Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Not Sure If Posting In Proper Place,

But Im Running A PC, Just Got Snow Leopard To Finally Work On Here And Set Up, But Now I Want To Put My Windows OS On The 2nd Partition I Made When Installing This, Do I Need To Revert The Changes I Made To My Bios To Do This? Thats Fine If True, But If Both OS's Are Installed Am I Going To Need To Switch Bios Settings Everytime I Wanna Switch? That Would Suck.. V.v

I didn't have too, I installed OSX made sure all was ok with it all the way up to 10.6.7.
I then unplugged my OSX drive and plugged in the new HDD and put Win 7 right on there. After I was done with that I just plugged everything in and it all worked fine with out changing any bios settings.

I know you are only using one drive so if you follow these directions you should be good to go; http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

Very excellent :) will this work for XP as well? I don't know where my 7 disk is :(
Thanks!

jmann996 said:
Very excellent :) will this work for XP as well? I don't know where my 7 disk is :(
Thanks!
I'm not sure with XP, I know Win 7 doesn't have the issues with the Bios being set up for OSX. Search and see if the bios settings can be ACHI for XP installation, Win 7 it can be.
If it can't I do believe there is a way to do It but I'm not sure. Check out Tony's guide, was that XP or Win 7?

Not sure what guide he has to be honest but I have XP ATM

i just drove like 40 mins to go steal the win7 cd from my mom lmfao,

so ill do it like the guide says, but am i to do this when i have os x installed first?

jmann996 said:

so ill do it like the guide says, but am i to do this when i have os x installed first?
You can do it either way. If you do it with OSX first your bios wil be set up already and Win 7 will work with those bios settings. If you do Win 7 first make sure you switch the bios to the OSX settings so Win 7 and OSX can work side by side.

eelhead said:
jmann996 said:

You can do it either way. If you do it with OSX first your bios wil be set up already and Win 7 will work with those bios settings. If you do Win 7 first make sure you switch the bios to the OSX settings so Win 7 and OSX can work side by side.

For me I had to switch from AHCi to IDE mode to do my install, but then after the install I just switched back to AHCI and everything was ok. This might be becuase I had transferred my WIn7 install dvd to a memory stick and slipstreamed the first service pack to it and installed from USB stick.

Either way, as Eelhead says Win 7 is happy working on a AHCI setting and is fine in use.

One thing to watch out for is the fact that if you are doing a dual partition on the same disk, installing windows makes the WIndows 7 partition "active". That means that the first time you boot back in to your system it'll look as if OSX has gone. DOn't panic it is still there! Just use iBoot CD to boot back into it and install the bootloader again - this resets OSX as active and gives you the choice once more on which OS to boot.....

As a final "gotcha" if the Win 7 you install does not already include SP1 then be aware that SP1 when you install later needs WIn 7 to be the active partition. That can be easily sorted though and then switched back afterwards.

So.....all in all installing on two separate disks is easiest, but installing into two partitions is still easy as long as you are aware of the active partition thing (!).

BTW, you can do all the same things with Windows XP - only catch is that for AHCI operation - to play nice with OSX - you have to set a windows registry key. Again, easy when you know how and google is your friend.

thanks you guys :) i have the mac os up now, gonna try to install windows next :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back