1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Performa
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey All,

Well, my build is up and running (mostly), but I'm still having a few niggling issues:

1. Screen Flickering
Every now and then when I boot into my HDD, my screen flickers and the boot hangs. Rebooting solves the issue, but what could be a more permanent fix?

2. Keyboard Problems
I recently upgraded to an SSD (Adata S510 120 GB). The SSD is partitioned into two 60 GB partitions (one for Win7, one for OS X Lion), and I also have a second 2 TB HDD which I'm using to hold large files for both operating systems so I don't clog up the SSD (The 2 TB HDD is partitioned into 1.5 TB for OS X and 500 GB for Win7). The 2 TB HDD is what I was originally running OS X off of before I purchased the SSD.

When I migrated from the HDD to the SDD, I used CarbonCopyCloner to clone my HDD straight to my SSD. The clone went off without a hitch. However, when I boot from the SSD, the keyboard will work fine for one boot, but when I reboot from the SSD, the keyboard no longer works at startup. The only solution I've found is to run the IOUSBFamilyRollback option in MultiBeast and reboot. It happens like this:

1. Boot into SSD
2. Keyboard works fine
3. Reboot into SSD
4. Keyboard no longer works
5. Boot into HDD, install IOUSBFamily Rollback to SSD using MultiBeast 4.6.1
6. Go to Step 1, rinse and repeat

Does anyone have a solution for this?

3. Slow Boot with SSD
As a side note, I notice very little performance increase booting from the new SSD as compared to the HDD. The Finder starts up really quickly when booting from the SSD, but other than that, boot times are about the same. Contrast this with booting into Win7 from the SSD, which is almost instantaneous.

My build:
GA-Z68XP-UD3 f10
Intel i5 3750K Ivy Bridge
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850
HDD, SDD as mentioned above
8 GB Patriot RAM

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:

I was also having an issue with Chimera not opening the correct boot volume by default (i.e. I wanted it to default to the SDD but it still defaulted to the HDD, even after I modified boot flags in the plist file). Plugging the SSD into SATA slot 1 on the mobo solved this (at the time, the HDD was in slot 1 and the SDD was in slot 2). With the SSD in slot 1, Chimera reads the boot settings from the SSD first and defaults to the SSD as the boot volume.

Also, the keyboard issue is still intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Could this be a kernel cache issue (e.g., the OS loads the old faulty kext upon reboot because the old faulty kext is what was stored in the kernel cache)? If so, why does the boot from my HDD never have problems with the keyboard (even though when I moved from the HDD to the SSD, I used an exact clone?)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back