Zotac GTS250 eco
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Should be able to drop in as replacement for i5-650 or i7-860 in hackintosh?
http://www.techpowerup.com/123300/Intel ... icing.html

Text from link above:
Intel Releases Core i7 875K and Core i5 655K, Lures Overclockers with Pricing
Intel today rolled out two new high-performance processors aimed at the enthusiast community, which is sure to please users of LGA1156 platform. The release includes the quad-core Core i7 875K, and dual-core Core i5 655K. Based on the 45 nm Lynnfield die, the Core i7 875K is clocked at 2.93 GHz, with a maximum Turbo Boost speed of 3.60 GHz. While having identical clock speeds to the Core i7 870, the 875K comes with a fully unlocked BClk multiplier, which is featured in Extreme Edition processors.

The unlocked multiplier helps with overclocking. Also featured is that the core and DRAM ratios are unlocked so memory bus speeds can be kept independent of the core speed to an extant. The processor retains the TDP rating of 95W, which other Lynnfield-based processors have. It has a monolithic die which houses the processor and northbridge, dual-channel DDR3 memory controller, and PCI-Express root complex. Intel HyperThreading Technology enables 8 logical CPUs for the OS to deal with.

The second processor in the offering is the Core i5 655K. This processor is identical in core clock speeds to the Core i5 650. It has a default clock speed of 3.20 GHz, with maximum Turbo Boost speed of 3.46 GHz. The unlocked BClk multiplier and memory ratio benefits overclocking. Based on the 32 nm Clarkdale die, the Core i5 655K has a 45 nm northbridge die which houses the dual-channel DDR3 memory controller, embedded graphics processor, and PCI-Express root complex. HyperThreading enables 4 logical CPUs for the OS to deal with. The IGP continues to be clocked at 733 MHz.

Intel set surprisingly competitive prices for these processors. The Core i7 875K is priced much lower than the Core i7 870. The i7 875K is priced at US $342, even as the i7 870 is priced over $550. The i5 655K is priced at $216, which is a slight premium over the i5 650 which goes for $190. Perhaps this pricing comes as highly competitive to AMD's offerings at those price-points, which include the overclocker-friendly Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, and Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.

Update: i7-875K is $299 after rebate at Tiger Direct, HOWEVER: they warn:
Note: A CPU cooling fan is not included with this CPU. In order to safeguard your warranty and achieve optimum performance we recommend purchasing a new compatible cooling fan.

Not sure if this is true of all i7-875Ks or just this discounted one at Tiger.

carbine said:
Update: i7-875K is $299 after rebate at Tiger Direct, HOWEVER: they warn:
Note: A CPU cooling fan is not included with this CPU. In order to safeguard your warranty and achieve optimum performance we recommend purchasing a new compatible cooling fan.

Not sure if this is true of all i7-875Ks or just this discounted one at Tiger.
MicroCenter has it boxed for $299.99.

Excellent. I wonder if that includes a fan? The TigerDirect listing shows a nice Intel box as well; it just warns that the box does not include a fan.

Great Deal then as the NewEgg listing also says: Cooling device not included - Processor Only

Just checked that MicroCenter link and it contradicts itself. At the bottom in the specs it says the fan is included:

Included Accessories: Intel® designed thermal solution (Fan, Heatsink)

but in the text above it says in bold: Heatsink and fan NOT included.

Anyway, an OEM (without HSF) is better than the Boxed (with HSF), as you won't be paying about $10 for a junk piece of aluminum (which you'll either throw away, or keep in a drawer)...

Worse yet, you might be tempted to use it ;)

Lnx2Mac said:
Anyway, an OEM (without HSF) is better than the Boxed (with HSF), as you won't be paying about $10 for a junk piece of aluminum (which you'll either throw away, or keep in a drawer)...

Worse yet, you might be tempted to use it

Heh. Good points. Thinking about trying one of these. As I am one of the guilty ones still using the stock fan on my 860, which really is not so bad if you're not overclocking, I'll definitely have go for a good cooler. Still trying to figure out the best way to go there. I've heard Mugen-2 and Noctua are good.

Good review: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/z ... rs-review/

Their bottom line: KitGuru says: Core i5-655k is a ‘fun’ chip, we had so much fun overclocking it. The Core i7-875k is probably the best value for money processor Intel have released this decade. Crank it !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back