3. LC
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I haven't been here in a while as life does what life does... and my Hacks have been running fine ( Thanks to all at Tonymacx86.com ! ).

I am now contemplating a new build using current CPU's and a Z87X motherboard. Thinking of the GA-Z87X-UD5-TH as the price is currently less than the non TH version and the UD7 seems to be more than double AND out of stock...

My question concerns the differences between the K and non-K CPU's. The K is unlocked, which is obvious; and has a greater base speed than the 4790 ( 4GHz vs 3.6GHz ). But I plan on using a virtual machine to run 10.6.8 server since I have some old essential programs that don't run on later versions of the OS. The Wikipedia article on Core i7 processors states "All models except the K processors additionally support Intel TSX-NI, Intel VT-d, vPro, and TXT" How important in actual use are these additional sets of instructions ? Some, like TXT, seem to only be concerned with TMP while the rest seem to have many possible effects while using virtualization.

I plan on using 16 gigs of RAM and an SSD with main storage on my current server.

Thanks for any input!

Rx4Mac

Hi all,

I haven't been here in a while as life does what life does... and my Hacks have been running fine ( Thanks to all at Tonymacx86.com ! ).

I am now contemplating a new build using current CPU's and a Z87X motherboard. Thinking of the GA-Z87X-UD5-TH as the price is currently less than the non TH version and the UD7 seems to be more than double AND out of stock...

My question concerns the differences between the K and non-K CPU's. The K is unlocked, which is obvious; and has a greater base speed than the 4790 ( 4GHz vs 3.6GHz ). But I plan on using a virtual machine to run 10.6.8 server since I have some old essential programs that don't run on later versions of the OS. The Wikipedia article on Core i7 processors states "All models except the K processors additionally support Intel TSX-NI, Intel VT-d, vPro, and TXT" How important in actual use are these additional sets of instructions ? Some, like TXT, seem to only be concerned with TMP while the rest seem to have many possible effects while using virtualization.

I plan on using 16 gigs of RAM and an SSD with main storage on my current server.

Thanks for any input!

Rx4Mac

Well to help a little, VT-d is nothing to be concerned about. Intel uses 2 types of virtualisation; they are VT-d and VT-x. VT-d (Virtualisation Technology for Directed I/O) is hardly used in OSX at all and it is usually recommended to disable it since it can cause issues with installing and running. Another option is to add dart=0 as a boot flag. In all honesty though, VT-d has little if any use for us hackintoshers.

VT-x on the other hand is the one that makes a difference. It is this one that you want if running VM's (VirtualBox is my favourite). You can safely enable VT-x without issue on your hackintosh and enjoy the benefits of virtual machines running at great speeds.

Just real quick (I'm on my phone and can further elaborate later), I know that any version of OS X which is earlier than 10.8.5 does not support Haswell processors...

Additionally I've heard that the motherboard you are interested in (I've actually completed 2 successful builds with it and the 4770K) does not support the 4790K at this time... I was actually interested in putting together a build which would feature the same processor/motherboard combo that you are mentioning, and another forum memeber replied that they attempted a build with that processor & after contacting Gigabyte, found that most of their 87 motherboards don't support unlocked Haswell-refresh processors...

Hopefully there is an update which may change this, but even so, it may very well be that you would have to go with Mavericks (in my case I'm hoping for Mountain Lion).

Another thing of note concerning the motherboard situation - there is a Z97 UD7 TH which is actually cheaper than the Z87 UD5 TH.. but to my understanding does not offer built in wifi or bluetooth (which I was able to get working natively in OS X thanks to Toleda's guides!).. the plus is side that the 9 series mobo offers Thunderbolt 2, but the negative is there has yet to be a build completed by a forum member which has been able to use the integrated graphics in OS X.. I've also read that there has been issues with power management not working as well as the previous-versions of mobo/cpu combos..

If anyone else can chime in, that'd be greatly appreciated!

wow, when I posted it - the OP's Z87X board was actually listed.

That may have been an old list. I just pre-ordered a 4790K at Amazon and it specifically says "Z97 boards only" and "not compatible with Z87 boards"

That may have been an old list. I just pre-ordered a 4790K at Amazon and it specifically says "Z97 boards only" and "not compatible with Z87 boards"

Ok, I thought so too so I'll have to re-think my choices..

Just about everyplace says that, but Asus has already updated several Z87x board bios's to add support. Intel lists it as supported one place but not the other...

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807...cessor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz#@compatibility

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have a 4771 for sale in a few weeks! (although I just installed a Z97 board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back