Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, I searched around for this but couldn't find anything. I've got an ASUS P9X79 Deluxe board with the LGA2011 12core 3.32 CPU, 16 gig RAM, and .5 tb in SSDs. Also have dual ATI 6800s (4 monitors).

I've got everything working just great in OSX 10.6.8, all except the onboard audio which is a Realtek ALC898. I've tried many different ways to get it working, but every time I have the component enabled in BIOS I get a kernel dump on boot. This is both with the Realtek kext and Universal. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas? I see the new Multi-Beast is ready for Lion, which actually includes some Realtek updates, so I'm not sure if I should just wait for Lion and try it, or to just buy a new sound card that will work. I was going to try the new Multi-Beast on my 10.6.8 install, but it said "only" 10.7 so I didn't try.

Any ideas? I'm totally fine with buying a new sound card (PCIe only tho) if someone has a recommendation. I see Creative has a USB-based sound card which would be fine as long as it is super-high quality. Even though I am loath to buy any more Creative products.

Thanks!!

Pretty sure he set up separate dsdt's for on board audio and hdmi audio for all 3-4 of the boards he was working on. Many of the boards used alc898, so you still might be able to find a solution in there somewhere.

Was a great resource, shame he isn't here anymore.

Phaedin said:
Pretty sure he set up separate dsdt's for on board audio and hdmi audio for all 3-4 of the boards he was working on. Many of the boards used alc898, so you still might be able to find a solution in there somewhere.

Ah, OK - good to know. I'll keep digging, thanks! I guess I'll have to dig into the core dump and see if I can decipher what's happening. Thanks for the info!
t

Phaedin said:

P.S. - I very well may just get something like this and disable the realtek. The less I have to hack about with drivers the better. The only thing I'm using this audio for is iTunes and OS sounds... I've got AudioBox and M-Audio cards/usb for "real" music apps so this should be plenty. Anyone else with suggestions for external USB solutions please feel free to shout.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-NA-_-NA

I have the same setup. How did you get to install 10.6.8.... Everytime i try my computer freezes at apple logo... Please help
build
i7 3930
asus p9x79 deluxe
4 gig of ram
1tb sata hd
gtx 580 video card

This is what I have been told:

The ASUS board needs a modded BIOS for native power management, speed stepper kext or NullAICPUPM kext to prevent kernel panic on boot.

I'm confused myself, and am wondering whether the P9X79 Deluxe is a good choice or not.

Edit: found a DSDT solution for audio issues, will post when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back