Contribute
Register

Can I use my old Hackintosh setup for iBoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
CPU
3.4 i7
Graphics
GeForce GTS 450
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

INTEL Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz S775

XFX GeForce 8400GS 256Mb

Have an old install but would like to get a new HDD and try iBoot.

Will it work?

The processor and graphics should be fine, but the P35 architecture is a bit old, and Snow Leopard might not support it. Your best bet would be to maybe borrow a friend who has the CD and try it out.

If the motherboard will finish the install, then you'll need to go here to configure your audio if Multibeast does not fix it:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1709

I guess I could replace the Mobo, don't really have time to be messing around with it.

What's a good easy to install Snow Leopard on Mobo with Firewire?

I suppose you mean having Snow Leopard recognize a firewire port on your motherboard?

As long as you have a working Snow Leopard install, there's a 99% chance that Snow Leopard will automatically recognize the firewire ports. I don't think I've heard of a situation where it didn't.

^I was planning on getting a R2 case myself as this is for my DAW.

Are there any easily compatible Mobos with FW800?

Sandy said:
^I was planning on getting a R2 case myself as this is for my DAW.

Are there any easily compatible Mobos with FW800?

All cases should be compatible, since if you have FW800 on the motherboard, it should come with an IO panel that will install to the case which will have the FW800 slot on it.

I know the case should be fine. Was just wondering if you could suggest a very compatible (IE not much work involved installing) Mobo with FW800?

Thanks for the help :)

Sandy said:
I know the case should be fine. Was just wondering if you could suggest a very compatible (IE not much work involved installing) Mobo with FW800?

Thanks for the help :)

Oh, don't worry. I would go with a Gigabyte board on this list that has FW800:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/dsdt-database-for-p55-motherboards.html
I'm pretty sure all the FW800 ports will work once you have Snow Leopard installed, no one ever had any problems with them.

Checked those Mobos out and none have FW800 only FW400. Guess I might be best with a PCI card but I've read it's hard to find one that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back