Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - Thunderbolt 2.0 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a chance. The Mac pro has all its graphics card ports internally routed to thunderbolt. There is no way to do that on this board. the best current option for doing this is kinda sloppy, but the Asrock Extreme11/AC has DP input that routes the signal to thunderbolt so you can have one port of your discrete card (or more with MST) sent over thunderbolt. I believe it uses the same chip as the gigabyte board and so is a good contender as well. Will likely need an MSR patch but otherwise hardware is OS X safe.

Hopefully some card makers (and board makers, who are also usually the same companies) will start making internal ports on their GFX cards and motherboards so this routing can be done easily and cleanly in future generations.

g\

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the best configuration that will allow to work with my 27" Thunderbolt Display, what you say about Asrock Extreme11/AC is very interesting, but I couldn't find any post where this is reported to work with Thunderbolt Display, have you any direct experience on this ?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the best configuration that will allow to work with my 27" Thunderbolt Display, what you say about Asrock Extreme11/AC is very interesting, but I couldn't find any post where this is reported to work with Thunderbolt Display, have you any direct experience on this ?

No direct experience but no reason it wouldn't work.
g\

Audio issue moved to audio forum

Thanks for your hard work guys! Thanks to you my first build was the UP5 TH and I love it. I eagerly await your progress with this board.

I can confirm that the Thunderbolt video output works with the Asrock Z87 Extreme9/ac. I have dual HD 7970s connected to the DP input on the motherboard and output via the thunderbolt connection to an Apple thunderbolt display.

Thunderbolt Display.jpg

I currently have the Z77 thunderbolt mobo, which I'm using with a UA "Apollo" interface with thunderbolt. I would buy this new board in a flash if I thought it would work with the Apollo. But UA has said that the Apollo will not be compatible with the new Mac Pro's until a firmware update "sometime in 2014". So I assume, since this board has been said to have the same TB chip as the Apple implementation, it won't work with the Apollo until UA's firmware update is available. I know this is a very small niche for Hackintosh users, but if anyone has this combo, please let me know.

I can confirm that the Thunderbolt video output works with the Asrock Z87 Extreme9/ac. I have dual HD 7970s connected to the DP input on the motherboard and output via the thunderbolt connection to an Apple thunderbolt display.
View attachment 78919

How did you connect the 'Dual HD7970s' to a single DP IN port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back