Contribute
Register

El Capitan Boot Error... Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unfortunately not.

Based on your previous post you have a H77-DS3H motherboard with an unspecified i5 processor.
Out of the three required items you have one correct (= Graphics).

Boot with your USB installer in a USB2 port.
Press f12 to enter the boot loader then select your USB installer as the boot device.
At the Clover screen select your hard drive and boot in verbose mode.

Post a picture of the screen when it stops.

You mean I got one right??? Wow, I'm doing WAY better than I thought... Thanks for your patience. Here's my new verbose mode screenshot:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
You mean I got one right??? Wow, I'm doing WAY better than I thought... Thanks for your patience. Here's my new verbose mode screenshot:

Your screenshot shows nothing out of the ordinary.
How long did you wait ?
Watch the hard drive activity light, is it flickering ?

How long did I wait to do what?

There is no light on the front of my box.

Until the "no" (circle/slash) sign appeared and the text turned to gibberish.

Ok, I followed your previous instruction... Booted from usb, chose my hard drive, booted in verbose mode. Got the same screen I posted before, and about a minute later it turned to this:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
Ok, I followed your previous instruction... Booted from usb, chose my hard drive, booted in verbose mode. Got the same screen I posted before, and about a minute later it turned to this:

What I said was "Post a picture of the screen when it stops" not "post a picture from the middle of the boot sequence".

It has taken 19 posts to get to this point and we didn't even get your profile filled in.

The screenshot shows "Still waiting for root device" and when booting from a USB flash drive that usually means that the flash drive is in a USB3 socket. If that is the case move it to a USB2 socket - If it is already in a USB2 socket, move it to another one.

If you still cannot progress I suggest that you put your hard drive in another Mac / Hack and repair it.

If that doesn't help try an in-place installation of the operating system over the top of your existing install WITHOUT formatting the hard drive - This would leave all of your data intact.

If that doesn't work then your hard drive is probably borked - Buy a new hard drive, install the operating system and restore your backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back