working before updating to Ventura?

What network adapter are you using?

Is anything showing up in System Information under Network > Wi-Fi?

The YOUBO adapter has worked out of the box for me since I installed it in my old build with macOS Catalina. The only issue I had with it was a few days after installing it, my computer would sometimes randomly disconnect from my Wi-Fi network and not show any networks to connect to. I had to get a replacement from Amazon, but the replacement has been fine since then.

In my build I had to install YOUBO Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card in PCI-E x1 Slot 3.
It is the only slot where Wi-Fi would work without any issues.
I think mine is in the same slot, but it was based on where I could fit the card. I didn't try any other slots, so I don't know if the other slots would have caused issues.

My System info tells me I'm using Revision ID 0x0001, I didn't need flashing the firmware, apparently.

I'll update now to the latest Ventura (I'm in 13.2.1) and, although I don't need it right now, I'd like to get the WiFi up and running. Any idea? I don't know why it doesn't work, while Bluetooth does...
Try and see if you can set it using WPA/WPA2 Personal and not WPA2 Personal using the latest Airportitlwm kext.

Update 22: OpenCore 0.9.4 and macOS 13.5.1

OpenCore 0.9.3 and 0.9.4

I followed the OpenCore Post-Install guide for Updating OpenCore to update OpenCore from 0.9.2 to 0.9.3 and then 0.9.4.
  1. I updated these kexts to the latest versions:
    • AppleALC.kext: 1.8.2 -> 1.8.3 -> 1.8.4
    • Lilu.kext: 1.6.5 -> 1.6.6 -> 1.6.7
    • VirtualSMC.kext: 1.3.1 -> 1.3.2
      • SMCProcessor.kext: 1.3.1 -> 1.3.2
      • SMCSuperIO.kext: 1.3.1 -> 1.3.2
    • WhateverGreen.kext: 1.6.4 -> 1.6.5 -> 1.6.6
    • Note: I attempted to update NVMeFix.kext from 1.0.8 to 1.1.1. However, like with versions 1.0.9 and 1.1.0, this caused kernel panics, so I reverted back to 1.0.8.
  2. I added these new properties for OpenCore 0.9.3 to config.plist that were identified with OCConfigCompare:
    • Under UEFI -> Output, add
      • ConsoleFont | String | [empty]
    • Under UEFI -> Output, add
      • PciIo | Boolean | False
  3. I added these new properties for OpenCore 0.9.4 to config.plist that were identified with OCConfigCompare:
    • Under Misc -> Boot, add
      • InstanceIdentifier | String | [empty]
  4. I downloaded the latest versions of these OpenCore files and signed them for UEFI Secure Boot:
    • BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
    • OC/Drivers/AudioDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/CrScreenshotDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenCanopy.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi
    • OC/Drivers/ResetNvramEntry.efi
    • OC/Tools/OpenShell.efi
  5. I downloaded the latest version of OpenCore.efi.
  6. I vaulted OpenCore using sign.command.
  7. I Signed OpenCore.efi for UEFI Secure Boot.
My latest EFI folder is attached for reference. The files in this folder are not vaulted or signed for UEFI Secure Boot.

macOS 13.4–13.5

I also updated macOS from 13.3.1 (a) to 13.4, 13.4.1, 13.4.1 (c), 13.5, and finally to 13.5.1 using System Preferences.

Screenshot of About This Mac showing that macOS has been updated to 13.5.1

Attachments

• Update 22 OC 0.9.4.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Update 23: OpenCore 0.9.5 and macOS 13.6

OpenCore 0.9.5

I followed the OpenCore Post-Install guide for Updating OpenCore to update OpenCore from 0.9.4 to 0.9.5.
  1. I updated these kexts to the latest versions:
    • AppleALC.kext: 1.8.4 -> 1.8.5
  2. I added these new properties for OpenCore 0.9.5 to config.plist that were identified with OCConfigCompare:
    • Under UEFI -> Quirks, add
      • ShimRetainProtocol | Boolean | False
  3. I downloaded the latest versions of these OpenCore files and signed them for UEFI Secure Boot:
    • BOOT/BOOTx64.efi
    • OC/Drivers/AudioDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/CrScreenshotDxe.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenCanopy.efi
    • OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi
    • OC/Drivers/ResetNvramEntry.efi
    • OC/Tools/OpenShell.efi
  4. I downloaded the latest version of OpenCore.efi.
  5. I vaulted OpenCore using sign.command.
  6. I Signed OpenCore.efi for UEFI Secure Boot.
My latest EFI folder is attached for reference. The files in this folder are not vaulted or signed for UEFI Secure Boot.

macOS 13.5.2–13.5.6

I also updated macOS from 13.5.1 to 13.5.2 and then to 13.6 using System Preferences.

Screenshot of About This Mac showing that macOS has been updated to 13.6

Attachments

• Update 23 OC 0.9.5.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Thank you for great instruction and also keep provide the update. I had the same Motherboard as you do, I believe mine is working fine with the keyboard/mouse wake up the system. (https://github.com/CharlesCCC/Asus-Prime-Z490-A-OpenCore-Hackintosh) I believe it might have something to do with the BIOS on set the USB/Power behavior. (can't recall the full detail, but if I did, will post here).

Thank you for great instruction and also keep provide the update. I had the same Motherboard as you do, I believe mine is working fine with the keyboard/mouse wake up the system. (https://github.com/CharlesCCC/Asus-Prime-Z490-A-OpenCore-Hackintosh) I believe it might have something to do with the BIOS on set the USB/Power behavior. (can't recall the full detail, but if i did, will post here).
Let me know if you figure it out. I remember trying a bunch of stuff when I first set up this build, but nothing worked for me.

Back