2. The the OSX drive was disconnected.
3. Win7 was installed on the second drive (SATA). There are 3 partitions:
- Win7 OS
- DATA
- DATA
4. Each OS can be loaded in such cases
- F12 pressed and boot hard drive is selected
- Hard drive boot priority is changed in BIOS
5. Issue: why i can't boot Win7 from Chameleon? The following error is appears when i select Windows NTFS partition to boot from Chameleon:
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause..."
File: \Boot\BCD

Thanks!

Re: SL/Win7 dual boot on separate drives issue

Hi,

did you read the Blog-Entry from tony? There is a guide how to install Win 7 and SL on seperate HDDs.

Another thingy: Did you change the SATA mode to AHCI after you installed Win 7? If so you have to change a registry entry in Windows.

Yes, I did read tony's manual. But guide for separate drives is pretty simple

1. Install multiple operating systems on separate hard drives.
2. Go to CMOS Setup Utility and choose Advanced BIOS Features.
3. Select Hard Disk Boot Priority.
4. Move your Chameleon OS X hard drive to top of list.
5. Boot into Chameleon and choose your Operating System.

And I can't boot Win7 from Chameleon.

I have changed SATA to ACHI in the beginning (before installation of OS) and never changed it back.

Thanks for reply!

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937251:

Additionally, when you install Windows 7, the installation creates a 100MB system partition alongside the Windows partition by default. The system partition is created to accommodate a Bitlocker requirement. Bitlocker requires that the boot files and Windows files are located on separate partitions. By default, the 100MB system partition is created on the disk that is detected as Disk 0. If you install Windows to a disk other than Disk 0, the 100MB system partition will still be created on Disk 0 during the installation.

Can Win7 have been trying to search its boot files on Disk 0, when is booting from Disk 1?

Select System Reserved icon to boot Win7.

I will try. But there many icons in the boot screen (all my partitions) and they don't fit fully to the screen. May be i have a 'missed system reserved' icon out of the screen. Should "System reserved icon" always be present?

magpier said:
I will try. But there many icons in the boot screen (all my partitions) and they don't fit fully to the screen. May be i have a 'missed system reserved' icon out of the screen. Should "System reserved icon" always be present?
Unless you deliberately installed on a preformatted partition the System Reserved partition will be there. To clean up your boot screen try using the hide partition key in your com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>"Name1" Name2" "Name3"</string>

Where Name1,2,3 etc are the names of the non-bootable partitions you don't need to see

Thanks! All issues resolved in a following way.

I corrupted my OS by wrong installation of 10.6.8 update. So, I setting up my new installation.

1. I connected SATA2-0 to DVD-RW, SATA2-1 to OSX HDD and SATA2-2 not connected to Win HDD.
2. I have installed and configured OSX.
3. I have plugged back SATA2-2 cable to Win HDD.
4. Dual boot is working with chameleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back