Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello.
I've been eying getting a Mac for a while now, but the price tag has been holding me back. Luckily I found this site, so hopefully my previous experience of building a windows PC can help me here.

I like the Sandy Bridge CustoMac Build #3. However, I was hoping to use a few of my old components to help me save a few bucks.

Here's what I already have:
1. Antec 300 case
2. Corsair vx550w power supply
3. Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850 graphics card

Then I plan on using the rest of this build's recommended components.
4. Sony Optiarc optical drive
5. Intel Core i5-2500K processor
6. Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 motherboard
7. Corsair Vengence Blu 1600Mhz DDR3 (8GB) ram

For my hard drive, I am debating between the Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148697) and the OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227726). I like the idea of a solid state drive, but am wondering if 120GB will be enough, especially if I decide to dual boot windows.

So basically I am wondering if everything in this build is compatible and will run smoothly, or if there is anything I am missing. I am assuming that the heat sink for the CPU is my own personal preference, right?

Thanks in advance for all your assistance. Excellent site.

That case could fit a full size ATX motherboard, so you might consider the UD3H board if you envisage ever needing more PCIe slots.

The stock cooler you get with the processor should be fine unless you overclock or want to be extra cautious. In order to fit an aftermarket cooler and fan, I found the low profile version of the Corsair RAM allowed more room for this.

I have the OCZ Agility 3 120GB you suggest, which works great (although some say other brands are more reliable). There would be enough room to install Windows as well, but you'd need an HDD for storage also (or NAS/external storage as I intend to use). I'm actually going to install Windows on a second, smaller SSD, which is slightly easier to achieve, then I'm going to install Linux as well as OS X on the larger SSD. So, for an easier time, you might want a second OS drive.

For the optical drive, people say the 72xx Sony drives are 100% compatible, so check the model number. That said, I've also seen people say they've never had an issue with non-Sony/Pioneer drives.

Other than that, everything looks good to my n00bly-trained eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back