Contribute
Register

First Hackintosh Powermac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
you wont need 650 watt. 500 are more than enough. i guess 400 would work as well. u dont play games, so u dont need that much, better buy a cheap passive graphics card its much better than the intel HD graphics.

Thanks for the advice!

you wont need 650 watt. 500 are more than enough. i guess 400 would work as well. u dont play games, so u dont need that much, better buy a cheap passive graphics card its much better than the intel HD graphics.

"Cheap" graphics cards really aren't much better (if at all) than the intel 4000 graphics. If you are going to drop any amount of money on a discrete card go with an entry level gaming card that can offer significant performance over the integrated graphics such as a GTX 650.

As far as the PSU is concerned 650W is overkill, but you probably aren't going to find a fully modular unit with much fewer watts.

its probably cheaper to buy an i5 + GC than buying an i7 with HD4000. buts thats up to you. i would always prefer a GC over an integrated GC. next question is: why would you need an i7 when you only do surfing and stuff ? i5 or i3 is enogh for that. and those CPU are much cheaper !

but thats all up to you :D i would buy such an expenisve system, cause it looses its worth quickly. about 1 year later your system will be half the price u bought it for....

Yes i know that it is the rear, but if you look at the last picture of the first post you see the wire. The wire runs from the front to the rear and is attached to the wifi antenna and the power button card.
Are you sure it is connected to the front panel power button assembly. I have the same model as you and they were just lying in the bottom of the case. I could see the place on the motherboard (near the speaker) where the WIFI card would be installed.

BTW, I am keeping and intend to re-use the antenna eventually.

Reusing the original power button/front panel assembly is actually one of the easier parts of this mod if you have any wiring/soldering skills at all.

Here's the wiring diagram for the front panel...
I think this wiring diagram is for the G5 model before yours, and is not of any use to you. My approach was to solder cables directly to the board for the connections I needed, and run these wires to my motherboard. If you need more information let me know. The progress on my build can be found via the following link.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods...5-late-2005-project-design-according-ive.html

Well its been a long time but i ordered some stuff for the G5.

Currently waiting to arrive:

- Apple PowerMac G5 Front USB AUDIO Input Panel Power Button 630-4805 / 820-1560 (because i didn't have this version)
- Mini PCI-E to PCI-E Wireless Adapter + 3 Antenna
- Corsair CX 80Plus Bronze 500w
- Fractal design Casefan Silent R2 60mm (2x)
- Broadcom Mini PCI-E Card BCM94321MC
- Laser Hive G5 mATX Backplate conversion kit (120mm Fan), motherboard tray kit.

When i have the goods will post pictures.

Also ordered the bluetooth module from apple.

And i have question about a MB is the one provided in the link below workable are will it be to difficult? And then i mean sofware wise?

http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4168#ov

So received some parts the last week.

- Laser Hive G5 mATX Backplate conversion kit (120mm Fan), motherboard tray kit
What a beautiful stuff!!

IMG_0141.jpg IMG_0142.jpg

-Well ordered the Corsair CX 500M and instead i got the CX 600M
- Fractal design Casefan Silent R2 60mm (2x)
This will be put in the original case from the G5 power supply.

IMG_0143.jpg IMG_0147.jpg

- Broadcom Mini PCI-E Card BCM94321MC
- Mini PCI-E to PCI-E Wireless Adapter + 3 Antenna
-Apple PowerMac G5 Front USB AUDIO Input Panel Power Button 630-4805 / 820-1560 (and i was very happy, it did came with the original cable and was brand new)

IMG_0144.jpg IMG_0146.jpg

Will keep you updated.

Question???

If i want to use the original socket (as in the picture) do i need to keep the black roll on the right of the socket?
(its filled whit the blue and the brown wires, it almost looks like a dynamo)

IMG_0152.jpg

It's a ferrite inductor designed to stop the switching noise of the PSU getting back into the mains. Your new PSU is likely to have this filtering present already, so you can remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back