Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Well, IMAC provide a superb monitor quality? yes but it comes with a big cost which I couldn't afford it. Do you guy recommend me a similar quality in less cost of IMAC please, most of my works are on the Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop.

Well, I own a Dell U2711 and it has exactly the same panel as the 27" iMac.
Only with anti-glare coating and a LOT of connectivity options.

dell-ultrasharp-u2711-monitor.jpg

They cost around 950 dollar.

If that is a bit pricey you could also go for the Dell U2410 which is -just like the u2711- a superb display.

It costs around 550 dollar.

injectx said:
Well, I own a Dell U2711 and it has exactly the same panel as the 27" iMac.
Only with anti-glare coating and a LOT of connectivity options.

dell-ultrasharp-u2711-monitor.jpg

They cost around 950 dollar.

If that is a bit pricey you could also go for the Dell U2410 which is -just like the u2711- a superb display.

It costs around 550 dollar.

Mhh for that sort of money why not buy a real apple monitor as the del ones although good look awful.

A good option are the Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 LED range which are reasonable priced and look good.

justruss said:
A good monitor is the hardest thing to substitute for an iMac.

You need an IPS monitor at high resolution. And that's going to cost you.
+1

I have terrible eyesight. I only use Apple or NEC professional series monitors for home and office.

At home I have a 23 Apple Cinema Display. Before I retired, I had a NEC LCD2490WXSi. They are very good...best monitors, IMHO.

Now, if you get a Dell Ultra Sharp, which I don't recommend you do, make sure it comes with the calibration paperwork.

At one time I was looking at one of HP's IPS entry series which had a Street Price of ~$400 USD. But, after seeing it first hand, I nixed it.

Bottom-line: you get what you pay for. Seriously! Go look at the monitor(s) before spending money. See an Apple 27" Cinema Display in person. It will make you say, "Wow!" The NEC LCDxx90WS series will do the same to you.

Personally had originally settled for getting an Asus Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236101
Was the closest replacement I could find to an Apple Monitor without shedding 999$ for teh Apple Cinema Display. Slightly lower resolution, 1920x1080 compared to the Apple Cinema Display which goes 2560x1440.

Newegg doesn't seem to want to re-stock that one however, so I switched to this Acer one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009276
Same Specs, no Webcam.

Before this one, never gone for anything as big as a 27".

Stork said:
I have terrible eyesight. I only use Apple or NEC professional series monitors for home and office.

At home I have a 23 Apple Cinema Display. Before I retired, I had a NEC LCD2490WXSi. They are very good...best monitors, IMHO.

Now, if you get a Dell Ultra Sharp, which I don't recommend you do, make sure it comes with the calibration paperwork.

At one time I was looking at one of HP's IPS entry series which had a Street Price of ~$400 USD. But, after seeing it first hand, I nixed it.

Bottom-line: you get what you pay for. Seriously! Go look at the monitor(s) before spending money. See an Apple 27" Cinema Display in person. It will make you say, "Wow!" The NEC LCDxx90WS series will do the same to you.

Why won't you recommend a Dell Ultrasharp? Exact same panel as the Apple 27" Cinema Display (with antiglare coating).

Plus.. and this is a great disadvantage: if you want to hookup an Apple LED Cinema screen to your Hackintosh, you need an Apple 5770 which will cost you double or triple the price of a "normal" consumer 5770. Besides that, the Apple screen doesn't have any connectivity options. So if you want to connect your other pc/server or ps3/xbox it's a no-go.

Of course, the design of the LED Cinema displays is gorgeous!

Implied said:
Personally had originally settled for getting an Asus Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236101
Was the closest replacement I could find to an Apple Monitor without shedding 999$ for teh Apple Cinema Display. Slightly lower resolution, 1920x1080 compared to the Apple Cinema Display which goes 2560x1440.

Newegg doesn't seem to want to re-stock that one however, so I switched to this Acer one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009276
Same Specs, no Webcam.

Before this one, never gone for anything as big as a 27".

For gaming, that's fine.

For photography/video work it is not.

The second link-- the one you say you've switched to-- is a TN monitor (bad colors for critical work), and the resolution difference is a big deal. I wouldn't consider a 24 inch monitor at 1080 to be near the same category as an iMac monitor, let alone a 27 inch monitor at that resolution.

Again, for gaming there's a reason that TN is better than IPS-- response speed. But for color critical work, it's not even in the same league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back