Contribute
Register

Continuity and Handoff Capable Apple Mini Cards + PCIe and mini-PCIe Adapters

I bought the card at OSXWifi as recommended in this topic. However, since my hack is located on the floor and the antennas are in the back, I get terrible reception. Mouse laggy, bluetooth headphones cut sound and the like.
What can I do? Would something like this [http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034CQSKW/] enable me to improve reception by placing it on the desk or something?
More than asking about improvement (I know an extender would work, just like I had my old bluetooth adapter with an USB extension "taped" next to the keyboard, but not sure if I should get something that has 4 antennas or what).

There are something wrong, but I doubt it is about your antennas.
Did you patched something?

Bought the unit from osxwifi. Works perfect, Bluetooth and wifi. Great bandwidth. rock solid connections.

problem is...can't turn the computer off...it just restarts after a few seconds. Tried to enable/disable erp...tried to disable wake on lan...nothing seems to help...any ideas? Once I pull the card...the system works perfect again...even sleeps as it should...!!!

Using apple mouse and pad and apple wired keyboard. And Apple extreme router.

any ideas for the shut down problem...already poured over this site...can't find anything that works...

Bought the unit from osxwifi. Works perfect, Bluetooth and wifi. Great bandwidth. rock solid connections.

problem is...can't turn the computer off...it just restarts after a few seconds. Tried to enable/disable erp...tried to disable wake on lan...nothing seems to help...any ideas? Once I pull the card...the system works perfect again...even sleeps as it should...!!!

Using apple mouse and pad and apple wired keyboard. And Apple extreme router.

any ideas for the shut down problem...already poured over this site...can't find anything that works...

Can't help @Arnoldhasmail BUT I have a similar problem with my own version of this card. All works perfectly again if I put my old TP-Link back in.

I suspect it's the USB connection to these cards. I'm continually working on finding a solution but so far ... :crazy:

I have HP 4530s Probook and i want to change the wifi to let it support handoff

anybody can help me picking a card that will work on my laptop? also please give me a link on Aazon or eBay

Thank you

Can't help @Arnoldhasmail BUT I have a similar problem with my own version of this card. All works perfectly again if I put my old TP-Link back in.

I suspect it's the USB connection to these cards. I'm continually working on finding a solution but so far ... :crazy:

I tried the card with the usb cable connected and disconnected...didn't help.

Thanks for your reply

I have HP 4530s Probook and i want to change the wifi to let it support handoff

anybody can help me picking a card that will work on my laptop? also please give me a link on Aazon or eBay

Thank you

There are none. The 4530s has a whitelist that precludes installing a compatible WiFi/BT card.

There are something wrong, but I doubt it is about your antennas.
Did you patched something?
No, didn't patch anything at all.
I tried with the antenna extension I posted before (D-Link) but it has only marginally improved the dBm (bit lower now); bluetooth headphones still cut off like crazy. I'm starting to think I either put the hackintosh case on my head for it to work or I just wasted $100 USD on that useless (for my case) OSXWifi recommended card (not to talk about the fact I asked their support but never got a response and it's been a month).

It's that time when I once again regret going the hackintosh route, since you find a problem and you're on your own, unless it's a generic "cannot install OS X" one.

No, didn't patch anything at all.
I tried with the antenna extension I posted before (D-Link) but it has only marginally improved the dBm (bit lower now); bluetooth headphones still cut off like crazy. I'm starting to think I either put the hackintosh case on my head for it to work or I just wasted $100 USD on that useless (for my case) OSXWifi recommended card (not to talk about the fact I asked their support but never got a response and it's been a month).

It's that time when I once again regret going the hackintosh route, since you find a problem and you're on your own, unless it's a generic "cannot install OS X" one.

May not help - and you may have left the hackintosh scene now - BUT I had a problem with signal reception and juddering/dropouts on BT too. Metal PC case and aerials round the back.

First thing I noticed was that using the 5ghz wifi radio stopped the juddering. 2.4ghz seemed to be causing great problems.

Secondly, I use an aerial extender to desktop now - just like you tried. I haven't got the OSXWifi brand card but a similar one. Sounds obvious I know but check you are attaching the external aerial to the BT socket. Is it marked clearly? (I checked the OSXWifi website and can't make out on their photos if it is.) Luckily on mine it is, but if it's not clear on yours then move the aerial lead around from socket to socket etc. or Google for info on which output - J1 to J4 - it is.

Thirdly. With the aerial on the BT port the 2.4ghz radio is working more reliably now too.

Incidentally I picked up a Gigabyte OEM aerial from Ebay, the type originally supplied with their Windows wireless PCI-e cards and their wifi-inclusive motherboards. It has two cables so I connected one to BT and the other to a wifi just for the heck of it. Works very well now.

Last edited:
May not help - and you may have left the hackintosh scene now - BUT I had a problem with signal reception and juddering/dropouts on BT too. Metal PC case and aerials round the back.
Yes, that's exactly the issue.
Thanks for your input and help:

First thing I noticed was that using the 5ghz wifi radio stopped the juddering. 2.4ghz seemed to be causing great problems.
I'm using 5Ghz as well.

Sounds obvious I know but check you are attaching the external aerial to the BT socket. Is it marked clearly? (I checked the OSXWifi website and can't make out on their photos if it is.)

{...}

Thirdly. With the aerial on the BT port the 2.4ghz radio is working more reliably now too.
I tried all 4 of them so far, and there is only one that "apparently" seems to be the BT one, since I get 50-60 dBm, however yes, it's not clear which one is it, OSXWifi really seems like a home garage project, since the manual was a plain old color printed document.

Unfortunately, still sound is extremely choppy with the BT Headset. Never had the issue before, don't know if I posted that or not but anyway, I was using one of the recommended dongles before the PCIe card and I had an USB extender (basically, next to the keyboard and mouse) and the sound quality was top notch and no cut-offs whatsoever, so I guess it is indeed a problem with BT range.

The antenna I bought is the one I posted before, a D-Link and it's huge, I have tried even putting the antenna next to the headset but same thing, ~60-70 dBm which means extreme choppiness.

Back