9800 GTS 1 GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Folks,

Looking for some help with this screen flickering issue I can't seem to resolve. I'll start by saying I had a very stable system using the older version of iBoot and multibeast using Snow Leopard Retail. Worked fine right up until version 10.6.6 at which point the screen began to flicker and then system would freeze (usually within about 1 minute from boot up) While I was tinkering around I decided to erase and reinstall using the newest versions of iBoot(2.6) and multibeast(3.1). At this point I am running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and still having the screen flickering issue. Everything works fine with safe boot. I faintly remember having this issue in the past but cannot for the life of me remember what I did to resolve it... although I do remember the resolution is simple, probably removing some kext or something.

Running:
GateWay P7803h
9800 GTS 1 GB
T7350 Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X 10.6.4
iBoot 2.6
MultiBeast 3.1 (Easybeast and Nvenabler and Voodoo PS2 for trackpad)

I have tried changing color profile, deleting nvenabler and using the 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes' on boot up but i get the same behavior. I cannot remmeber if a customer graphics kext or removing a power kext or some such thing resolved the issue in the past.. anyways i am not sure where to go from here and any help would be appreciated. Is there anyway to track down the problem extension so I can begin isolating?

I tinkered a bit more and here is where i'm at.

1. Removed nvenabler.kext system is more stable. I assume it is using some generic driver as I am getting 1280X800 and in system profiler it is listed as GPU w/32 MB vRam. (But no flicker or freezing)

2. Tried booting with 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes' switch that I read somewhere in this fourm which resulted in the old behavior of freezing/flickering and gfx corruption.

3. With stable system I updated by combo update to 10.6.6, used USB rollback and repaired permissions/caches with multibeast.

4. Enabled Voodoo 2.7.2 which has brought audio working fine.

I guess i am further forward as I know now the issue was definately gfx kext, but I don't know how to get my 9800 GTS recognized and working with a compatible driver. Any suggestions?

Well I managed to get everything working, figureed i'd post my fix just in case someone with a similair system needs help with the same issue.

I found this link which shows how to use graphics strings only so SL can recognize your gxf card. This post (i'll share the link below) seems to deal with mostly the 8000 series nvidia cards and up. So if you can't get gfx working correctly, scrap all the drivers/injectors/enablers you've installed and try this method, it worked for me. Fairly simple and very clear instructions provided, mostly just copy and paste...

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... 509&page=1

**Just a head's up, for some reason this would not open in internet explorer, you may have to disable plug ins or something, works in safari fine (if using Mac OS X you may need to disable safari plugins to view the website.)

Issue resolved.

In case someone else has this exact notebook I wanted to share this info. The reason for all my issues was a bios update I had done sometime before all my graphics corruption began. I had updated the bios to 9c.25 (latest for this notebook) I recently remembered this and decided to flash it back to 9C.23 and reinstall Mac OS X, voila! Issue resolved everything is working perfectly with a general Easyboot install of multibeast, using just graphics enabler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back