Contribute
Register

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH won't boot without -x option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Middleman,

hope you're not on holidays ;)

You're lucky I'm not, though I wish I could... ;)

About your prob, did you set USERDSDT in your Multibeast? Multibeast will add the relevant drivers for your drive.
It will also install Chameleon and Chimera - both requirements for your system to self-boot from the HD.
You also need to make sure your format of the drives is with GPT/GUID partitioning and in Mac Journaled HFS format.

If I remember, my selections for the UP5 TH with Multibeast were USERDSDT, Without DSDT Realtek ALC898 Audio
and my Nvidia graphics driver. I also added the Nvidia Mac GEForce drivers for extra stability...

Yeah, me too, but to much work..

Anyway, I did reinstall everything on the SSD, like you wrote below, and now it's working again.
But the boot time is quite long. After the apple logo appears, it takes over 30sec. Is that normal? I've read from boot times around 16s.
I have a second drive (HD 1 TB) installed for data.

Another thing is, that on the second monitor, resolution seems to be limited to 1680x1050, although the monitor could use 1920x1200.
Is that a prob of the Nvidia card, or of the sys preferences?

To solve your problem of long boot times you will need to update to F11 Bios and use my settings. That will solve the problem...

As for your secondary screen issue I'm not sure - but assuming you've downloaded the proper Nvidia Mac GEForce drivers they should work better...

Hmm, I've already updated to F11, and I think I'm using the same settings like you wrote. Nvidia drivers are installed. Maybe I should disable the onboard video?
Is it correct, that there are UEFI and normal devices displayed at bios, when I press F12?

Thanks for your patience.

Has anyone been able to figure this out? Graphics are limited to 1680X1080

My system is using the HD4000 graphics on chip with no external card.

But I have the same limitation, and can't find a way to change it.

I am running 10.8.2

Hmm, I've already updated to F11, and I think I'm using the same settings like you wrote. Nvidia drivers are installed. Maybe I should disable the onboard video?
Is it correct, that there are UEFI and normal devices displayed at bios, when I press F12?

Thanks for your patience.
No you shouldn't disable onboard video, though that is a preference.

And yes it is (normal for UEFI devices to appear at BIOS). :)

Does it make a difference, which Model ID I install via Mutlibeast? Should I install the MacPro ID?
And what did you change to get USB 3 working?

The ID I use on my system is MacPro 3,1. Yes of course you should install the MacPro ID - it is probably the most compatible for this board.
As for the USB 3.0 well I didn't install any drivers for it - there was no need. I simply enabled it in the BIOS, set XHCI to AUTO and Preboot XHCI detection to enabled.

@Middleman: I installed my Gigabyte Z77x-UP5-TH today and thanks to your posting quite successfully!

Thanks for your effort and of course to everybody else for all the help here in the forum & community :clap:

Now everything is looking good. I got a new 27" monitor with 2680 x 1440 solution, could color-calibrate it, installed my fonts, solved probs with font management, like with every new OSX version (which is a shame for apple!!!!) and got firewire and usb3 working without any probs.
But still I have issues with the boot time, and, more disturbing, the finder doesn't remember open windows at reboot. Is there a workaround for this? It in fact remembers any opened applications and relaunches them, but not the windows in Finder. I tried to repair rights on the SSD (boot disk), but that didn't help.

And thanks so much for your help so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back