Contribute
Register

No signal to monitor after 10.6.2 patched kernel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hackintosh
CPU
Intel i5
Graphics
ATI 6770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
EDIT: I got it to work! Please see post below.

Hello all,

I really need some help while I still have a shred of sanity left. I'm very new to all this, so please forgive me if I missed anything obvious.

I am able to install in safe mode, (-x), using tonymac's iboot with easybeast as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=401
However, after updating to the patched vesion of 10.6.2 the machine starts to boot and shortly after I see a message about the SMC something or other, the computer stops sending output to the monitor. I've tried -x, -pci1, -pci0, -pci2, etc. DVI, VGA, DVI - VGA adapter. However, it does the same thing. I can boot into single user mode only with a cd that tonymac made based on netkas latest efi.

Here are my specs:
P55-UD3L v.1 Bios F5
ATI HD4670 by Sapphire
4GB Corsair XMS3
Core i5

Here are the steps I took to install:
  • Booted the retail CD with TonyMac's iBoot w/Mulitbeast & EasyBeast (safe mode only)[/*:m:1d2pp8f8]
  • Installed OSX[/*:m:1d2pp8f8]
  • Used easybeast to patch 10.6.0 kernel[/*:m:1d2pp8f8]
  • Reset[/*:m:1d2pp8f8]
  • Installed the Apple combo update for 10.6.2[/*:m:1d2pp8f8]
  • Used easybeast to patch the 10.6.2 kernel[/*:m:1d2pp8f8]
  • Used Multibeast to choose PC-EFI 5.6 booter [/*:m:1d2pp8f8]
  • Installed DSDT for P55-UD3L-F3[/*:m:1d2pp8f8]
  • Reset[/*:m:1d2pp8f8]

Now I see the symptoms above. I know the system is not locked up because I see drive activity and the caps-lock lights respond to to the caps-lock key presses.

Thanks everyone in advance for any help you can offer.

If you have a Core i5 750, you will not need to use a kernel from MultiBeast upon 10.6.2, in fact, you may not even need to run EasyBeast 10.6.2 at all if you've already run EasyBeast 10.6.

@Adamsmasher - no; I'm unable to boot it with a boot CD either unless it's in single user made with all the switches -x etc turned on.

@Tonymacx86 - I have no clue I guess. :) I was following the instructions that you posted at the top of this link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=401

Thanks guys,
Yog70

@Tonymac - On one of my install attempts I reset after the combo update before I ran easybeast to patch 10.6.2 and it failed to load during a different step.

@Adamsmasher - with one of the boot disks I've tried, the video doesn't go out, but it hangs on:
FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length - 6
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
DSMOS had arrived

I think that the first time I ran easybeast the SMC info was in there. Could it have been removed when I applied the second patch? Or perhaps it's the ACPI power management. I'll google both.

Cheers!
Yog70

I would start a fresh install and get everything working in 10.6.0, and then go from there. You should be able to update to 10.6.2 without needing to run anything again (with the possible exception of graphics. I don't use an ATI card so I can't say for sure one way or the other).

@Adamsmasher

That's a good idea. I switched the 4670 out with a 4850 a had in my older Windows system. It seems people have had better luck with it, but I think many have had the same issues.

Thanks,
Yog70

Update:
I got it to work after finding this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211078&st=0&gopid=1422802&#entry1422802

Here are the steps I took:
  • Booted in safe mode, (-x), with Tonymac's ATI boot disk that I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread.[/*:m:2hpm9qwe]
  • Installed OSX.[/*:m:2hpm9qwe]
  • Ran the combo update to 10.6.2, but did not reboot.[/*:m:2hpm9qwe]
  • Ran easybeast 10.6.2, installed utilities, and selected my DSDT file by using multibeast[/*:m:2hpm9qwe]
  • Installed Netka's PC EFI-10.6 by using mulitbeast[/*:m:2hpm9qwe]
  • Rebooted, but I used an HDMI to DVI cable. HDMI - HDMI probably would work too.[/*:m:2hpm9qwe]
**Note** I had VGA plugged into my monitor too, no signal, but I figured I better note it in case it had an impact on my results.

Much to my surprise the video worked! I can see the ripple effect when I add a widget, but Warhammer Online gave me a black screen, so I'm probably still missing a few things.

Thank you Tonymacx86 for your awesome boot disks. Netkas and Plastikman for their work and help as well. Suprem3 and Dino7777 for the post mentioned above. Adamsmasher for replying to my posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back