Contribute
Register

What can of worms would I open **IF**.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomR

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I currently have what appears to be a perfectly good running CustoMac desktop i7 2600K. What would happen if I replace the 2600K CPU with an i7 2700K? I would like to think "in theory" it should work fine - same architecture, just slightly faster clock speed.

I wanted to buy the 2700K originally...MicroCenter's inventory system said they had 1 in stock, but they could not find it when push came to shove. So I walked out the door with the 2600K.

2 days later, they found the 2700K... :)

Any thoughts as to if it should work after the CPU swap? Or will I have to start over from scratch? Don't get me wrong, it won't take me all that long to re-install Lion via UniBeast/MB. But of course, if I don't have to....

Thanks for any insights you could share!

stick with the 2600k, the 2700k isnt worth it

I did take the plunge & get the 2700K after all - appreciate all the feedback. I did have a bit of a problem initially, as I was getting absolutely nothing on my display during POST and beyond. It had been running fine with the 2600K with my 27" cinema display via mini display port. But downstairs where I was doing my build, I was using DVI.

So I removed my video card, cleared the BIOS via the mobo jumper, re-installed my video card, and voila...I now had video. Reset all my BIOS settings to previous and I've been running like a champ ever since.

Now... I gotta start reading about how to overclock. :headbang:

If anyone has a link they could share to a really good "how to" on overclocking, I'd appreciate for sure!

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back