CPU
<< need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
HD5770
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hello!! i am ready to power up my new built anyday now..

i have a Gigabyte P55 based board with Intel Core i7

im a bit confused with the whole iBoot deal....

I only see 3 options here: Supported, Nvidia, Ati. Someone mentioned here to use the 'regular' iBoot in order to get a vanilla install..I guess the question will be, if i want a vanilla install which of the 3 iBoots do I use? (using the retail SL DVD)
...which gets me to another question..the retail install that is currently out in the stores is 10.6.3...the guide that Tony put out is for 10.6..would it also apply for the 10.6.3 retail disc that is out now?

thanks! im trying to install a vanilla system and dual boot with w7 and from research this board tends to do very well with vanilla installs!

drho2004 said:
hello!! i am ready to power up my new built anyday now..

i have a Gigabyte P55 based board with Intel Core i7

im a bit confused with the whole iBoot deal....

I only see 3 options here: Supported, Nvidia, Ati. Someone mentioned here to use the 'regular' iBoot in order to get a vanilla install..I guess the question will be, if i want a vanilla install which of the 3 iBoots do I use? (using the retail SL DVD)
...which gets me to another question..the retail install that is currently out in the stores is 10.6.3...the guide that Tony put out is for 10.6..would it also apply for the 10.6.3 retail disc that is out now?

thanks! im trying to install a vanilla system and dual boot with w7 and from research this board tends to do very well with vanilla installs!

Since you have an ATI Radeon card, you should use the ATI version to make sure you get the support for your video card.
The 10.6.3 disc will work as well as the 10.6.0, just make sure to download and install the 10.6.4 and the graphics update from the Apple update center before running MultiBeast and rebooting.

helloooo

thanks for the response! i have tried already with the iBoot Supported disc, and i was able to install SL but i was only able to boot to desktop if i booted -x from the prompt...seems like a driver issue..currently re-trying with iBoot ATI...see how that goes...btw using the 10.6.3 retail install disc that i purchased yesterday..will keep posted...

another thing...when i attempt to boot from the Chameleon bootloader by pressing 'enter' on the Snow Leopard Install DVD i get the gray with the apple but then it just goes gray...this is the same with both the iBoot Supported and iBoot ATI..i have to boot using -x....

Hi once again

ok this is were i stand right now...

I tried iBoot ATI
- I was unable to load the retail disc without hitting -x first..
-I was able to install SL 10.6.3 into my hardrive. I got the 'failed to install osx into this disc' etc etc
-rebooted with iBoot back in the drive, my SL install shows up.
-i cannot boot it normally. the only way i can boot is if i do a safe boot -x
-I have downloaded 10.6.4 update from apple, but I cannot figure out how to get it on to my safe booted Snow Leopard install as both DVD/CD do not mount on desktop and neither do usb sticks. they show up under Disc Utility but cannot be mounted, i get an error.

so i am stuck now :(
any suggestions?

update:

I was able to get the 10.6.4 update loaded in my 10.6.3 install. I ran it, did not reboot. ran multibeast. tried Easybeast with system utilities. rebooted. nothing got gray screen. went back with -x, got desktop. re-ran Multibeast this time i used DSTS(?) and i downloaded the .aml file from this site to match my motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD4P with F12 bios. Rebooted and same, gray screen.

any suggestions? I have installed and re-ionstalled with both iBoot ATI and Supported, i have not tried Nvidia as I have a ATI Radeon 3850HD card.

drho2004 said:
update:

I was able to get the 10.6.4 update loaded in my 10.6.3 install. I ran it, did not reboot. ran multibeast. tried Easybeast with system utilities. rebooted. nothing got gray screen. went back with -x, got desktop. re-ran Multibeast this time i used DSTS(?) and i downloaded the .aml file from this site to match my motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD4P with F12 bios. Rebooted and same, gray screen.

any suggestions? I have installed and re-ionstalled with both iBoot ATI and Supported, i have not tried Nvidia as I have a ATI Radeon 3850HD card.
Do you have another video card to try? The only video ATI 3xxx card that Apple supports out of the box is the Radeon HD 3870. You will need to add your device ID to Apple's drivers.

MacMan said:
drho2004 said:
update:

Do you have another video card to try? The only video ATI 3xxx card that Apple supports out of the box is the Radeon HD 3870. You will need to add your device ID to Apple's drivers.

oh i see! refresh my memory which apple drivers do i modify? its been a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back