Gigabyte
CPU
i7 4790
Graphics
AMD 290
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi,

Oki, i have been running OSX for over a year using a install, and it has worked smooth. But I wanted a faster computer so I bought the following hardware:
GA-P55A-UD6 (F6)
i7 860
6 GB Corsair XMS3 (TR3X6G1600C9)

Old hardware
MSI NX-7600GT (My old graphicscard)

I want to run Snow Leopard, I follow Tony's USB guide (Nice guide). But i found that I need to disable firewire, usb 3 and alot of the SATA controllers to get it to start the installation. about 80% through the installation the monitor starts to turn off and on. And the installations doesn't get any further.

I have been runing Hackintosh for a long time, but kept the hacking to a minimum, therefore I know very little to nothing about kext and what have you.

Just to sum up what i did to install Snow Leopard...
I have a 160gb usb drive that I created 1 partition, with a GUID.
un-check Ignore Ownership on the USB drive, then restored a Snow Leopard 10.6 hotiso image on the drive.
Then in installe Chameleon on the USB drive, and i delete mach_kernel + boot and copy new boot, DSDT.aml and Extra folder to the installDrive - do I need any kext? if so, how?

I want to install Snow Leopard on af 150 gb WD Raptor disk, i created 1 partition GUID, and un-checked Ignore Ownership.

Oki, then I boot from the USB drive, and installation crashed about 80% through with the monitor turning on and off.

Been using most of the evening/night, I really hope someone here can help, and bare in mind I am a newbie :)

Kind regards
Mr.morton

Hey there- and welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:

Great that you're trying the USB method, but you can make it easier on yourself and use the Boot CD method if you have a SATA CD/DVD drive. Check out the iBoot + MultiBeast solution here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=401

If you are forced to use IDE, you may need the 10.6.1 graphics kexts before updating to 10.6.2. The 7xxx cards will kernel panic if you attempt to update without first installing these before rebooting.
Public/10.6.1%20Graphics%20Kexts.zip

And you may try moving your mouse around during the installation process- it helps stop the display from sleeping. ;)

Thank you for the quick responce.

Ahhh, ok - so the display can sleep during installation.
I will give move the mouse during installation.

I will give the new method a try.

Being not used to installing OSX, i have a couple of questions...

When should a install the graphics kext?
And how ???

And been thinking about a new graphics card any, what would you recommend ?

Kind regards
Morten

mr.morton said:
Thank you for the quick responce.

Ahhh, ok - so the display can sleep during installation.
I will give move the mouse during installation.

I will give the new method a try.

Being not used to installing OSX, i have a couple of questions...

When should a install the graphics kext?
And how ???

And been thinking about a new graphics card any, what would you recommend ?

Kind regards
Morten

You won't need to know how to install kexts, but have a read through the install guides on my blog- everything you need to know is pretty much explained in detail.

I'd get an nVidia- doesn't really matter which, but 8xxx, 9xxx and 2xx cards all work- just stay the heck away from ATI cards- they're just harder to enable.

Hi,

IT WORKED!!!

Used the iBoot, and I am running 10.6.2 - still had a little trouble booting sometimes.
But now it is running - i have not had the time to test the system properly but ran a quick geekbench - still not the most technical person - so I am not quite sure if my score is ok according to my hardware.
My score: http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/229937

Well anyway the iBoot method was very easy - I am a happy camper so fare.

Thanks alot for your guide - really helpful

mr.morton said:
Hi,

IT WORKED!!!

Used the iBoot, and I am running 10.6.2 - still had a little trouble booting sometimes.
But now it is running - i have not had the time to test the system properly but ran a quick geekbench - still not the most technical person - so I am not quite sure if my score is ok according to my hardware.
My score: http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/229937

Well anyway the iBoot method was very easy - I am a happy camper so fare.

Thanks alot for your guide - really helpful

Awesome- great to hear :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Ahhh - I broke my installation!!!

Got it running - but I just had to try the MultiBeast->Extra->64bit com.apple.boot.plist

I get a Panic!
Kernel Exetnsions in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.geforce(6.0.6)
dependency: com.apple.nvdaResman
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
dependency: com.apple.iokit.iographicsFamily

Yeah I don't know what I am doing - is there any way to fix this, or do i have to reinstall?

Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back