Contribute
Register

Acer Aspire S3/S5 Ultrabook Master Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acer Aspire S3/S5 Ultrabook Master Forum

Did you create your Unibeast with "Legacy USB"?
I _HAD_ to do this to boot into the installer. Before that, I could only copy the Unibeast to its own partition and install from one partition to another. Also, I gave up on trying to keep MBR and went GUID with my own copy of Windows.

-Hwthrn

I just bought this laptop (Model I) and love that everything seems to be working so well on it. From reading in some other forums I see that people have had issues with the wifi in this model. Does your wireless card work or did you swap it out?

Also wondering about how well sleep works for you.

I will be trying this out later tonight but thought I would ask first so I know what to expect.

Thanks for the great work so far Hwthrn!

I'm using a $10 small USB Wi-Fi with OSX drivers, and still having USB problems.
Also, I'm patiently waiting to hear from other new Ivy Bridge CPU users to see how they get Turbo working, so the machine's a bit slower than it should be... Everything should be worked out in a matter of two weeks.
I will replace the internal Wi-Fi with an Apple-compatible one. (probably the half-mini PCIE with an AR9380 chipset). This machine is bound to have everything working except maybe the trackpad very, very soon! The Sandy Bridge models seem to be easier to set up, though!

Hi,

I currently have the "T" model S5. I am looking to convert it to osx86. Before I do, I need to make sure that wifi and sound works. The wifi is AR5BMD222 and sound just says Realtek High Definition Audio. Is the wifi and sound same or different then the S3 model?

I got ML to install on the S5, but I'm still missing audio, wifi, and hd4000, usb3.

Anyone have any suggestion?

It's only been a few days of trying to install ML on the acer S5, but I think I will wait it awhile before trying this again. Mainly because there is no driver for the wifi, and the way Acer S5 are made, the wifi board is soldered onto the motherboard so no mini pci-e slot. Getting usb dongle is an option, but the usb port are hidden, so it would be inconvenient and a pain to have to remove and plug in all the time. Also I have not been able to get sound and sleep to work yet.

Sorry, I went away for the weekend... Wifi is soldered on? Wow, are you sure? S3 has the (super small...) half-mini-PCIE Atheros 5BWB222, and it comes out with one screw, so I'll replace it soon with another Atheros (AR9280, maybe), but I understand I'll lose Bluetooth because it's together with the Wi-Fi.

Wow, that's right, the S5 has a (motorized??) James Bond MagicFlip I/O panel. The first thing I'd do is somehow disable it's power while it's open!!!!

You've got ALC269 Audio, so here's the fix that works with a clean install:
It's a patched ALC269 installer + HDAEnabler.kext

Lemme know if it works! Scroll back to page 1 for an easy HD4000 graphics fix!
-Hwthrn

Attachments

• AcerS3 ALC269 Audio Fix 10.8.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 428

That's probably a typo; it's most likely the same 3317U...

I am about to abandon this thread that I started since I will purchase a Mac Pro and sell my Aspire. I recommend looking at a more capable machine Like the HP Probook (Sandy Bridge) because I still can't get Turbo above the 1.6Ghz, (but Windows screams up to 2.6) and I have work to do in FCP, so gotta get the real thing!!!
I can't even connect to the App Store after trying Every trick (built-in, MAC addres spoofing, etc), but the sad truth is that it doesn't have built-in Ethernet to meet App Store's requirements.

-Hwthrn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back