Contribute
Register

Can only boot in Safe Mode after update 10.10.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to mount it (eg. assign a drive letter) with diskpart.exe. And you'll need to do all mods from an elevated CMD.EXE prompt, or re-launch explorer.exe as Admin (eg. elevated).You should install all kexts you need to /S/L/E. Clover injection (EFI/Clover/kexts) should only be use when necessary (installer and recovery).FakePCIID is not needed for HD4000. Device 8086:0166 is recognized natively.
Ok so do I remove the Clover Other kext and move them to S/L/E?

Ok so do I remove the Clover Other kext and move them to S/L/E?

Essential kexts should remain in Clover/kexts for purposes of booting the recovery partition. All kexts required for the system should go to /S/L/E. Yes, this results in duplicates.

Essential kexts should remain in Clover/kexts for purposes of booting the recovery partition. All kexts required for the system should go to /S/L/E. Yes, this results in duplicates.

Ok cool! So this means I have to use kext utility to copy them to S/L/E? By them I mean the FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, RealtekRTL8111 and the GenericUSBXHCI kexts, right? Any other kext I should install there? I downloaded the combo update, is this safer than the app store update? Finally any last suggestion before updating using the combo update? Remember last time I could only boot in safe mode, anything else I should consider doing to have success updating? Sorry for so many questions I want to succeed this time.

Ok cool! So this means I have to use kext utility to copy them to S/L/E? By them I mean the FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, RealtekRTL8111 and the GenericUSBXHCI kexts, right? Any other kext I should install there?

Yes and any other kext you need. Make sure you're using kext-dev-mode=1. Make sure you repair permissions & rebuild cache. I like to use Kext Wizard.

I downloaded the combo update, is this safer than the app store update?

Same.

Finally any last suggestion before updating using the combo update? Remember last time I could only boot in safe mode, anything else I should consider doing to have success updating? Sorry for so many questions I want to succeed this time.

If you're using Clover properly, it should just work... I tend to eliminate hotpatches (config.plist KextsToPatch) that I think might not work with the new version and enable them one-by-one post-update.

Yes and any other kext you need. Make sure you're using kext-dev-mode=1. Make sure you repair permissions & rebuild cache. I like to use Kext Wizard.

Same.

If you're using Clover properly, it should just work... I tend to eliminate hotpatches (config.plist KextsToPatch) that I think might not work with the new version and enable them one-by-one post-update.

On Clover boot screen when I go to options it says on Boot Args: kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0 nv_disable=1

Is that ok? or should I modify it to only show the one you mentioned? (kext-dev-mode=1 }

On Clover boot screen when I go to options it says on Boot Args: kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0 nv_disable=1

It is typical. I include those flags in my config.plist files in the guide...

It is typical. I include those flags in my config.plist files in the guide...

Ok well I'm set up, gonna post later the results, here's hoping this time I succeed, thanks for the help again RehabMan!

:thumbup:

SUCCESS!!!

I can confirm that I successfully updated to OS X 10.10.3 on ASUSQ500A using Clover!

I have successfully identified the root cause of the problem that will cause the boot screen reboot on Clover:

Boot screen graphics glitch if set to disabled in config.plist will allow to properly boot, when it is deleted from config.plist to activate patch to remove boot graphics glitch causes the reboot on Clover! Tested and absolutely sure of this finding, this is how I resolved my issue, sharing the news with the community in hopes this finding helps others update to 10.10.3.

@RehabMan:

Could you somehow fix the config.plist in order to make the boot graphics glitch fix work in 10.10.3? I can see patches up to 10.10.2 but not 10.10.3.

View attachment config.plist.zip

Boot screen graphics glitch if set to disabled in config.plist will allow to properly boot, when it is deleted from config.plist to activate patch to remove boot graphics glitch causes the reboot on Clover! Tested and absolutely sure of this finding, this is how I resolved my issue, sharing the news with the community in hopes this finding helps others update to 10.10.3.

You must have damaged the file while editing it. Setting it to 'disabled:IOGraphicsFamily' and eliminating it entirely will have the same effect.

You should always edit plist files with a plist editor such that you don't damage the syntax.

Could you somehow fix the config.plist in order to make the boot graphics glitch fix work in 10.10.3? I can see patches up to 10.10.2 but not 10.10.3.

I'm using the 10.10.2 (boot glitch fix) patch on 10.10.3 and it is working.

You must have damaged the file while editing it. Setting it to 'disabled:IOGraphicsFamily' and eliminating it entirely will have the same effect.

You should always edit plist files with a plist editor such that you don't damage the syntax.

I'm using the 10.10.2 (boot glitch fix) patch on 10.10.3 and it is working.

With 10.10.2 I had no problems, it ran perfect, but in 10.10.3 doesn't, for 10.10.2 I edited it with plist edit pro and remove the word disabled as suggested by yourself, I'm using the same plist for 10.10.3, suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back