Contribute
Register

Almost there with p5qpt, q6600 and radeon 4850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
CPU
Intel Core I7 2600K
Graphics
Gigabyte GV-R577UD-1GD (Radeon HD 5770 Batombile)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
my first post. feeling a bit inferior at this point! i have done a lot of research and reading but i can't quite get over the top of the hill on this. here is my getup:

asus p5q pro turbo (0602_SLIC_OSX_SLI_shaumux bios) with q6600, 2 sata hdd, 2 ide optical drives, 4gb corsair ram and and asus model radeon 4850/1gb with the dual dvi ports (white and yellow). the info on my machine bio is probably better... anyway, i set my bios settings, as similarly as possible, to the recommended shaumux settings on found in this forum (i think) somewhere.

used iboot-supported with -x to load 10.6.3(retail). install went absolutely terrific! thanks to tonymacx86!

now for where i am stuck. :banghead: i assume that since i have to use the -x switch to get my machine to boot, SL wont mount any cds or usb sticks? what is the best way to get files (like multibeast) onto the SL drive if I can't mount devices? since i have no multibeast yet, I have no network and no boot from hdd either...

I tried injecting the multibeast files into the iboot-supported iso and re-burning the disc, asp per some forum posts i found elsewhere, but for some reason I cant get nero or any of 2 other cd burning programs to put out a cd that will boot. something to do with the hybrid file system i suppose...

maybe i am asking the wrong question though. i think my need to use the -x switch to boot is being caused by my video card. i have seen a few posts about that card being a pain, but i have also seen some that say it works. at any rate, should i instead be asking something like "how do i get away from using the -x switch"?

i have tried iboot-ati and iboot-ati3 which some people have apparently used to get past this graphics card's issues, but so far only iboot-supported with -x has worked for me.

sorry this is so long.

tia!

Well,

I figured out a few things. First I took out the 4850 and installed my trusty old Geforce 9600GT, flashed back to to the original (0602) bios for my motherboard, and stared a fresh load.

Once I got OSX loaded (10.6.3 retail dvd), I used multibeast w/ easybeast-supported and FakeSMC to get the machine bootable. Seems to have gone well so far.

Loaded the VoodooHDA 0.2.61 kext for audio

Can anyone tell me if this is the right kext for my audio? It seems to function, but the sound quality stinks... Is there a newer/updated/different kext for my audio chipset (VIA VT1708S)?

I am a bit confused on the network kext also. Does anyone know which is the best one to use for my motherboard (p5q pro turbo) (Atheros L1e chipset)?

Has anyone figured out how to make the Radeon 4850 dual dvi card work yet? I have tried pretty much everything I could find here and at insanelymac, but nothing has gotten me past 1024x768x32 yet...

Lastly, would any of my hardware benefit from making a dsdt file or is that pretty much a cosmetic/ease of update kind of thing?

Yes I am a noob. Sorry if these are ridiculous questions...

Thanks in advance!

I'm still new at this as well, but I've managed to get the system to boot up clean from the hard drive using a Radeon HD4850 (512MB). The only thing I did was load the 48xx kexts from MultiBeast, and I'm using the DVI-VGA adapter.

I've been able to get the display up to 1600x1200, but it's a bit distorted (spread wide) at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back