Contribute
Register

Install Guide/Discussion Thread for HP Probook 4530s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Install Guide/Discussion Thread for HP Probook 4530s

masso912 said:
Boot CD here.
Test it with a ORIGINAL installer of lion.
(Disable quiet boot flags from your hard drive's chimera/chamaleon first, or else will boot automatically in a wrong partition)
http://www.mediafire.com/?26oamzle7l318kh

Is that a boot cd for the installer? Or do you mean boot with 10.7.0 not 10.7.1?

blueking said:
@frantisek.nesveda I had one kernel panic waking from sleep. IDK what it was from though, I don't use iCal.
The funny thing is, I don't use it too. But I suspect there is a problem with Mail or Safari, because I think it happens only when I have Gmail opened in Safari and Safari offers me to add my Gmail account to Mail, iCal and iChat. I'll do some researching and maybe post with an update.

blueking said:
@jimmysticks that's so much better! Thank you! I will see if there is a way to leave it enabled without the applet, but for now that works. Thanks!

Not a problem! I tried looking and found nothing. Perhaps you will have better luck.

frantisek.nesveda said:
blueking said:
@frantisek.nesveda I had one kernel panic waking from sleep. IDK what it was from though, I don't use iCal.
The funny thing is, I don't use it too. But I suspect there is a problem with Mail or Safari, because I think it happens only when I have Gmail opened in Safari and Safari offers me to add my Gmail account to Mail, iCal and iChat. I'll do some researching and maybe post with an update.

Hm. Weird. Let us know what you find out.

@jimmysticks, yeah I don't see anything better. I wonder why they don't have it set to where it saves the settings, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to do.

EDIT:
@jimmysticks, how did you make that script? Also, please mention that you have to go into universal access and check "enable access for assistive devices" or it won't run properly.

blueking said:
masso912 said:
Boot CD here.
Test it with a ORIGINAL installer of lion.
(Disable quiet boot flags from your hard drive's chimera/chamaleon first, or else will boot automatically in a wrong partition)
http://www.mediafire.com/?26oamzle7l318kh

Is that a boot cd for the installer? Or do you mean boot with 10.7.0 not 10.7.1?
It's a bootCd that work with the vanilla installer burned in DVD with the internet method.

blueking said:
masso912 said:
Yes... but it will be very SLOW to upload...
And also, i have bought lion Osx. sincerely i don't want to post a DVD with all inside because it will support piracy.
It's not that hard to swap the DVDs... also now is possible to buy the USB with lion inside, which will be very useful.

If someone wants to make his own DVD with All included, is only for him.

In the guide i would say to write this step.

Code:
1) Burn Lion installation in a DVD (google it, or find it on internet).
2) Boot with 4530s bootCD.
3) Boot in the lion installer.

Does the boot cd have qe/ci, full trackpad, wifi etc?
In the installation, no.
It will boot up the installer with only the mandatory kext to boot.
In the installation will be enabled trackpad, keyboard and graphics.

After the install, if the user browse the cd, will see only a folder named "Post Install".
Inside there are steps to achieve full functionality. (audio, sleep, already patched AICPM, boot loader ecc...).

As soon as the Dsdt Autopatcher will be updated, i will include it in the bootCD.
Also, for now i have only the chameleon installer. As soon as TonyMacx86 will update chimera, i will include it in the installer.

NOTE:
I haven't deleted the "Atherosfix.kext" because it seems to fix the wifi problem (turning off/on) after sleep.

EDIT: I've credited you on the boot cd. boot with it and see for yourself =)
(It can be booted also by restoring it in a pen drive)

Now i'm going to drink somethin' at the bar, Yo-ho! LOL

masso912 said:
blueking said:
masso912 said:
Yes... but it will be very SLOW to upload...
And also, i have bought lion Osx. sincerely i don't want to post a DVD with all inside because it will support piracy.
It's not that hard to swap the DVDs... also now is possible to buy the USB with lion inside, which will be very useful.

If someone wants to make his own DVD with All included, is only for him.

In the guide i would say to write this step.

Code:
1) Burn Lion installation in a DVD (google it, or find it on internet).
2) Boot with 4530s bootCD.
3) Boot in the lion installer.

Does the boot cd have qe/ci, full trackpad, wifi etc?
In the installation, no.
It will boot up the installer with only the mandatory kext to boot.
In the installation will be enabled trackpad, keyboard and graphics.

After the install, if the user browse the cd, will see only a folder named "Post Install".
Inside there are steps to achieve full functionality. (audio, sleep, already patched AICPM, boot loader ecc...).

As soon as the Dsdt Autopatcher will be updated, i will include it in the bootCD.
Also, for now i have only the chameleon installer. As soon as TonyMacx86 will update chimera, i will include it in the installer.

NOTE:
I haven't deleted the "Atherosfix.kext" because it seems to fix the wifi problem (turning off/on) after sleep.

EDIT: I've credited you on the boot cd. boot with it and see for yourself =)
(It can be booted also by restoring it in a pen drive)

Now i'm going to drink somethin' at the bar, Yo-ho! LOL

Hm, I'll do some testing with the atherosfix.kext and see if you are right. I'll update the guide soon (I have to do a pretty big overhaul when the dsdt patcher comes out) and include your method. So just use the boot cd, swap it out for what exactly though? A lion install dvd, but like the installesd.dmg or what?

You all able to wake the laptop up after it goes to sleep?

I can't - nothing responds at all, so I have to hold down the power button until it shuts off and then reboot.

Every time I reboot I always get a message about an image being too old and to use ForceWake=y (but this happens on just about every boot, not just the times I try to set it to sleep and wake up.

I am running 10.0.0 (unpatched thus far), DSDT (custom patched), and the latest pack (1705-HPProBook4530s v2.1b3.zip).

I have removed AtherosFix, Sleepenabler, NullCPUPowerManagement, EvOreboot.

In addition to everything in the latest pack (Other Kexts) I have also installed the 2 kexts in the separate download named "Reinstaling 10.0.7 kexts" (IOACPIFamily and IOPCIFamily kexts)

Any ideas?

Things that work:
Some Function buttons work. I can control volume and I can put the laptop to sleep
Wi-Fi
Sound
LAN
USB
Shutting the lid will put the laptop to sleep
Hotcorners (activating screensaver, putting display to sleep)

Things that don't work:
Waking the laptop up from any mode of going to sleep (closing lid, Function F1, setting timeout in power management)
Wi-Fi button - it's always orange, never blue. It seems like I can toggle it on and off, but the LED never changes color or state, and sometimes if I toggle it it will forget my SSID and I have to reconfigure to connect again to my router)
Facetime (I know it's not supposed to until a later patch, but just wanted to say I can open it and even see the camera working, but after a short while it locks up the entire laptop and has to be cold reset)

Another thing of note - I figured hey in this thread there was a suggestion for speeding up the boot process by running "sudo kextcache -system-caches" - I thought I broke it good after that one. I tried booting several times after running that command and got the pop-up window about "You need to power off this computer" by holding down the button, etc. I was (thankfully) able to boot up into safe mode (-x on the boot line), ran the command again in safe mode, rebooted, and it now appears to be working again (although there was no noticeable boot speed increase).

Anywho, this has sure been a fun project, and I sure appreciate everyone who has contributed and tested thus far. I am sure hoping there might be a way for me to help and contribute as well.

Only a few minor annoyances left, gosh dang this is so close to perfect!

segen said:
You all able to wake the laptop up after it goes to sleep?

I can't - nothing responds at all, so I have to hold down the power button until it shuts off and then reboot.

Every time I reboot I always get a message about an image being too old and to use ForceWake=y (but this happens on just about every boot, not just the times I try to set it to sleep and wake up.

I am running 10.0.0 (unpatched thus far), DSDT (custom patched), and the latest pack (1705-HPProBook4530s v2.1b3.zip).

I have removed AtherosFix, Sleepenabler, NullCPUPowerManagement, EvOreboot.

In addition to everything in the latest pack (Other Kexts) I have also installed the 2 kexts in the separate download named "Reinstaling 10.0.7 kexts" (IOACPIFamily and IOPCIFamily kexts)

Any ideas?

Things that work:
Some Function buttons work. I can control volume and I can put the laptop to sleep
Wi-Fi
Sound
LAN
USB
Shutting the lid will put the laptop to sleep
Hotcorners (activating screensaver, putting display to sleep)

Things that don't work:
Waking the laptop up from any mode of going to sleep (closing lid, Function F1, setting timeout in power management)
Wi-Fi button - it's always orange, never blue. It seems like I can toggle it on and off, but the LED never changes color or state, and sometimes if I toggle it it will forget my SSID and I have to reconfigure to connect again to my router)
Facetime (I know it's not supposed to until a later patch, but just wanted to say I can open it and even see the camera working, but after a short while it locks up the entire laptop and has to be cold reset)

Another thing of note - I figured hey in this thread there was a suggestion for speeding up the boot process by running "sudo kextcache -system-caches" - I thought I broke it good after that one. I tried booting several times after running that command and got the pop-up window about "You need to power off this computer" by holding down the button, etc. I was (thankfully) able to boot up into safe mode (-x on the boot line), ran the command again in safe mode, rebooted, and it now appears to be working again (although there was no noticeable boot speed increase).

Anywho, this has sure been a fun project, and I sure appreciate everyone who has contributed and tested thus far. I am sure hoping there might be a way for me to help and contribute as well.

Only a few minor annoyances left, gosh dang this is so close to perfect!

The wifi button is the same for me. FaceTime shouldn't freeze. Don't use caches, since we have kexts in /Extra, it doesn't work. if you have a problem booting because of caches, boot with -f -v.

To wake from sleep, you need to put it to sleep, and let it have a minute or two. Once the light is flashing, 95% of the time, you can wake it up by hitting the power button.

Can you adjust brightness?

Don't use Forcewake=Yes and I would just not toggle the wifi button.

EDIT: IDK. Sleep actually only works sometimes for me. Or now I'm trying and it isn't working at all...

segen said:

Actually, you didn't read well.
That command only works if you install all the Kext in S/L/E. not in extra folder.
Using that in extra folder will cause only KP.

To speed up booting, do this.

1) Install chameleon with "Champlist" from Kext.com (update + install. don't touch smbios part)
2) Rename your com.apple.boot.plist in org.chamaleon.boot.plist (extra folder)
3) Include "UseKernelCache" "Yes" in the org.chamaleon.plist (you can add it with champ list)
4) Move the Kext. (first delete from extra then install it in S/L/E) (If it KP, reboot with flag "UseKernelCache=No"
5) Run the command for the cache
6) Reboot and see the speedup.

The new management of the cache in lion creates A LOT of problem if you use Extra extension. see details here.
Quoted from the one who patched lion speed stepper, and it fixed me a lot of KP at startup.

Once upon a time there was the idea of an vanilla osx installation, keeping all additional kext in /Extra or even in the hidden EFI partition.
It was never a good idea in my opinion as it caused trouble with certain kext and the additional kextcache. /S/L/E is the place for kernel extensions and there is already a kextcache used by the system, so why not use the common standard and remove one more cause for errors?

The only benefit I see in using /Extra/Extensions is a better overview of the additional kexts, but then again I'm only using the one essential + sound and ethernet kexts, that I would also install in /S/L/E just like any 3rd party driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back