Contribute
Register

Will not to boot to Snow Leopard Install screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My Hardware:
Intel Core i5
MSI p55m-gd45 motherboard
RTL8185L Wireless card chipset
nVidia 9800 GTX

To try to boot the Snow Leopard Install screen, I've tried to use tonymacx86-p55BootCD.iso and tonymacx86-p55BootCDMSI.iso. When I use tonymacx86-p55BootCD.iso, I get what seems to be a kernel panic. It goes to the black screen with white text and says "Debugger called <panic>" followed by various numbers and letters. Then below all that it says "System Model Name iMac 1,1" or something along those lines. Below that, It just says the system uptime in nano seconds and nothing else happens.

When I use tonymacx86-p55BootCDMSI.iso, it scrolls through some white texts and then stops at "ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure". Then it just says "Still waiting for root device." over and over.

I have set my BIOS for ACHI and I'm not entirely sure why it's not booting. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

If you're using 8gb of ram, take out 4 for the install. Also, make sure AHCI is set in both areas you can set AHCI in the bios. If you're using an IDE CD/DVD drive the Boot CD method will not work. And use the blue Intel SATA ports- preferably ports 0-2 for the install. Hope this helps! ;)

Thanks a lot for speedy reply :). I'm a little confused by what you mean when you say set AHCI in both areas. Currently, I just have it set in my BIOS. I have a SATA DVD Drive, but I do not have any blue Intel SATA ports on my motherboard. However, I've tried my DVD drive on SATA ports 0-2 for both install CDs and I continue to have the same problem.

My rig has 4GBs of RAM, but it's two 2GB modules. Should I remove one module for the install or would that not make a difference? thanks for the help

Sorry- in my bios, there are 2 places to set AHCI mode. That's what I meant. You shouldn't have any problem with the 4gb of RAM.

Thanks for the help, I've managed to get SL installed. But now I'm having a new problem. When I reboot, it goes to the pc EFI screen, some text starts to scroll and then the screen goes black and the computer reboots. How should I go about fixing this problem?

Have you updated to 10.6.2? Reboots can occur with the original 10.0 kernel. P55s can't use it.

I just updated to 10.6.2 and it still will not boot by itself, I still need to use the boot CD. However, It does seem to get a little further in the process. Now, instead of rebooting, it just stops at the screen with the white text and shows system uptime in nano seconds and doesn't progress anymore after that.

Run the PC EFI 10.1 app again. You may have installed Chameleon to the wrong partition. Also, try replacing the boot file at the root with this one- it's the new RC4. Just make sure your DSDT.aml is in /Extra.

Public/AsereBLN-1.1.6.boot.zip

Also, here's a zip of files that work on the GD65- you can use them to compare with yours- I'm sure your board is similar.

MSI GD65 DSDT & EXTRAS
Public/DSDT-MSI%20GD65%20%2B%20Extras%20PMM.zip

Thanks for the help, I got it to boot by itself now.

The files for the GD-65 seem to work well with my motherboard, but I found a DSDT in your database for the GD-45. To install it, do i simply place it in the root of my Hard Drive? or does it go in the extra folder?

Also, is there a kext available that would make my wireless card work? Right now, when I use the GD-65 DSDT it identifies my wireless card as a dial-up modem (But when I use the GD-65 DSDT, my volume no longer works. On the GD-45 DSDT, my volume works but it doesn't see my wireless card at all. and restart doesn't work whereas it works with the gd-65 DSDT.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back