Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

@buddyjack2 I would not recommend your choice of pre-build system to anyone considering building a Hackintosh.
  1. The CPU's IGPU is unsupported, may never be fully supported
  2. The Z590 chipset is still problematic, too new and not used by Apple, if it ever will be.
  3. The dGPU is unsupported and not expected to be used in a MacPro as Apple have opted for the higher rated dGPU's in AMD's RX 6000-series.
Unless you are some wizard with creating macOS compatible kexts you are going to put yourself through a lot of unnecessary pain and torment trying to hack this system. It is unlikely you will ever get it 100% working with macOS. Even when you butcher your working Kaby Lake system to pull the RX 5700 XT for the new system.

You would be better served getting a Z490 with a 10th Gen i9 CPU and an RX 6800, 6800 XT or 6900 XT dGPU. You would at least have a fighting chance with this build. It probably wouldn't be much less capable than the one you are thinking about purchasing.

@buddyjack2 I would not recommend your choice of pre-build system to anyone considering building a Hackintosh.
  1. The CPU's IGPU is unsupported, may never be fully supported
  2. The Z590 chipset is still problematic, too new and not used by Apple, if it ever will be.
  3. The dGPU is unsupported and not expected to be used in a MacPro as Apple have opted for the higher rated dGPU's in AMD's RX 6000-series.
Unless you are some wizard with creating macOS compatible kexts you are going to put yourself through a lot of unnecessary pain and torment trying to hack this system. It is unlikely you will ever get it 100% working with macOS. Even when you butcher your working Kaby Lake system to pull the RX 5700 XT for the new system.

You would be better served getting a Z490 with a 10th Gen i9 CPU and an RX 6800, 6800 XT or 6900 XT dGPU. You would at least have a fighting chance with this build. It probably wouldn't be much less capable than the one you are thinking about purchasing.
Exactly, well said. Kind of told him the same thing in the post before but I like your breakdown on it.

Am considering upgrading my rig to a custom-build from CyberpowerPC and would greatly appreciate any advance warnings or advice. It'll be an i9-11900K CPU, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Extreme mobo. The build comes with AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT which I already see on here is unsupported, but I plan to swap it out for my existing Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT, at least until when/if the 6700 XT is supported. Built-in WiFi is Intel 6E AX210 which, again, I see is unsupported but it looks like CaseySJ found a workaround in a different thread on here. And, lastly, it coems with TB4 USB-C ports which I've never encountered but see from this website can be difficult to get hotplug working on. Aside from these issues, does anyone have any experience with a Z590 Aorus Extreme mobo and an 11th-gen i9 CPU? How "advanced" a Hackintosh user would I need to be to get most everything compatible with BigSur (and/or Monterey)? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Hello @buddyjack2,

The Intel AX210 WiFi 6E module is still unsupported by OpenIntelWireless. I was suggesting an experiment to see whether it might work if we spoofed its device ID to that of AX200. I don't think anyone tried the experiment so we don't have an answer.

The latest WhateverGreen released today supports the ability to spoof AMD Radeon 6000-series device-IDs. The feature was specifically developed for users of certain Radeon 6900 XTXH models, but as an experiment someone could even spoof the device ID of the 6700 XT to 0x73BF to see what happens. Again, no one has done this yet (afaik) so we don't know what will happen.

Fortunately:
  • You can replace the Intel AX210 with an Intel AX200 module instead. When OpenIntelWireless drivers do finally support the AX210, you can pop it back in.
  • You can use your existing Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT with boot-arg agdpmod=pikera. If macOS supports the 6700XT in the future (this might happen because the 6700 device IDs are already in one of the AMD kexts in macOS Big Sur and Monterey) then replace the 5700 XT with the 6700 XT.

Hello @buddyjack2,

The Intel AX210 WiFi 6E module is still unsupported by OpenIntelWireless. I was suggesting an experiment to see whether it might work if we spoofed its device ID to that of AX200. I don't think anyone tried the experiment so we don't have an answer.

The latest WhateverGreen released today supports the ability to spoof AMD Radeon 6000-series device-IDs. The feature was specifically developed for users of certain Radeon 6900 XTXH models, but as an experiment someone could even spoof the device ID of the 6700 XT to 0x73BF to see what happens. Again, no one has done this yet (afaik) so we don't know what will happen.

Fortunately:
  • You can replace the Intel AX210 with an Intel AX200 module instead. When OpenIntelWireless drivers do finally support the AX210, you can pop it back in.
  • You can use your existing Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT with boot-arg agdpmod=pikera. If macOS supports the 6700XT in the future (this might happen because the 6700 device IDs are already in one of the AMD kexts in macOS Big Sur and Monterey) then replace the 5700 XT with the 6700 XT.
You are a lot more optimistic with your reply than I was, @Edhawk as well. I know with all your expertise you could persevere and get to it but I’m not sure our friend @buddyjack2 has that skill level. Not sure I could make that configuration go without help…

Hello @buddyjack2,

Fortunately:
@CaseySJ, if you guide me on this path with the RX6700XT I could be your test subject. I have that card and itching to take it away from my sons gaming PC :)

@CaseySJ, if you guide me on this path with the RX6700XT I could be your test subject. I have that card and itching to take it away from my sons gaming PC :)
Looking at the source code for WhateverGreen, it seems that we just need to specify device-id in DeviceProperties section of config.plist and give it the value 0x73BF.

The screenshot below is for the Gigabyte Z390 Designare. The PCI path of the GPU in slot 1 is shown under Devices, then device-id is added as a property on the right.

The PCI path for your motherboard may be different. But see that pop-up menu at the bottom of the screenshot, called List of PCI Devices? Just choose your VGA Controller from there; if there are two VGA controllers, choose the second one and check the model property that will appear automatically.

For device-id, try BF730000 as shown.
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 3.24.18 AM.png

Thanks everyone for your replies! My current Kaby Lake setup is my first and only Hackintosh; I'd diligently followed Buyer's Advice on here back in 2017 and as a result it's run without a hiccup since my first boot. I don't even know what a kernel panic looks like, thanks to the guides and help here. So I'd be pretty much of an idiot if I ignored all the answers to my post now :)

I'm not a DIY hardware type and, consequently, I depend on pre-builts. But they're very customizable at CyberpowerPC and I know I can reconfigure one according to people's recommendations here.

My Hack has to be dual-boot Win/Mac for work purposes. TBH, I wasn't planning on an upgrade at all until I learned that Windows 11 won't be supporting 7th-gen CPUs like my current one. On the Mac side, I do use Adobe apps and so have shied away from considering Ryzens; from what I read they can require tinkering to get Photoshop and other applications to run smoothly.

The reason I was considering the Rocket Lake level now is because back in 2017, I was on the cusp of many Hacks' widespread success with Coffee Lake CPUs, but I decided to hang back at tried-and-tested Kaby Lake for safety's sake. Yes, the i7-7700 worked perfectly but I felt obsolesced within a few months. Now in 2021, I'd assumed the early buzz about Z590s was similar to the situation when Z370s were being experimented with and quickly adopted. But no, my skill isn't nearly proficient enough to be a pioneer and apparently there's far less chance of even experts succeeding with Rocket Lake (and beyond) than there was when they were testing Coffee Lake.

I'll be following any developments with the RX 6700XT before making a final decision to pull the 5700 XT from my current setup. I'd like to potentially sell that rig on the used market; its non-compatibility with Win11 is bad enough but canabalizing its dGPU could make it downright useless.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Thanks everyone for your replies! My current Kaby Lake setup is my first and only Hackintosh; I'd diligently followed Buyer's Advice on here back in 2017 and as a result it's run without a hiccup since my first boot. I don't even know what a kernel panic looks like, thanks to the guides and help here. So I'd be pretty much of an idiot if I ignored all the answers to my post now :)

I'm not a DIY hardware type and, consequently, I depend on pre-builts. But they're very customizable at CyberpowerPC and I know I can reconfigure one according to people's recommendations here.

My Hack has to be dual-boot Win/Mac for work purposes. TBH, I wasn't planning on an upgrade at all until I learned that Windows 11 won't be supporting 7th-gen CPUs like my current one. On the Mac side, I do use Adobe apps and so have shied away from considering Ryzens; from what I read they can require tinkering to get Photoshop and other applications to run smoothly.

The reason I was considering the Rocket Lake level now is because back in 2017, I was on the cusp of many Hacks' widespread success with Coffee Lake CPUs, but I decided to hang back at tried-and-tested Kaby Lake for safety's sake. Yes, the i7-7700 worked perfectly but I felt obsolesced within a few months. Now in 2021, I'd assumed the early buzz about Z590s was similar to the situation when Z370s were being experimented with and quickly adopted. But no, my skill isn't nearly proficient enough to be a pioneer and apparently there's far less chance of even experts succeeding with Rocket Lake (and beyond) than there was when they were testing Coffee Lake.

I'll be following any developments with the RX 6700XT before making a final decision to pull the 5700 XT from my current setup. I'd like to potentially sell that rig on the used market; its non-compatibility with Win11 is bad enough but canabalizing its dGPU could make it downright useless.

Thanks again for all your advice!
I think its early yet to rule out 7th generation intel CPUs, Microsoft has gone back and forth on that subject.

Asus compatible TPM 2.0 modules, with 14-1 pins, are readily available if you need one to get your Z270 motherboard working with Windows 11. This is a simple fix and may not be necessary, as Leesureone said, Microsoft haven't finalised the system requirements for Windows 11 yet.

What makes you think your Kaby Lake system is obsolete? It will run any application, routine and process you need on a macOS or Windows. Maybe slightly slower than a 10th Series CPU, but not so much you would notice in real world functions. If you said you were using a Haswell build then you might have some reasons to talk about obsolescence.

I think of computer obsolescence like this, as soon as you buy something it is obsolete. The manufacturers will have the next 'greatest, best' one waiting in the wings ready for release within 6-12 months. Unless you are loaded with money to spare/waste, keeping up with cutting edge technology is a costly and never ending game. You will pay top dollar for the 'new' kit, which will immediately be worth less as soon as you plug it in. You would be better served settling for components you need to do your job or work processes in a reasonable timeframe, not what is the newest. My two pennies worth.

Interesting about TPM, I wasn't aware it may be the main stumbling-block for me to run Windows 11 on my setup. In my mobo BIOS Guide the only mention of TPM is per the screenshot attached; no other explanation given but I assume I'd choose the "dTPM" option if I were to get a 2.0 module such as you mention? I think it's set for "PTT" now.

Re obsolescence: no, I hadn't thought my system was outdated until I got a load of Windows 11's (preliminary) CPU qualifications. No inclusion of 7th-gen, at least as Microsoft first revealed, was an eye-opener that couldn't help but make someone blame the age of his excluded setup. We have a dozen PCs at my office that wouldn't qualify, either... but I haven't suggested to my boss that our equipment is obsolete, LOL. Yet.

That said, however, I do like to keep current on OS's whether Mac or Windows. I'm happily running BigSur 11.5.1 on my Hack and hope/expect to migrate to Monterey on it this fall. It would be nice to keep up on the Windows side, as well, without having to re-invest in an entirely new system.

Unfortunately... I see that CyperpowerPC no longer configures its Intel gaming desktops with anything less than Z590s. So if I want a prebuilt it may already be too late for me to follow the suggestions on this website :(

Attachments

• fromBiosGuide.jpg
    fromBiosGuide.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 64
Back