Graphics
XFX HD6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
After spending 2 weeks basically ignoring school and reading up on how to build a hackintosh on this forum, I got really inspired by your stories and experiences.
So now really want to build my own hackintosh! I have never done a complete build before, just the occasional card swap, so it will be interesting how this works out. I’m coming from a ten year old Dell with Windows XP3 on it, and only just got to know Windows 7 a little. I haven’t really worked with Macs before other than a bit of web surfing and simple games, so things like kexts and DSDT is still a little vague to me.
So yes, I’m starting at a pretty low level knowledge-wise and I’m probably in waaay over my head. But like I said, I read up on a lot these past few weeks and I can be patient at times, so I think it’ll be OK :p

I think the primary goal is to make everything work with Windows 7 first, and then put Snow Leopard on a second HD.
I gathered all kinds of info on what hardware other people used, and chose the ones best suited to my needs. I’d like to use the computer for music recording and production, and a little bit of gaming.
This is what I came up with:

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3 (because of the Realtek 889 driver, which is supposed to be better)
Intel i7 2600k (because why not? :p Sandy Bridge is a bit more future proof?)
Scythe Mugen 2 (best rated and best available)
Scythe Chouriki 2 650W (is said to be quiet and efficient)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB1600MHz CL9 (best rated and cheap)
OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (to put the OS on, either Win7 or SL)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB (fast and cheap, just for data)
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E (compatible with SL, and cheaper than 5870)
Sony Optiarc AD-7261S silver (because it suits the case)
Iiyama ProLite E2210HDS-B1 (good budget screen)

So all of that should be able to fit into this:
Lian Li PC-A05N

lian-li-pc-a05n-silver.jpg

So all of these components should work with Windows 7 without any problems. And they should be compatible with Snow Leopard too, as a lot of people have tried and succeeded. I might buy another SSD when the times comes to put SL on there, so I can have both operating systems on their own SSD.

I’ll try to keep this thread updated as much as possible. But in the mean time are there any tips you guys can give me before starting this build? Or any changes I should make before buying the hardware? Maybe any improvements I should consider?
Is there a decent soundcard for recording that works with Windows 7 and Snow Leopard? Or can I get by with using the line-in on the motherboard?
I hadn’t even thought about how to get Internet running on SL, do I need a network card or are there other solutions? :oops: Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Anyway thanks for all the information that’s on the forums already, and I’ll keep you posted! :headbang:

I think I'm going to hold off on buying for now, because of the rumours of a new iMac with Sandy Bridge support. They say they should be out May 2nd. Or maybe I'll just wait until Tonymac releases his guide, just to be safe (if there is such a thing with hackintoshes).

Quick question though, if I want to use a 1tb hdd for files only, does it need to be formatted to fat32 so it can be used with both SL and Win7?

JTCK said:
Quick question though, if I want to use a 1tb hdd for files only, does it need to be formatted to fat32 so it can be used with both SL and Win7?

id go with ntfs.

osx can read ntfs partitions, just needs write to be enabled in terminal

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785376

btw the case you want is matx, the board you want is atx

Yeah it is a Mini tower, but I read in several reviews that it will fit a mATX or regular ATX.

Well they're here...the new Sandy Bridge iMacs!
I guess I feel more safe buying the components for my build now.

It's too bad that we probably won't be able to use Thunderbolt, but oh well.

I think the only thing I will change on my to-buy list is the graphics card, as the new iMacs all have Radeon HD 6xxx in them.
I am thinking of replacing the 5770 with the 6870, but the new iMacs have either an 6750, 6770 or 6970 mobile graphics card. Does that matter at all?

Probably gonna order later today, if there are no objections to the 6870 :headbang:

Alright!
So I ordered the hardware, put it all together and I think it works!

Now off to install Snow Leopard!
I put iBoot in, it loads the screen and I replace the cd with a Mac OS X 10.6.3 dvd.
After that it loads a white screen with the Apple logo, and a loading image.
That's as far as I get, I can't get past the Apple loading screen...

Anybody have any ideas?

JTCK said:
Alright!
So I ordered the hardware, put it all together and I think it works!

Now off to install Snow Leopard!
I put iBoot in, it loads the screen and I replace the cd with a Mac OS X 10.6.3 dvd.
After that it loads a white screen with the Apple logo, and a loading image.
That's as far as I get, I can't get past the Apple loading screen...

Anybody have any ideas?

great hack!
guides
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=18753
or
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=252849
or
final post
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18957&start=20

test and post results

Thanks JPA! I really like the way it looks, nice and clean :cool:

So you're saying I should use Andy's bootloader instead of the new iBoot 3.0?
I'll try that! Thanks!

JTCK said:
Thanks JPA! I really like the way it looks, nice and clean :cool:

So you're saying I should use Andy's bootloader instead of the new iBoot 3.0?
I'll try that! Thanks!

or try iboot new :p

maybe, use this
Paragon NTFS for Mac v9.0.0 MacOSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back