Graphics
GTX 570
I have been working on my first hackintosh project with thefollowing hardware:

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
Sapphire ATI Radeon 4850 521MB
1 GB Sata
4 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 2.8 Quad Core 1156

I have tried the recommended Boot CD Method several times but still have been unsuccessful at getting Snow Leopard to start from my hard drive. Of course I am having to boot in safety mode (-x) each time.

I also have issues with the Sapphire 4850 (which was supposed to be compatible as per the HCL for Snow Leopard)

I have noticed in Tony's instructions that the process, beyond the installation medium/method is different.

The USB method describes the following:

Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal
Type: sudo rm /Volumes/InstallDrive/mach_kernel and type your password. (this deletes the stock Kernel)
Type: sudo rm /Volumes/InstallDrive/boot and type your password. (this deletes the boot file installed from PC EFI 10.1)
Close Terminal.
Set up Windows as shown in the photo below.
Click and drag boot, DSDT.aml, and Extra from tonymacx86-snowleopard to InstallDrive. (boot will become invisible when moved to Snow Leopard)
Open Qoopz Voodoo kernel for 10.6.0 & 10.6.1 folder.
Drag mach_kernel to InstallDrive.

The DVD install method differs:

Boot back into tonymacx86-P55BootCD
Select Snow Leopard drive.
Complete OS X Setup Routine.
When you get to the desktop, open tonymacx86-P55BootCD in finder.
Navigate to tonymacx86-snowleopard folder.
Open Apps and open PC EFI 10.1
Select Snow Leopard and click Continue.
Click Install, and then type your password.
Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal
Type: sudo rm /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/boot and type your password. (this deletes the boot file installed from PC EFI 10.1)
Close Terminal.
Open tonymacx86-snowleopard
Click and drag boot, DSDT.aml, and Extra from tonymacx86-snowleopard to Snow Leopard. NOTE: Check the DSDT Database to find a system-specific DSDT.aml for your motherboard.

My question is whether I should be replacing the kernel as well as the boot file?

Its clear that Tony needed to change kernels to get his UD2 to work but he didnt say that in the DVD install method.

Additionally I have seen tony suggest that installing Chameleon and upgrading to SL 10.6.2 will fix the issue.

There is also a custom DSTD.ami file for the UD2...what do I do with it? Just put it in the root of the hard drive?

Any advice on the Sapphire Radeon 4850 is also appreciate as it looks like there is no certain definitive method for making it fully functional.

Any help here is much appreciated.

Brett

Well, to answer your question, in the Boot CD method, the mach_kernel (Qoopz) is already on the Boot CD, so you don't have to manually add it. There's no InstallDrive to create- the work has been done by using the Boot CD & Retail DVD. And also, you'll never have to use it if you immediately update to 10.6.2, because your processor will be identified (used by real iMacs).

There are a few threads about your graphics card- maybe someone can chime in about that. I've got nVidia. :D

I went back to the DVD Install method and I'm trying to work through your full guide up to the 10.6.2 update. I was thinking that perhaps by stopping at 10.6.0 that I was creating much of my own problems. I'm hoping at least.

If I am unsuccessful then I have a couple of questions.

One how do I pause or capture the point in the loading process (code) so I can see where the problems are?

Second, Do I need the custom DSDT file for my board (Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2)

Lastly if these problems are related to the Sapphire 4850 video card then are people having better..easier times with the nvidia cards? If so what has the most success and the best performance?

I went back...did a complete, fresh install all the way to the 10.6.2 update.

It worked.

One suggestion might be to add some bright red hints in the guide that say " Keep going! "

I had to reboot to get my ethernet to work but that was not a problem.

Sadly I messed the whole install up by trying to fix the Sapphire 4850HD. I edited the ATI4800Controller.kext as recommended here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181405 and now can't get it to boot in either normal or safe mode. The display gives an "out of range" message which I assume means its trying to display at an unsupported resolution.

Still looking for suggestions on the graphics card if you have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back