Contribute
Register

Can't boot unless using iBoot CD first...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello!

Firstly, great, great, GREAT work Tony I'm very much obliged to you. I'm up & running with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 in about the same time as it takes to install Snow Leopard on a regular Mac! ;-)

Setup is a vanilla Dell Optiplex 7 and so far USB, audio and video all work fine. I'm waiting on an Asus PCI WiFi card to arrive in the post but by all accounts that should be fairly trouble-free (WL-138G v2)

The only issue I'm having is booting from the HDD without initially booting from the iBoot ("Supported") CD and choosing the "Snow Leopard" on my HDD. I've upgraded to 10.6.3 and installed Multibeast 2.0 as per the guide, which I believe should allow me to direct-boot form the HDD?

In fact I've gone back & deleted /Extras and tried reinstalling Multibeast again, but always the same issue; upon reboot without iBoot CD inserted I get a very brief flash of the Chameleon screen and then instantly into the OSX / Apple logo with spinning progress wheel at the bottom of the screen. Very little if any HDD activity takes place and after a couple of minutes I end up at a very small circular icon with a line through it - Apple logo still displayed & progress wheel still spinning.

When first partitioning my HDD using Disc Utility in the Snow Leopard installer, I created two partitions (as per the guide for installing Windows 7 in a dual-boot confirguarion); one partition "Snow Leopard" in Mac HFS Journaled, the other as MS-DOS FAT. At the moment I don't have my Windows 7 disc at home so the OSX86 box simply has Snow Leopard on one partition and an empty FAT partition awaiting Win 7.

If I boot with the iBoot CD and choose my Snow Leopard partition I can boot up into Snow Leopard perfectly fine and eject the iBoot CD so it feels like I'm close to a 100% happy system, but it would be great to be able to boot without the CD if I can.

Does anyone have any ideas please? As part of installing Multibeast 2.0 I've installed System Utilities / repaired permissions & cleared cache. Is Step 5 of http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html necessary for my setup? As I understood it Multibeat 2.0 took care of that side of things ("...[Multibeast is] designed to enable boot from hard drive").

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hi, I had the same problem (wont boot without iBoot Supported CD) as you until yesterday night... well maybe it was early this morning :crazy:

Ive read few things around and tried something and it worked for me.
I just copied the extra folder files from the iBoot Supported CD into the extra folder on your HDD. Even if i installed Chameleon. So you could try this. I always make back-up of everything i change, just in case.

Sometimes for an unexpected reason, when I try to boot, with or w/o the iBoot cd, all the light grey screen with the apple logo appears for a few second then a kind of curtain appear slowly telling me to restart computer in different languages. I dont bother with it, i ignore it, i restart then it loads fine after.

Other than that, 90% working osx 10.6.3 on a Lenovo Thinpad T510
As of now, Sleep and Wireless doesnt work. But the ethernet cable works, so Im writing it from my hackintosh.

Hope it helps a bit

Perfect! Many thanks.

Dell Optiplex 745 now boots to a screen with "Snow Leopard" and the FAT disc that's awaiting Win7. No need for the CD since your tip.

Regards,

Steve

Hello,

I've installed macos x 10.6.7 on my Asus T3-G965. All is working well, except I need to have the iBoot CD in when booting otherwise system doesn't boot.

How can you copy the extra folder from iBoot CD (I see nothing in the Finder when CD is mounted) ?

Thanks,

Copying the Extra folder from the iBoot CD to the Extra folder on my Snow Leopard drive worked like a charm. You'll just need to enable viewing of hidden files so you can see the extra folder on the iBoot disc. I just used this guide http://guides.macrumors.com/Viewing_hidden_files_on_a_Mac

Hi,

one question : where is your extra folder on your Snow Leopard system ? I can't find it

Thanks

[update]

I found it and done the copy. All is working now, thanks !

corsica said:
Hi,

one question : where is your extra folder on your Snow Leopard system ? I can't find it

Thanks

[update]

I found it and done the copy. All is working now, thanks !

Hi can you tell me where it is :) ?? Im new to osx

Can someone tell me where the folder extra is ? i cant find between my hidden folders...

Im now sure that i dont got the "extra" folder.
Can someone tell me how to get it :O. Plzz :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back