Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just purchased a 560 Ti video card. Now my Lion won't boot. It gets to through the verbose and just before it would normally launch with my 260 gtx card it freezes. Anyone know of any easy tutorials or examples how to get this to work? I've tried three different ones so far and no luck getting it to boot. I only use xcode on the mac so I don't need it to do more than boot.

careyr69 said:
I just purchased a 560 Ti video card. Now my Lion won't boot. It gets to through the verbose and just before it would normally launch with my 260 gtx card it freezes. Anyone know of any easy tutorials or examples how to get this to work? I've tried three different ones so far and no luck getting it to boot. I only use xcode on the mac so I don't need it to do more than boot.

The GTX 5xx cards are natively supported. If you have altered / foreign kexts loaded or installed, it may be causing a conflict.

Try removing any kexts that are not "Vanilla". Some of these include ATY_Init.kext, NVEnabler, and altered NVDGAFHal kexts.

On my Dell XPS 8300, on a clean install of Lion, my GTX 550Ti is natively supported. Full resolution, QE/CI during the install process, and afterward, with no modifications at all.

Try attempting a Full, clean install, after you do a clone of your working setup, see if that works. If not, you can follow the guide on insanelymac.com for adding your device ID to the NVGADFHal100.kext, and install ATY_Init to enable it, if the ID string doesnt do it for you.

Hope this helps ..

~~Grave

Gravewyrm said:
careyr69 said:

The GTX 5xx cards are natively supported. If you have altered / foreign kexts loaded or installed, it may be causing a conflict.

Try removing any kexts that are not "Vanilla". Some of these include ATY_Init.kext, NVEnabler, and altered NVDGAFHal kexts.

On my Dell XPS 8300, on a clean install of Lion, my GTX 550Ti is natively supported. Full resolution, QE/CI during the install process, and afterward, with no modifications at all.

Try attempting a Full, clean install, after you do a clone of your working setup, see if that works. If not, you can follow the guide on insanelymac.com for adding your device ID to the NVGADFHal100.kext, and install ATY_Init to enable it, if the ID string doesnt do it for you.

Hope this helps ..

~~Grave

Unfortunately this is not true. I just did a fresh install using the latest Chameleon Boot loader, RC5 r1153? And I cannot boot or do anything with my 560 installed. I have to do the install with my old 260 gtx. Even after the install I cannot get it to boot with the 560 ti in any slot or by itself. It cannot have power or my system won't boot past the apple logo.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Have you tried using the boot flag: ncpi=0x2000

Mine would hang on booting up but if you add that at the boot prompt it may fix your problem - keep plugging away at it I have a 560TI and it is working 100% :)

I finally got it to work after 14 installs. I will try the boot flag next time but hadn't found that yet. Here is what I did incase anyone has trouble.

1. used old supported card to boot.
2. unplugged power from second card (560 actually primary slot), this has always given me hangs during install
3. Boot from USB stick, install to hard drive
4 Reboot, install chamelion RC5 r1174 (?), used extras from insane tutorial for sandy bridge
5. Modified NVDAGF100Hal.kext by adding my line to end of existing line
6. Installed Kext with kextbeast
7. repaired permission and cache with multibeast
8. Shutdown. Add power back to original card, 560
9. Worked. I did have a modify of the dsdt and the boot.plist in there as well.

Now I don't have to swap cards, power and other stuff when going from win 7 to mac. However, I still only have two monitors of the four working. You would think Mac being such a "graphics" based system would recognize two videos cards and four monitors. But reason 12,345 Mac is so far behind PC in hardware.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back