Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am looking at building my first hackintosh and I'm looking for some buying advice. I am looking at the i5 processors but want to know which of those versions would be best. I see I can get a i5-760 for the same price as a i5-2500. Is there going to be much speed differance between then and would I have to do anything different in installation of OS. I am looking at an Asus motherboard and which one would be decided by which processor, I was looking between a P55 and P67. The other hardware I have decided on is 4 gigs of G skill ram, Sapphire 5770, WD 500gig. I already have a corsair 750W PS and dvd drive. So basiclly would there be much speed advantage to hassel work between the i5-760 P55 verses i5-2500 P67.

Thank you for your advice, and thank you to this site and all of its help it is GREAT!

The main difference is P67=socket 1155 sandy bridge versus P55 socket 1156. Sandy bridge is new, and it is coming along as some members are getting it working with vanilla build. I suggest you read the sandy bridge forum and get the same spec and follow that guide.

If you are opt to go with P55, Asus and gigabyte boards now have DSDT available in this forum.

Here's a sandy bridge success build.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=16277

I read some about the Sandy bridge on here, I just didn't know if there would be much speed differance between them. It seems like the Snady bridge would be faster but I didn't know if it would be a noticeable jump or if it would be worth it. Otherwise I would just go with the P55 because like you said it has a DSDT available and it would be easier.

That would be a decision you have to make. In my personal opinion, Sandy Bridge is the next platform but it all depends on how fast it can be adopted and fully supported on OSX is on the mercy of the hackintosh community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back