Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok so ive been running for 2 days almost now... and while installing loads of my audio programs and design software, almost every time i install a program that requires a "restart" at the end, my hard disk boot priority gets switched in the bios upon restart.

I have to manually change it back to my hd for it to boot up again. Is there a way to prevent this? should i run the multibeast system utilites before i restart? its nothing major but it gets quite annoying.

The other problem i see is that i did that geekbench trial test thing (im still new to all this) and my score is 7770... all of my numbers look pretty close to other users except for the memory. it is at 3394 performance with 4.00 GB 1064 MHz DDR3 ram. is that normal? i sort of expected it to be abit higher.

I think most other people around here have their memory running at at least 1333MHz and are using the 64-bit version of Geekbench, which scores higher.

My memory score is 5997 @ 1600MHz (Geekbench Score: 9238) using Geekbench 64-bit.

Well im still a bit confused. I ran geekbench on my friends mac pro late 2009 model with the 32 bit version of geekbench and he got 8400 score with a ton of apps open and stuff.

It seems that my memory is running sufficiently lower than other peoples and I dont know why. I have an i7 860 processor and 4g of memory. he only had 3g of memory and whatever processor they used in 09.

Is something maybe configured wrong? I am not using a dsdt because i am noob to this stuff and dont know how to make my own, and since no one has a pre made dsdt for the evga p55 sli then im sorta out of luck with that.

djzilos said:
Well im still a bit confused. I ran geekbench on my friends mac pro late 2009 model with the 32 bit version of geekbench and he got 8400 score with a ton of apps open and stuff.

It seems that my memory is running sufficiently lower than other peoples and I dont know why. I have an i7 860 processor and 4g of memory. he only had 3g of memory and whatever processor they used in 09.

Is something maybe configured wrong? I am not using a dsdt because i am noob to this stuff and dont know how to make my own, and since no one has a pre made dsdt for the evga p55 sli then im sorta out of luck with that.

szuszak posted the DSDT for his/your board here.
Maybe he can also help you with your BIOS settings.

Thanks ill try it later but first a few things.

It says i do not have required permissions to view the attachment :eek:

also will this screw up any software or anything installed on the computer?

Last thing is i just noticed I cant even run the 64bit version of geekbench because it says its not supported on this mac...

Like i said im noob at this :D but i will lead 2 of my other friends to build one of these if i can get everything running perfect! thanks for the help :)

djzilos said:
Thanks ill try it later but first a few things.

It says i do not have required permissions to view the attachment :eek:

That's something annoying about this forum; it doesn't keep you logged in. Just re-login.

djzilos said:
also will this screw up any software or anything installed on the computer?

No, it won't.

djzilos said:
Last thing is i just noticed I cant even run the 64bit version of geekbench because it says its not supported on this mac...

Try again after installing using the DSDT following Tony's guide.

ok gonna try it after i get back from work but after quickly reading that thread from szusak it seems like there are still some issues with his setup, while mine seems to be working flawlessly, rather than the slight performance drop compared to the rest of you.

Audio works fine, ethernet works great, i dont want to lose that. My last question would be could i use multibeast -> Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist -> 64-bit Apple Boot Screen ?

I think when i did it i used the 32-bit Apple Boot Screen. The only thing is for the 64 bit one it says to ONLY install if using a patched dsdt. If i use it this way without a dsdt will it screw up my whole setup? :p last question for now really! :D

and thanks for being so helpful btw :)

djzilos said:
ok gonna try it after i get back from work but after quickly reading that thread from szusak it seems like there are still some issues with his setup, while mine seems to be working flawlessly, rather than the slight performance drop compared to the rest of you.

Audio works fine, ethernet works great, i dont want to lose that. My last question would be could i use multibeast -> Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist -> 64-bit Apple Boot Screen ?

I think when i did it i used the 32-bit Apple Boot Screen. The only thing is for the 64 bit one it says to ONLY install if using a patched dsdt. If i use it this way without a dsdt will it screw up my whole setup? :p last question for now really! :D

and thanks for being so helpful btw :)

Do you remember what your RAM was rated as when you bought it (it should specify on the RAM itself)? 1066, 1333, 1600?

You should go into your BIOS and optimize things a bit. Set your RAM frequency and timings to the correct settings, if you know what they are.

You don't have to use the plist from MB to boot 64 bit. When you are at the Chameleon boot screen on your OS X partition type: arch=x64 and that should boot your kernel in 64 bit mode, works for me. Then run 64 bit gb.

1064 i believe.

how do u have enough time to type that into the boot screen? For me it is literally up for less than 1 second then it goes into the apple logo and right into SL.

Will the MB boot plist work if i do it for the 64 bit without screwing up my whole system? I mean it just changes the option to boot into 32 or 64 bit right?

If i remember correctly on a macbook there is a way to boot up in 32 and 64 bit mode so it shouldnt really affect my programs or anything installed if i change the boot plist to 64 bit... i hope...

djzilos said:
1064 i believe.

how do u have enough time to type that into the boot screen? For me it is literally up for less than 1 second then it goes into the apple logo and right into SL.

Will the MB boot plist work if i do it for the 64 bit without screwing up my whole system? I mean it just changes the option to boot into 32 or 64 bit right?

If i remember correctly on a macbook there is a way to boot up in 32 and 64 bit mode so it shouldnt really affect my programs or anything installed if i change the boot plist to 64 bit... i hope...

You should be able to hit any key to stop the auto boot, you just have to be quick! You could also just edit the plist directly, works great if you want to boot 64 bit permanently. It's in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, drag it to your desktop to edit it then when you're done just drag it back. You can change arch=i386 to arch=x64, you can change Timeout to something longer (which gives you more time when booting to enter commands). I suggested the boot string for 64 bit so you could test it first and make sure the kexts you have are all 64 bit compatible. If something breaks all you have to do then is reboot with no flags!

The only reason I wouldn't use MB is if you already have edits to your plist. Plus editing it yourself teaches you more about your system, instead of holding your hand like Windows does. :D

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back