Contribute
Register

Clover crashing on 'scanning entries' because of software RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's awesome! Thanks for the fast response! How did you even get to discovering the names for the drives if you couldn't boot with them connected? ;-) I can't remember what mine are titled...

Well firstly I still had my working Yosemite on my SSD and first set up a test 10.11 on "Clubs" volume, which worked.

But secondly, it didn't matter about my RAID and not being able to boot with it plugged in. Before I solved it I just unplugged the 1 drive in the RAID that was causing the issue until I solved it. So it didn't really matter what the names and UUIDs etc of my RAID were, and it doesn't matter about yours either. Turning off 'scanning entries" is the key - that way it will ignore the RAID and not freeze on scanning entries. We're not telling the config.plist what to ignore, we're telling it what to manually add, ie. I only want to see my SSD really and nothing else. Some people use it to add their Windows boot drive as well.

"Clubs" is my backup drive for emergencies so I have that as an entry too.

I don't really know what scanning entries is doing (perhaps searching for EFI partitions or something) given that it still has to be aware of what hard drives ARE there in order to match my manual addition of 'custom entries' but...it works... so I like it haha

Good luck

Oh and if you can't even boot up at the moment, then you will have to disconnect the drive as there isn't any other way of booting with clover, scanning entries happens before the GUI comes up and I only know how to change the config.plist once it's booted. Only other alternative is to pull out your boot drive and plug it in somewhere else (on another mac).

.....I only know how to change the config.plist once it's booted.

Use right arrow key to move selection hi-lite to options, hit enter. Use down arrow key to hi-lite boot-args list, hit enter. Make any changes to the boot-arg list you want to make, hit enter. Use down arrow key to hi-lite return, hit enter.

This changes the config.plist for this boot only. Permanent changes need to be made with a plist editor.

Use right arrow key to move selection hi-lite to options, hit enter. Use down arrow key to hi-lite boot-args list, hit enter. Make any changes to the boot-arg list you want to make, hit enter. Use down arrow key to hi-lite return, hit enter.

This changes the config.plist for this boot only. Permanent changes need to be made with a plist editor.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was talking about making changes to the config.plist in the context and relevancy to the topic of this thread. Temporarily making changes to the BOOT ARGUMENTS has no effect on the 'scanning entries' and adding 'custom entries' discussion we are having here. All of that occurs BEFORE the clover boot screen that you are referring to where you can arrow over to 'options' and temporarily change some of the settings in config.plist.

So as far as I know, you can only change settings that relate to scanning entries and custom entries by changing the config.plist, as there is no way to halt the 'scanning entries' before it begins if you haven't already switched it off in advance.

So thus, if you're having the issue I've described in this thread, you cannot solve it by hoping to arrow over to options to change some boot arguments. It won't have even gotten to the screen you're talking about, as it would have already crashed and frozen on 'scanning entries'. So anyone else reading this that has the 'crashing on scanning entries' issue, please do not get confused and try this solution.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was talking about making changes to the config.plist in the context and relevancy to the topic of this thread. Temporarily making changes to the BOOT ARGUMENTS has no effect on the 'scanning entries' and adding 'custom entries' discussion we are having here. All of that occurs BEFORE the clover boot screen that you are referring to where you can arrow over to 'options' and temporarily change some of the settings in config.plist.

So as far as I know, you can only change settings that relate to scanning entries and custom entries by changing the config.plist, as there is no way to halt the 'scanning entries' before it begins if you haven't already switched it off in advance.

So thus, if you're having the issue I've described in this thread, you cannot solve it by hoping to arrow over to options to change some boot arguments. It won't have even gotten to the screen you're talking about, as it would have already crashed and frozen on 'scanning entries'. So anyone else reading this that has the 'crashing on scanning entries' issue, please do not get confused and try this solution.

Thanks
Sorry I misunderstood - read only last couple of posts instead of the whole thread.

Can you boot to desktop using the UniBeast USB installer you installed with instead of booting from the SSD/HDD so you can run Clover Configurator?

Sorry I misunderstood - read only last couple of posts instead of the whole thread.

Can you boot to desktop using the UniBeast USB installer you installed with instead of booting from the SSD/HDD so you can run Clover Configurator?

Thanks for trying to help. I was never having trouble booting up to change config.plist and run Clover Configurator. I had a working Yosemite the whole time and a test El Capitan. This post was about sharing my experiences with this very specific issue in case someone else had the same problem (which turns out was the case).

I'm good - my El Capitan is working perfectly. My trackpad is working, I got USB working on most of my ports, my new PCE-E USB3 card works perfectly, iMessage is working perfectly, I was able to update to 10.11.1, and I can keep my RAID plugged in as I have scanning entries turned off and my 2 custom entries work great to choose between my main SSD or my backup drive.

Ah! Got it. I misunderstood and was adding my problem drives to the scan list.

I didn't see your post so I wound up reformatting my hard drives on another system, plugging them back into the new clover system and it booted. Reformatted as a Stripe using terminal (Apple Raid support has been removed from the disk util GUI for some reason...) then copied the footage down from the NAS. Took all day, but at least it worked.

Thanks for the help!

I also came across this problem. But even after adding manual entries and turning off the scan in the config.plist, it never even gets to the clover screen, just reboots when the raid drives are plugged in.

If I unplug the raid, it works. I don't know if it matters but I'm using legacy bios not UEFI.
Just like you I am testing out el capitan on a separate drive and have a fully working system on another.
But I need that raid if I'm going to upgrade, I'm sure it would show up in el capitan if I could just get past the clover boot :/

I haven't experienced this because I'm not on legacy - but there is a legacy checkbox in clover configurator - did you uncheck that to see if it helps?

I'm good - my El Capitan is working perfectly. My trackpad is working, I got USB working on most of my ports, my new PCE-E USB3 card works perfectly, iMessage is working perfectly, I was able to update to 10.11.1, and I can keep my RAID plugged in as I have scanning entries turned off and my 2 custom entries work great to choose between my main SSD or my backup drive.

Have you thought about writing a step-by-step guide for others who might have the same problem can follow? The more guides we have the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back