Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello

So I have had a Hackintosh for about a year now, and know at least a decent amount about the programs. With the new Sandy Bridge-E CPU's and Radeon 7000 series GPU's coming out, I want to get a new upgrade early next year.

I wanted to try to 1) Use 2 GPU's to run 3+ monitors separately rather than stretch the screen across all three, and/or 2) run Eyefinity on the Mac OS X with the AMD GPU and just stretch the resolution.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I've seen Eyefinity on a Hackintosh already, I'm just not sure how it's done. Also, for using two GPU's, do I need specific cards from the same company(i.e. NIVIDIA and AMD), or can I freely chose a Radeon 7000 card and a lower end NIVIDIA card?

Any help would be nice, I just want to know what I'm doing before I do it.

Thanks.

I am looking into this myself. I searched online and OSX does support multiple GPU's. This was done on a MacPro though. They used multiple combinations.
HD5770 with a Quadra 4000.
GTX 285/470 with a Quadra 4000.
GT120 with a Quadra 4000.

The way this was done from what I understand is that all the monitors are plugged into one card and then the second was used as a SLAVE to drive the GPU accelerated programs. DaVinci Resolve, Premiere PRO, etc.....

Let me know if you find any assistance or figure this out from another source. I will look as well and let you know.

fencingdude101 said:
Hello

So I have had a Hackintosh for about a year now, and know at least a decent amount about the programs. With the new Sandy Bridge-E CPU's and Radeon 7000 series GPU's coming out, I want to get a new upgrade early next year.

I wanted to try to 1) Use 2 GPU's to run 3+ monitors separately rather than stretch the screen across all three, and/or 2) run Eyefinity on the Mac OS X with the AMD GPU and just stretch the resolution.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I've seen Eyefinity on a Hackintosh already, I'm just not sure how it's done. Also, for using two GPU's, do I need specific cards from the same company(i.e. NIVIDIA and AMD), or can I freely chose a Radeon 7000 card and a lower end NIVIDIA card?

Thanks.

It's too early to calculate. New products for Apple +/- 6 months

fencingdude101 said:
Hello

Thanks.

I can't speak about the 7000 series cards, obviously, but I am currently running a 6850 and 6870 in Crossfire. OS X (10.7.2) detected both cards, loading up the necessary frame buffers and whatnot. They work flawlessly for me. I had been using them to drive three monitors, which worked quite well. In OS X though, Eyefinity doesn't work obviously, so the three monitors are treated independently and you won't be able to run games, even those supporting Eyefinity, across all three. Also note that OS X can't harness the extra power that your primary GPU would gain running them in Crossfire (or SLI). OS X will see them as two independent GPUs.

Hope that helps.

I am having trouble getting two cards to work in my hackintosh. Whenever I have both cards installed I get a kernel panic when booting. I'm trying to run a GeForce gtx 285 and GT220 at the same time. Each one will work fine on it's own, but not when installed together.

My goal with this computer was to use it exclusively for Davinci Resolve, and these are the two graphics cards suggested by Blackmagic.

Do I have to select something specific in Multibeast to get this to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back