Contribute
Register

Optimal Mid-Range CS5 and Gaming Build(2010/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pink_Waters said:
lol @ final fantasy... :)

Well, you may get a gtx 275 or 285 to benefit from CUDA with your work...
bummer the fermi series are not working optimally at the moment...

I'm hoping that will change by the time I do the build @xmas.

Yeah, I was actually intending to buy a gtx470, but I chickened out and bought a radeon 5870 to be safe..

now I am regretting lack of physx in games, and lack of CUDA for my work :problem:

PDXgeek said:
4) Is using an SSD for the OS's an issue at all?

While SSDs will make you system run a bit faster, they can also have a few issues. Most notably, OSX does not have native "garbage collectio" support for SSDs, which means you'll have to run some periodic maintainance, or risk a severe risk of life span for your SSD.

Actually using a SSD is great idea, the issue of garbage collection has been largely rectified as long as you use one of the newer Sandforce controller based SSDS such as:
OCZ Vertex 2, Corsair Force, OWC Pro Series, etc . These are based on the SF-1200 controller which doesn't require TRIM / Garbage Collection on the software end.

I would say go for the SSD if you can afford it, especially for the boot / application drive.

jindusingh said:
PDXgeek said:
4) Is using an SSD for the OS's an issue at all?

While SSDs will make you system run a bit faster, they can also have a few issues. Most notably, OSX does not have native "garbage collectio" support for SSDs, which means you'll have to run some periodic maintainance, or risk a severe risk of life span for your SSD.

Actually using a SSD is great idea, the issue of garbage collection has been largely rectified as long as you use one of the newer Sandforce controller based SSDS such as:
OCZ Vertex 2, Corsair Force, OWC Pro Series, etc . These are based on the SF-1200 controller which doesn't require TRIM / Garbage Collection on the software end.

I would say go for the SSD if you can afford it, especially for the boot / application drive.

The OCZ Vertex 2 is actually pretty reasonably priced, and I've heard great things about the OWC drives.

I know that the garbage collection is a technical issue, but how is that applied practically? I happen to have an SSD which I don't believe is driven by SF, so I'm curious what type of hit my drive will take/how soon. Also, what type of maintenance is required to keep things running smoothly?

P.S. - sorry for the slight threadjack OP. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back