Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - Thunderbolt 2.0 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to get my legacy Motu firewire audio device to be working again and not quite sure if its a Motu audio driver thing or a Thunderbolt to Firewire thing.

Update: I've done a few more restarts and I'm puzzled. If I connect an external Thunderbolt drive directly, it mounts okay. But as soon as I connect it to a Thunderbolt dock (Akitio Thunder2 Dock), it won't mount. A firewire drive connected through the dock, as well as an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter also doesn't work. I first would like to verify a Thunderbolt to Firewire connection of any kind works before trying to figure out my Firwire audio interface issue....

Anyone have any ideas of where to start troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance!

The FireWire adapter probably has to be connected to the Hackintosh before starting up. Are you doing that? The FireWire cable can be hot plugged whenever.
Yes, I am restarting everytime making sure the device(s) are powered on and connected at boot time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: I've done a few more restarts and I'm puzzled. If I connect an external Thunderbolt drive directly, it mounts okay. But as soon as I connect it to a Thunderbolt dock (Akitio Thunder2 Dock), it won't mount. A firewire drive connected through the dock, as well as an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter also doesn't work. I first would like to verify a Thunderbolt to Firewire connection of any kind works before trying to figure out my Firwire audio interface issue....

Anyone have any ideas of where to start troubleshooting this?
I haven't had any problems with the FireWire port on the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock or the VANTEC 2+1 FireWire 800/400 PCIe Combo Host Card Model UGT-FW210
You should be able to find in IORegistryExplorer.app that a AppleFWOHCI driver is attached to the FireWire devices which should have class-code 0c0010 (property value: <10 00 0c 00>)

I would think that if any device on the dock works, then all of them should work or at least they should be detected (appear in IORegistryExplorer.app). Did you check the USB and eSATA ports?

Only thing I can suggest with your current setup is to switch which Thunderbolt port you use to connect the dock to the computer. That has worked for me once.

If you're Thunderbolt drive is Thunderbolt 1 then it belongs at the end of the chain. If it's Thunderbolt 2 and has a second Thunderbolt 2 port, then you could switch it's location in the chain.

I did the following:
Code:
sudo su -
mkdir /tmp/moved_helpers/
cd "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/"
cp -R ExpressCard.menu Ink.menu IrDA.menu /tmp/moved_helpers/
rm -Rf ExpressCard.menu Ink.menu IrDA.menu

This helped me out a lot three years ago, never said a proper thanks.

Now that I've upgraded to Sierra (not High Sierra), I believe these commands no longer work, I'm getting "Operation not permitted" on the following command:

Code:

Is there another command(s) to do a similar job?

Thank you!

This helped me out a lot three years ago, never said a proper thanks.

Now that I've upgraded to Sierra (not High Sierra), I believe these commands no longer work, I'm getting "Operation not permitted" on the following command:

Code:

Is there another command(s) to do a similar job?

Thank you!

Glad it was some help. After reading your reply I spent some time trying to recall specifically what that was fixing. It would seem I am getting old.

I suspect that removing those via the shell (assuming you didn't not forget the sudo su -) is being blocked by the System Integrity Protection (SIP) features. You can Google turning it off (which is not really optimal) or you can try booting off a Unibeast thumbdrive, mounting the hard drive, and removing them under those circumstances. I believe you can also do the dance of disabling SIP, making those changes, and then re-enabling SIP.

Pretty sure SIP is what is blocking that though. Perhaps someone else will confirm.

Pretty deep thread necromancy going on here though. :)

Hi! Can you share your custom DSDT & SSDT for GA-Z87X-UD7-TH please! I spend so many time trying to find how to make my own ssdt, but no luck i get only errors. Help me please. Thanks for any your response.
Oh, it seems I'm still subscribed to this OLD thread ;)

But, as far as I can remember that after struggeling for some time, I've used Pikers ssDTPRgen.sh for this. AS this is dependent on your CPU, you should use this.
ssdtPRgen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back